PDA

View Full Version : SuprNova Moves Towards Decentralization

freak
11-24-2004, 11:03 PM
I tried to get in but didn't so if someone here did do u want to send it to me ;) and does anyone know what it is exactly? another BTClient?

ZaZu
12-03-2004, 12:31 PM
BitTorrent has quickly become one of the most popular P2P protocols on the Internet. In terms of bandwidth consumption, it is quite easily the most popular network, generating more Internet traffic than FastTrack or eDonkey2000. While BitTorrent is certainly efficient in distributing large files across the Internet, it is plagued by one vulnerability - its reliance on centralization.

The BitTorrent tracker, similar to a central server, has been the great weakness of any P2P network. Although BitTorrent trackers do not operate identically to indexing servers, they still act like traffic cops - directing traffic to their intended destination. SuprNova.org, while not a tracker per se, still operates as a impromptu tracker as it points traffic to the actual tracker. Regardless, the bandwidth consumption remains enormous. This equates to prolonged searches, lengthy load times and other typical slow downs associated with the World Wide Web.

One of the great resolutions to depending on centralized servers has been decentralization. Initiated by NullSoft's Gnutella, decentralized P2P networks have revolutionized file-sharing by making them impervious to "pulling the plug" as was Napster's and Scour's fate. This has long been a fear of many BitTorrent fans - pull the Tracker plug and there goes a portion of the network. However, it appears that SuprNova.org has found a solution to this problem. Meet Exeem.

Exeem is a new file-sharing application being developed by the folks at SuprNova.org. Exeem is a decentralized BitTorrent network that basically makes everyone a Tracker. Individuals will share Torrents, and seed shared files to the network. At this time, details and the full potential of this project are being kept very quiet. However it appears this P2P application will completely replace SuprNova.org; no more web mirrors, no more bottle necks and no more slow downs.

Exeem will marry the best features of a decentralized network, the easy searchability of an indexing server and the swarming powers of the BitTorrent network into one program. Currently, the network is in beta testing and already has 5,000 users (the beta testing is closed.) Once this program goes public, its potential is enormous.

For more information, read Google's search on "Exeem SuprNova" here. (http://www.google.com/search?q=exeem%20suprnova&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=fw)

Source (http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=616)

Sounds interesting I hope they include anonymity features like Mute (http://mute-net.sourceforge.net/)

DanB
12-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Sounds interesting.

I saw them asking for beta testers before the downtime I guess this is what it was for

ziggyjuarez
12-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Cool.Cant wait for the release.Is eny one here a tester?

KhalidB
12-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Will this program be open source? Obviously they can't release source yet because they want to keep it a secret beta but what about when public? I'm not some kind of free software hippy but if people can change the source then they can make their own. The original BT client looks absolute crap compared to something like azureus.

freak
12-03-2004, 04:24 PM
My question is how are they keeping track of the users and preventing people from leaking it... If ur a tester leak it to me lol

4play
12-03-2004, 04:34 PM
they will not have to open source this app since bittorent was released under the mit liscense.

http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

KhalidB
12-03-2004, 08:37 PM
they will not have to open source this app since bittorent was released under the mit liscense.

http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

I know they don't have to but it would be nice. I said that lots of really good buttorrent clients have been made due to the source being open (azureus, etc). They seem like nice people over at suprnova so I am sure it will be open.

Storm
12-04-2004, 01:11 AM
I know they don't have to but it would be nice. I said that lots of really good buttorrent clients have been made due to the source being open (azureus, etc). They seem like nice people over at suprnova so I am sure it will be open.

it would be in their own interest to make it opensource......... but then again, open source will limit the profitability..........

i dont know how suprnova works legally, but that could be a indication of where its going..........

{I}{K}{E}
12-04-2004, 10:57 AM
knowing suprnova.org support spyware, I bet it would also be in the tools they will create.

Storm
12-04-2004, 12:07 PM
knowing suprnova.org support spyware, I bet it would also be in the tools they will create.

so it will be just like kazaa.........

you get a technically good program, they add spyware, it gets ripped out, and we get a good program without spyware which gets flooded by fakes.......

Peerzy
12-04-2004, 03:55 PM
http://img102.exs.cx/img102/9131/36-exeem.jpg
:ph34r:

freak
12-04-2004, 05:57 PM
ahh c'mon people this is filesharing... Release the download for this...

Peerzy
12-04-2004, 07:25 PM
I personally hate Suprnova, but what proof do you have that they 'support' spyware.

{I}{K}{E}
12-04-2004, 07:33 PM
I personally hate Suprnova, but what proof do you have that they 'support' spyware.

they had a popup which advertised 'bittorrent'. It all looked like it advertised the original bittorrent client but it was a custom made version with... Spyware

freak
12-04-2004, 07:45 PM
they had a popup which advertised 'bittorrent'. It all looked like it advertised the original bittorrent client but it was a custom made version with... Spyware

If I remember right wasn't that a sponsers popup and once it was reported and they found out didn't they remove it?

{I}{K}{E}
12-04-2004, 07:49 PM
If I remember right wasn't that a sponsers popup and once it was reported and they found out didn't they remove it?

dunno but I still dont trust them...

what I also find strange is why ask for free mirrors when they make alot of money from the ads and donations??

