PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Launches Thunderbird 1.0

{I}{K}{E}
12-07-2004, 07:19 AM
The Mozilla Foundation has just launched version 1.0 of its highly anticipated Thunderbird e-mail client. This marks the second major product launch for the open source foundation in under a month.

In addition to functioning as an e-mail client, Thunderbird provides users with an RSS news reader, as well as the ability to retrieve messages from internet newsgroups.

New features in this release include:

* Saved Search Folders
* Message Grouping
* Global Inbox
* Comprehensive Data Migration
* RSS Integration
* Improved Privacy Controls
* Improved Quick Search

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/

Samurai
12-07-2004, 08:21 AM
:lol: Was just about to post this earlier but I had to pop out. Came back and you beat me to it haha

tesco
12-07-2004, 01:17 PM
Looks good. :cool:

peat moss
12-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Well ,just going to install but whats this? RSS Integration. :huh: I didn't see anything in the help file that made sence to me.

tesco
12-08-2004, 02:19 AM
Well ,just going to install but whats this? RSS Integration. :huh: I didn't see anything in the help file that made sence to me.
It brings live feeeds from websites right to your browser(or, in this case, email program).

It's like news feeds. :)

peat moss
12-08-2004, 02:21 AM
Thanks Ross , I rarely use the news groups but what the heck! :)

the_painter
12-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Hi,
I have just tried Firefox and it was a load of rubbish.
It wouldnt install flash automatically I had to download it manually and install it myself.
It wouldnt show some web pages properly.
It wont view files or folders on my system.

Ive heard so much about these mozilla products and they are all amateur attempts.

I will stick with Enigma Browser which is probably the most powerful and secure browser on the net and leave mozilla to those of you who enjoy problem solving ?

I wont be trying any of their other products.

Samurai
12-08-2004, 10:35 AM
each to their own i guess

however this was a thunderbird thread, not firefox - get it right :dry:

Illuminati
12-08-2004, 10:50 AM
each to their own i guess

however this was a thunderbird thread, not firefox - get it right :dry:

Yep.

But to comment anyway on those points before:
You had to install Flash seperately on previous versions of IE years back
A lot of the pages that FF won't display properly were coded specifically for IE instead of for all browsers (a sign of under-par coding).
It's Windows Explorer that views files & folders - IE & WE are basically the one program although you don't notice it due to the fact that it switches flawlessly.

tesco
12-08-2004, 01:31 PM
It doesn't install flash automatically for a reason.
People using IE don't know what they're installing...things popup and they automatically click yes then that's how they get spyware.
Firefox doesn't do this it just blocks out all that crap. You download "extensions" and other addons for Firefox to add your own functionality.

Cl1mh4224rd
12-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Thunderbird : FAQs : RSS Basics (http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_RSS_Basics)

peat moss
12-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Thunderbird : FAQs : RSS Basics (http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_RSS_Basics)

Thanx Cl1mh4224rd, I noticed a little more eye candy , but not much else ! :)

Hitchhiker427
12-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Hey, I've had Thunderbird on my computer for a while, but never really looked at it. I mean, I tryed it a bit, but it seems just sort of the same as outlook express, which is what I currently use.

So, what I'm asking is, "why is this better than outlook express, and what are the reasons for me to use this"?

Samurai
12-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Hey, I've had Thunderbird on my computer for a while, but never really looked at it. I mean, I tryed it a bit, but it seems just sort of the same as outlook express, which is what I currently use.

So, what I'm asking is, "why is this better than outlook express, and what are the reasons for me to use this"?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Why Use Thunderbird?

Thunderbird gives you a faster, safer, and more productive email experience. We designed Thunderbird to prevent viruses and to stop junk mail so you can get back to reading your mail. Read on to find out more about the reasons why you should use Thunderbird as your mail client and RSS reader.

Smartest Way to Stop Junk Mail

Thunderbird provides the most effective tools for detecting junk mail. Our tools analyze your e-mail and identify those that are most likely to be junk. You can automatically have your junk mail deleted or you can put it in a folder you specify, just in case you like reading junk mail.

Your Mail, Your Way

View your e-mail the way you want it. Access your e-mail with Thunderbird's new three-column view. Customize your toolbar, change its look with themes, and use Mail Views to quickly sort through your e-mail.

Safe and Secure

Thunderbird provides enterprise and government grade security features such as S/MIME, digital signing, message encryption, support for certificates and security devices.

Packed with Features

Thunderbird gives you IMAP/POP support, a built-in RSS reader, support for HTML mail, powerful quick search, saved search folders, advanced message filtering, message grouping, labels, return receipts, smart address book LDAP address completion, import tools, and the ability to manage multiple e-mail and newsgroup accounts.

Unlimited Features

Thunderbird lets you add additional features as you need them through extensions. Extensions are a powerful tool to help you build a mail client that meets your specific needs.

Also check here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/why/

Thunderbird is 100 times better than Outlook Express IMO ;)

Hitchhiker427
12-11-2004, 11:21 AM
hmm... I might give it a shot, but I still don't really notice anything that catches my eye. I mean, the spam tools look nice, but I've tried spam tools before (mostly on HTML email accounts), and most of the time they get annoying and remove things I want. So, I'm not too hyped about that feature.

Also, most of these features can be acomplished with Outlook Express. I mean, multiple email accounts, news, spell checking, etc.

I'm not impressed with most of the extensions for Thunderbird, and the themes suck, IMO.

Oh well, I still might give it a shot, but it still doesn't seem that this is really any better - unless you don't use Microsoft's version simply because of the fact that it's Microsoft (which I don't understand).

Thanks!