PDA

View Full Version : church advert not being shown

vidcc
12-03-2004, 02:18 AM
Tv stations cbs and nbc are not showing an advert from the United Church of Christ because it has been deemed too controversial and against company policy.

the advert shows people entering a church that has "bouncers" (doormen/security) that stop a gay couple entering, then it says that God doesn't judge so we at the United Church of Christ don't...join our church (in so many words)

CBS has a longstanding policy against accepting advocacy or issue-oriented ads and NBC declared the ad. was "too controversial."..

my view is that TV companies have every right to choose what is aired on their networks however it's sad that we are now in a society where a church needs to make such an advert in the first place.

edit: one source but there are many (http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041202/NEWS08/412020385/1001&lead=1)

Samurai
12-03-2004, 02:20 AM
Indeed.

backlash
12-03-2004, 02:39 PM
this is just ridiculous. I thought we're supposed to progress in life, not regress.

dwightfry
12-03-2004, 04:48 PM
We live in a land where a lesbian kiss on the tele is no big deal. Where sitcoms base there entire story line on gay relationships and gay jokes. But to show an advert with the intention of welcoming this orientation into the church is controversial.

I love america.

hobbes
12-03-2004, 05:48 PM
my view is that TV companies have every right to choose what is aired on their networks however it's sad that we are now in a society where a church needs to make such an advert in the first place.

Why is it sad? Please explain.

vidcc
12-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Why is it sad? Please explain.Sad that society...especially churches make "different" people feel unwelcome.

I am a non believer but wasn't jesus a compasionate man? didn't he say let he who is without sin cast the first stone ? would you wish to enter a church that preached your life as sin instead of accepting you as just another of gods children?

Hope this explains where i am coming from :)

Rat Faced
12-03-2004, 07:15 PM
vidcc, your talking about people that cant decide whether its "An eye for an Eye" or "Turn the Other Cheek"..

What Christians believe comes down to which brand they are using...

vidcc
12-03-2004, 07:18 PM
vidcc, your talking about people that cant decide whether its "An eye for an Eye" or "Turn the Other Cheek"..

What Christians believe comes down to which brand they are using...
I fully realise this rat, I was just passing my opinion on it. I just find it sad.

Mentioning "turning the other cheek" on this particular thread is quite clever though :lol:

hobbes
12-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Yes Vidcc,

You have pointed out the very reason why organized religion has become the burden it is.

It is the very literal interpretation of the Bible or whatever Holy Book, that causes it to shun certain people or create conflict within the religion and among different religions.

No one can know God, it is preposterous that God wrote or inspired the Bible more than any other Holy Scripture.

Why can't people, who feel the need to make up a God and make up what he wants us to do just keep it simple.

God created man
God loves man
God made each individual personally, and each person acts as he was created, in his own unique way.
God only desires that men respect the rights of others to seek pleasure as they see fit and not to seek pleasures that infringe upon the rights of others.
Endeavor to enrich both your mental and physical health, be a resource physically and emotionally for others in need.
View each man as your brother, as we are all Gods' children. Color and creed are irrelevant.

See you all in Heavan

~G ;)

Religion should be a support pillar for communal strength, the one thing we all have in common. Unfortunately, it just builds walls.

j2k4
12-04-2004, 01:07 AM
my view is that TV companies have every right to choose what is aired on their networks...

Better not to think of this in terms of "rights", vid; it is more correctly viewed as the freedom to push the envelope and/or pander, but also enjoy the ensuing backlash of consumer reaction for having freely aired such an ill-advised message.

This is an excellent example reminiscent of the Whoopi Goldberg incident during the campaign, with this particular net taking over the Whoopi role and getting a righteous smack for it's insolence.

Hmmmm.

Whither the stockholders?

j2k4
12-04-2004, 01:12 AM
See you all in Heavan

Hobbes-

Please fix this?

Thank you... :)

vidcc
12-04-2004, 01:21 AM
Better not to think of this in terms of "rights", vid; it is more correctly viewed as the freedom to push the envelope and/or pander, but also enjoy the ensuing backlash of consumer reaction for having freely aired such an ill-advised message.
?
what is ill advised about a church saying "we take all in" ?

j2k4
12-04-2004, 01:28 AM
what is ill advised about a church saying "we take all in" ?

Are you now saying you didn't object to the commercial? :huh:

hobbes
12-04-2004, 01:41 AM
Hobbes-

Please fix this?

Thank you... :)

Oh no, it is "heavan".

I did not want to co-opt the Christian term.

I created my own word to avoid stepping on the toes of those who are married to their Christian God. ;)

Thanks for your understanding.

j2k4
12-04-2004, 01:44 AM
Oh no, it is "heavan".

I did not want to co-opt the Christian term.

I created my own word to avoid stepping on the toes of those who are married to their Christian God. ;)

Thanks for your understanding.

Ah.

You are indeed welcome.

I will find you there afterward, be it one or the other-of that I am confident. ;)

DanB
12-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Your churches advertise on telly for members to join their congregation? :blink:

j2k4
12-04-2004, 01:56 AM
Your churches advertise on telly for members to join their congregation? :blink:

They are free to do so, though I must say this one was a first for me.

I don't see an upside to the practice.

vidcc
12-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Are you now saying you didn't object to the commercial? :huh:
i didn't say i objected in the first place, :unsure: , i just said i find it sad that it needed to be made at all.

However nice dodge but we/I would like to know what you found "ill-advised" about it

DanB
12-04-2004, 02:03 AM
I don't even know what to make of that really, I have never ever seen anything like that in the UK though.

I can't really see any good of it though, I don't see religion as a product you need to 'sell' to someone

vidcc
12-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Danb.
We have many purely religion based tv stations here so adverts aren't really needed however this one was directed at groups that feel excluded from churches.

What was that song that had the lines "God's going to buy me a salelite" ?

hobbes
12-04-2004, 02:08 AM
I don't even know what to make of that really, I have never ever seen anything like that in the UK though.

I can't really see any good of it though, I don't see religion as a product you need to 'sell' to someone

You know, I can't recall ever seeing a "church" commercial here in the states, either.

It would be quite a rare event.

Edit: As Vidcc said above, but better than I. Except he meant "satellite"

vidcc
12-04-2004, 02:11 AM
You know, I can't recall ever seeing a "church" commercial here in the states, either.

Edit: As Vidcc said above, but better
I've seen a few local(ish) adverts from churches but they weren't "calls to prayer" rather publicising events etc. then at the end mentioning the church

vidcc
12-04-2004, 02:14 AM
no i meant satelite, I created my own word to avoid stepping on the toes of those who are married to their dictionary God :D

j2k4
12-04-2004, 02:31 AM
However nice dodge but we/I would like to know what you found "ill-advised" about it

Oh, sorry-

No dodge intended, just thought the piece was a bit crude; I would contend (as one who believes, though in a largely non-denominational fashion) that, especially at this particular point in time, religion is best served by a certain magnanimity I didn't see in evidence.

That is to say, as rough a go as Christian religion is having these days, it does them no credit to act like political rivals, with the attendent vitriol, etc.

j2k4
12-04-2004, 02:34 AM

I have seen "Calls to Worship"; the "what" and "where" of it, but not this type of thing.

As an initial effort, a small property, I think.