PDA

View Full Version : MLB Star Admits To Taking Steroids

BigBank_Hank
12-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Jason Giambi (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1936592) says that he did take steroids and human growth hormones.

He also said that he got those steroids from Barry Bonds’ personal trainer, which isn’t good news for Barry. Barry is on pace to become the all time home run king and if he is guilty of taking these drugs his records should be taken away.

Busyman
12-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Jason Giambi (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1936592) says that he did take steroids and human growth hormones.

He also said that he got those steroids from Barry Bonds’ personal trainer, which isn’t good news for Barry. Barry is on pace to become the all time home run king and if he is guilty of taking these drugs his records should be taken away.
Agreed but....it should only happen if....

Barry Bonds admits to taking steroids.

or

He fails a drug test.

The thing is, let's say Barry took steroids 3 years ago. He would be a fool to be taking them now.

j2k4
12-02-2004, 09:39 PM
I am frightfully close to swearing off professional sports. :(

Afronaut
12-02-2004, 09:48 PM
I dont follow "professional sports" anymore.

Couple of years ago the Finnish team of Skiers got caught so pants down it was a huge shock, even for me.

It wasnt just one guy getting caught, it was systematical doping on the Team.

The media follow up was pretty intense. Got OD of that also.

I lost my interest on Professional Sports, I didnt even follow the olympics at all last summer.

I watch some football or hockey sometimes thought..

RPerry
12-02-2004, 11:09 PM
I agree with most of you here. If Barry Bonds is proven to be using steriods, his records should be taken away, but I also think he should be banned. It makes him just as bad as any of the players involved in the Blacksox scandle, and way worse than Pete Rose. Cheating is cheating, and Jason Giambi should be banished as well.

j2k4
12-03-2004, 08:07 AM
I agree with most of you here. If Barry Bonds is proven to be using steriods, his records should be taken away, but I also think he should be banned. It makes him just as bad as any of the players involved in the Blacksox scandle, and way worse than Pete Rose. Cheating is cheating, and Jason Giambi should be banished as well.

I think I can go with you on banishment, Rob. ;)

hobbes
12-04-2004, 04:36 AM
Don't you guys feel that this is the very tip of the iceberg?

Afronaut
12-04-2004, 10:43 AM
I have very little trust for any Top Sport athletes, regarding doping.

They take a piss and the cup melts everytime.

A buddy of mine did triathlon some years back,
on a county level, in Finland (ffs).
He couldn't compete as ppl was using stuff at that level allready.
He did it more for a fun and being in shape than seriously competing.

Made me wonder what its like on a National and the International level.

For example, is there a single athlete out there without the Asthma ?
And what about the "needed" allergies to get the medicin that helps the breathing...

j2k4
12-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Don't you guys feel that this is the very tip of the iceberg?

Absolutely.

I've been waiting for the lid to be pried off this one for twenty years.

Afronaut-

I've thought the same way for many years; I am confident at this point in my life that had I not wrecked a knee in high school I'd be retired from the NFL by now (I was talking to scouts from U. of Wisconsin as a sophmore; this was when the recruiting rules were even more seriously flouted than now).

I was pretty good.

It so happens, though, that had I actually made the grade, I'd probably be dead from getting caught-up in the initial explosion of steriod use.

As it is, I'm a walking medical miracle; actually realizing my dream would have been the worst thing that could have happened to me.

Biggles
12-04-2004, 08:49 PM
It is rather sad that it has become so commonplace for top sportsmen to take these things.

I was, however, rather taken with the tale of one (Jamaican, I think) athlete who failed a drugs test - they found he had been smoking cannabis. Surely he should have been given a head start and anything distracting removed from his line of sight. :blink:

j2k4
12-05-2004, 01:24 AM
It is rather sad that it has become so commonplace for top sportsmen to take these things.

I was, however, rather taken with the tale of one (Jamaican, I think) athlete who failed a drugs test - they found he had been smoking cannabis. Surely he should have been given a head start and anything distracting removed from his line of sight. :blink:

Yes; he was a long-distance runner, if memory serves...

Lost a big race to score some corn chips from a spectator or something?

Sounds right.

