PDA

View Full Version : Page File

trajillo
12-06-2004, 11:22 AM
i got a 18gb empty HD , whats the max page file i can use on that hard drive for extra ram?

Afronaut
12-06-2004, 11:26 AM
http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP17.htm

And check out the Number Five:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

HCT
12-06-2004, 11:39 AM
1.5 times your total ram.
if you make your page file too big it will slow your comp down

clocker
12-06-2004, 03:28 PM
i got a 18gb empty HD , whats the max page file i can use on that hard drive for extra ram?
In a perfect world ( one not inhabited by Microsoft, in this case) you wouldn't need to use your pagefile at all...it's way slower than physical RAM.

tesco
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
In a perfect world ( one not inhabited by Microsoft, in this case) you wouldn't need to use your pagefile at all...it's way slower than physical RAM.
You need one in Linux too (called a swap partition over there). :unsure:

to answer your question:

if 512mb+ of ram then not very high...i use 300mb page file.
if 256mb of ram then maybe 500mb page file.

Any less ram and you shouldn't be using XP. :ohmy:

I don't beleivein that 1.5times your ram rule...If you had 256mb of ram then you would want a bigger page file than if you were using 512mb or more. :frusty:

lynx
12-07-2004, 12:40 AM
I don't beleivein that 1.5times your ram rule...If you had 256mb of ram then you would want a bigger page file than if you were using 512mb or more. :frusty:You might think so, but if your page file is any larger than 1.5 times ram, you start to get too much swapping between ram and page file. It isn't Microsoft's fault (although their design does have a few flaws in it), it is a statistical probability that this will happen.

tesco
12-07-2004, 12:47 AM
You might think so, but if your page file is any larger than 1.5 times ram, you start to get too much swapping between ram and page file. It isn't Microsoft's fault (although their design does have a few flaws in it), it is a statistical probability that this will happen.
ya true.
But 1.5X a gig is wayyy to much for a page file so that rule still doesn't work imo. ;)