PDA

View Full Version : Connecting 2 computers to the same cable connection

Timz
12-04-2004, 08:23 PM
I have two computers. I am using a cable conection for one of them and was wondering if i could connect my second computer to the cable connection of the first. I am asking this b/c i want to d/l stuff on my old comp, therefore freeing up ram on my new comp to play games simultaneously. If i was d/l and playing an internet based game like CSS, would that seriously lag my online play?

Cl1mh4224rd
12-04-2004, 09:18 PM
I have two computers. I am using a cable conection for one of them and was wondering if i could connect my second computer to the cable connection of the first.
You'll need a router (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router).

If i was d/l and playing an internet based game like CSS, would that seriously lag my online play?
Depends on how much bandwidth each of these takes up.

Mïcrösöül°V³
12-05-2004, 08:46 AM
If you want to do just a connection between 2 computers with their ethernet cards, you need a cable called a "crossover cable". Its basically a CAT 5 ethernet cable, but its wired differently. (ethernet card is also known as a NIC card: Network Interface Card). As far as bandwidth consumption, you will notice a fair degree of lag in your games unless you have a T1 or higher.
Solution: as mentioned above (get a router if you want both PC's online in your network)
Dont' download anything while you play games. Resume your downloads after you are finished playing.

I figured I would type all this information because Im buzzed up, and bored at the moment :P :)

OK...........Im drunk then........*place drunk smiley here*

tesco
12-05-2004, 03:26 PM
Just buy a router that's the way i'm sharing my cable connection.
It would also work for dsl as well if i/you had that.

Timz
12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
kk, thx all