"Hey, you!! No food on the field!!" :lol:

RPerry
12-05-2004, 02:10 AM
In this situation though, what would the rest of you like see happen ?Should Giambi be allowed to play anymore ? Should Bonds be allowed to play on, and overtake 2 of the best Power hitters in baseball history, cheating for the last few years ?

j2k4
12-05-2004, 01:21 PM
In this situation though, what would the rest of you like see happen ?Should Giambi be allowed to play anymore ? Should Bonds be allowed to play on, and overtake 2 of the best Power hitters in baseball history, cheating for the last few years ?

Shoeless Joe was banned for life.

Pete Rose should never be allowed into the H.O.F.

Both men were punished over gambling/betting offenses (evidence in Joe's case was somewhat tenuous).

Use of steroids must surely account for some "home-runs" that, in other cases, would have been flyouts or doubles, which would definitely affect outcomes of games and the betting likewise.

I say banish them and take an eraser to the record books; make Bonds return his MVPs, and launch a full-scale investigation with mandatory drug-screens for everybody, and the next season doesn't start until this is done.

3RA1N1AC
12-09-2004, 01:35 AM
if something were to be done purely for the sake of preserving the sport's integrity, there'd be no question about it. catch all of the cheaters and give 'em the boot. when these stories started coming up again, on one hand i thought "i can't believe all of the commentators are even considering the possibility that the MLB will let this slide, let phoney stats remain on the books, let phoney players into the hall of fame, etc." but on the other hand, i could believe it 'cause pro sports are not just sport; they're also business. to seriously pursue the issue, and reveal just how widespread the steroid problem is, would be damaging to not only the images of those players in particular, but to the image of the sport as a whole and to the wallets of the teams' owners. so, somehow, i could easily imagine them trying to sweep it all under the rug as quickly as possible and hoping the fans forget about it after a while, 'cause... $. and $. and $$$.

j2k4
12-10-2004, 12:56 AM
if something were to be done purely for the sake of preserving the sport's integrity, there'd be no question about it. catch all of the cheaters and give 'em the boot. when these stories started coming up again, on one hand i thought "i can't believe all of the commentators are even considering the possibility that the MLB will let this slide, let phoney stats remain on the books, let phoney players into the hall of fame, etc." but on the other hand, i could believe it 'cause pro sports are not just sport; they're also business. to seriously pursue the issue, and reveal just how widespread the steroid problem is, would be damaging to not only the images of those players in particular, but to the image of the sport as a whole and to the wallets of the teams' owners. so, somehow, i could easily imagine them trying to sweep it all under the rug as quickly as possible and hoping the fans forget about it after a while, 'cause... $. and $. and $$$.

I agree...

I don't think the "sweeping" part will happen (unsuccessful attempts to do so will surely be made), but it will certainly be amusing to observe the tortured logic emitted by the players union, the agents, and legal mouthpieces trying to salvage a situation that would be best (and most easily) handled by abject acceptance that a problem exists, penalties must be handed out, sins confessed, records re-written, and amends be made.

And Barry Bonds should drop the attitude (better yet, he should retire). ;)

Busyman
12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
I agree...

I don't think the "sweeping" part will happen (unsuccessful attempts to do so will surely be made), but it will certainly be amusing to observe the tortured logic emitted by the players union, the agents, and legal mouthpieces trying to salvage a situation that would be best (and most easily) handled by abject acceptance that a problem exists, penalties must be handed out, sins confessed, records re-written, and amends be made.

And Barry Bonds should drop the attitude (better yet, he should retire). ;)
Barry Bonds will break Babe's then Hank's records.

He would be a fool to take steroids now yet he still hits home runs and looks the same.

Fishing expedition is over.

I heard nothing of Mark Mcgwire's record. Mr. Andro

j2k4
12-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Barry Bonds will break Babe's then Hank's records.

He would be a fool to take steroids now yet he still hits home runs and looks the same.

Fishing expedition is over.

I heard nothing of Mark Mcgwire's record. Mr. Andro

Is it your contention Bonds is something other than a steroid user, B?

He "looks the same"?

The same as what?

This is not now, nor has it ever been, "a fishing expedition".

It is instead the culmination and confirmation of what has been suspected for quite some time.

I believe androstenadione (McGwire's fave) should be officially "outlawed", and McGwire's stats questioned also.

I didn't mention him in other posts as his name is not (yet) part of the story extant.

Thanks for the reminder, though; McGwire should not escape the eraser.