Peerzy
12-04-2004, 07:58 PM
dunno but I still dont trust them...

what I also find strange is why ask for free mirrors when they make alot of money from the ads and donations??
they ask for free mirrors but im sure they accept mirrors at cheaper prices. Also hat bitorent add was by a company who advertised on the site they changed here links all of a sudden and had the spyware thing up. SN removed as soon as they found out. They dont support spyware......but there still shit:P

DanB
12-04-2004, 08:02 PM
We have ads that supprt scam filsharing, does that mean FST supports it too? :unsure:

Peerzy
12-04-2004, 08:05 PM
We have ads that supprt scam filsharing, does that mean FST supports it too? :unsure:
This means IKE doesnt support FST either....

IKE say it aint so:crying::crying::crying:....

The only difference beween the ads here and they ads at Suprnova is they removed theres when they found out they had spyware and shit, we just leave them for teh n00bs to be consumed by:01:.

{I}{K}{E}
12-04-2004, 08:39 PM
This means IKE doesnt support FST either....

IKE say it aint so:crying::crying::crying:....

The only difference beween the ads here and they ads at Suprnova is they removed theres when they found out they had spyware and shit, we just leave them for teh n00bs to be consumed by:01:.

If I had acces to the settings for it I would change it.
Are we going off-topic :huh:
:lol:

uNz[i]
12-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Just a bit... :lol:

I've found a few different versions of the eXeem beta on ed2k, but you'll need a serial to get it to connect to the network.
( /me wonders how peerzy managed it... :unsure: )
And don't be fooled by copies titled "with serial" ...coz they're lying. :dry:

It won't stop you being able to look at what the prog currently has to offer though.. ;)

btw... here's a rather interesting discussion (http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8240&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) about eXeem on the Slyck forums.
Edit: and here's (http://rorexrobots.com/ex/howto.html) the beta setup howto with many many screenshots.

Peerzy
12-04-2004, 09:12 PM
If I had acces to the settings for it I would change it.
Are we going off-topic :huh:
:lol: You have access to PM people? Rookie has access to recieve Pm's:unsure:.

']
( /me wonders how peerzy managed it... :unsure: )

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

DanB
12-04-2004, 09:24 PM
peerzy is a 1337 hax0r don't you know

uNz[i]
12-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Either that, or he's just found more screenshots than I did. :lol:

DanB
12-04-2004, 09:48 PM
']Either that, or he's just found more screenshots than I did. :lol:

Quite possibly :lol:

I just read that thread on Slyck, it raises a few interesting questions

Peerzy
12-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Nope this time im no bullshiting....i have a serial number :D .

RealitY
12-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Bah give crtedit where its due perhaps...
:P :P

orcutt989
12-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Everyone, stop being idiots and complaining about suprnova spyware. You know you arent supposed to click popups, so stop complaining. Suprnova has to pay for their massive bandwidth consumption somehow? How else would they do it? Prostitution?

Peerzy
12-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Everyone, stop being idiots and complaining about suprnova spyware. You know you arent supposed to click popups, so stop complaining. Suprnova has to pay for their massive bandwidth consumption somehow? How else would they do it? Prostitution?
Massive bandwidth consumption?:lol::lol::lol:

the only people i know who would even dream of using it are n00bs who don't know about torrenbits or have access to ftp's. Suprnova is becoming the new kazaa.

Also all there mirrors are currently free. And the main admin who runs the site is a 13 yer old child:lol:.

RealitY
12-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Suprnova is becoming the new kazaa.
^^There It Is There Aint It^^

freak
12-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Massive bandwidth consumption?:lol::lol::lol:

the only people i know who would even dream of using it are n00bs who don't know about torrenbits or have access to ftp's. Suprnova is becoming the new kazaa.

Also all there mirrors are currently free. And the main admin who runs the site is a 13 yer old child:lol:.

Damn it people need to quit saying to use torrentbits... I think the members are on crack and don't realize that only 100,000 users can be registerd and I've been trying for the longest time to get an account... So until torrentbits is open to all that is not a valid place to get torrents!

Peerzy
12-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Damn it people need to quit saying to use torrentbits... I think the members are on crack and don't realize that only 100,000 users can be registerd and I've been trying for the longest time to get an account... So until torrentbits is open to all that is not a valid place to get torrents!
Hey Torrentbits is properly one of the best torrent sites out there, but why stop with torrents? Whats stopping you using IRC, FTP's and other things.

freak
12-05-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm not really a fan of IRC I only turn there if i'm looking for something I can't find... I'm sure torrentbits is a great site but only permits 100,000 users and I am not one of them. But between code9-group,suprnova,isohunt and torrentspy I can find pretty much anything I want...

Vargas
12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
i think since a torrent file is only, basiclly, a tigertree hash and tracker url that without needing a central tracker, decentralized bittorrent will be more or less just like other decentralized networks that verify content on the fly, like ed2k, gnutella 1 and 2 or ares

Comic_Peddler
12-21-2004, 02:11 PM
only 100,000 users can be registerd and I've been trying for the longest time to get an account

I'm sure torrentbits is a great site but only permits 100,000 users and I am not one of them.

This goes a long way in explaining your stance.

I the end I
12-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Meh, I'll stick with torrentspy. At least I know I'm not downloading viruses, or fakes.