PDA

View Full Version : Linux Linux

{I}{K}{E}
12-07-2004, 03:26 PM
I've never used Linux (instead of running Knoppix ;) ), I want to install Linux on a new partition, can you guys tell me which version is the best or is the best for starters :P. (I was thinking of getting Mandrake Linux)

Does anyone know if I can order Mandrake Linux on DVD for free somewhere?
because I have a slow internet connection atm. :(

Thnx

Ike

Samurai
12-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Red Hat is supposed to be good.

4play
12-07-2004, 05:20 PM
have a look in any large newsagents. they normally have cds/dvds attached to the front cover of computer magazines.

I recommend suse but mandrake or fedora would also be a good choice.

{I}{K}{E}
12-07-2004, 05:34 PM
I've decided to download Mandrake (will take a long long time...)

I've downloaded the Starter's PDF which has a complete install guide and everything you need to know :cool:

http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux/100/en/Starter.pdf

tesco
12-07-2004, 10:07 PM
i read this (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=67820&page=1) and decided suse would be best for me (easy for beginners and only 1 cd).
Not that easy to use and i ahven't had much time to play around with it yet.

{I}{K}{E}
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
k, I'm still downloading mandrake :(

I noticed KDE has been updated to version 3.3.2, Mandrake 10.1 doesnt have this latest build. Is it recommended to download and install this? if so HOW ?? :P

Ike Linuxn00b :01:

4play
12-09-2004, 10:18 PM
kde 3.4 alpha just got released as well if you really wanna be bleeding edge. I would stick with what ever version of kde mandrake comes with for a while until you get used to updating software.

http://developer.kde.org/build/compile_cvs.html

and suse is not 1 cd its 5. that version is the net install version so you have to download all the packages off the internet which can be a real pain.

I downloaded the 9.2 dvd 32 bit only which is about 4 gigs and it works really well.

{I}{K}{E}
12-09-2004, 10:23 PM
kde 3.4 alpha just got released as well if you really wanna be bleeding edge. I would stick with what ever version of kde mandrake comes with for a while until you get used to updating software.

http://developer.kde.org/build/compile_cvs.html

and suse is not 1 cd its 5. that version is the net install version so you have to download all the packages off the internet which can be a real pain.

I downloaded the 9.2 dvd 32 bit only which is about 4 gigs and it works really well.

dont wanna install alpha/beta stuff.

I've never run linux before (still downloading) was just checking what I needed so I could preper myself :P

doesnt linux have the something like windows installer? double click an .exe file and boem... you've updated..?

tesco
12-09-2004, 10:25 PM
no you have to do it all form command prompt (well, for everyhting i tried).

{I}{K}{E}
12-09-2004, 10:27 PM
no you have to do it all form command prompt (well, for everyhting i tried).

:ohmy:

Thats hmm.... nice :(

well I will let you know when Iam finished downloading.. if Iam not online within a day you know something went wrong :P

4play
12-09-2004, 10:33 PM
different version of linux have different apps to update their software. Im not really sure what mandrake uses since i have never touched it before but mandrake seems to use rpm (RPM Package Manager)

to install apps just login at a shell as root with the su command then

rpm -ivh packagename -> TO install package

rpm -qip packagename ->To view package information before install

rpm -e packagename ->To uninstall package

rpm -q package ->To view if package is already inastalled

{I}{K}{E}
12-11-2004, 11:04 AM
gonna install Mandrake 10.1 now :)

4play
12-13-2004, 01:56 PM
how did the install go.

have you had any problems or annoyances?

vivitron 15
12-13-2004, 02:12 PM
lol - from not posting one can only assume badly :P

/back on topic...
im just dling mandrake myself...been planning on an XP reinstall anyhow, so it seems a good time to try to dual-boot (ive messed it up in the past, unfortunately) so after the DVD finishes, and i get around to backing up my XP data ill be doing the same - will post with my status and questions too :D

{I}{K}{E}
12-17-2004, 03:25 PM
didnt work how I planned it. was not able to install it next to windows somehow :huh:

I did a clean install of linux after that I was not able to connect to the net :angry:. so I couldnt find any help... so I did a new install of XP, I noticed linux created 3 partition when I installed it. had to remove then all and now its back how I started :(

Will try again soon, I just need to find out how I am able to connect 2 the internet when using linux.

4play
12-17-2004, 03:35 PM
what sort of modem/net connection do you have ?

it created 3 partition because one was windows one was / ( your linux root for its filesystem) and a swap partition for linux.

remember linux treats partitions in the form of /dev/hda1 for the first partition on the first hdd so when you create your linux partition make sure you leave lots of room for this partition which will be windows. Create /dev/hda2 and /dev/hda3 for linux near the end of the disk.

then install the bootloader (i recommend grub) to the master boot record.

{I}{K}{E}
12-17-2004, 03:38 PM
I have a cable connection.

no there was no windows partition when I installed Linux, I did a format when using the setup from Mandrake

4play
12-17-2004, 03:42 PM
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3

check your modem is supported, are you trying to dual boot or just use linux on its own. im guessing you never destroyed the ntfs partiotion or your counting your cdrom as a partiton.

{I}{K}{E}
12-17-2004, 04:01 PM
my modem must be supported because with Knoppix 3.4 I had internet acces.

well I want to run both linux and windows with a boot menu

4play
12-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I would double check your modem works with mandrake still because different distros support different hardware.

give me a min and i will knock you up a little guide to installing mandrake along side windows.

edit: i have had a look through the madrake started guide and it seems like drakx is a pretty simple and powerful installer.

1) defrag your ntfs drive and make sure you have plenty of space on it.

2)whack in your knoppix cd and find an application on there called qtparted.
(you can also use partition magic or other windows based software if you have them installed).

3)resize the ntfs partiton so there is enough room at the end of your drive to install linux. leave the space blank.

4) start the linux install and follow the instructions up until the partioning option.

5) pick the use existing partitions option and make sure you install the 3 new partitons in the spare space and that you leave the windows(ntfs) partition intact. you may need to use the advanced options to do this but i cant find any good documentation to tell you indepth. ext2 or reiser partions for linux will be fine.

6) the rest should be easy after that as long as you place the bootloader in the mbr.

seems the main problem you had is that mandrake cannot resize ntfs partitions which seems absurd for a so called user friendly linux distro since there are plenty of free tools out there that can do it.

also the 3 partitions you were talking about seem to be

/ (root)
/home (your home directory)
/swap (swap space) about 500 megs for this is adequate

I normally dont stick /home on its own partition so you could get away with not having it.

and make sure your modem is supported on the mandrake site otherwise your gonna have a hard time compiling your own kernel to get it working.

{I}{K}{E}
12-20-2004, 07:53 PM
k, I found out why I couldnt connect to the internet.

When I tried Knoppix (some time ago) I used a router. I tried knoppix again today without a router and I coudn't connect to the net.

I need to use a certain computername before I can connect to the internet with XP. (********-*) I think I need to change this in linux somehow but I dunno how :(

4play
12-24-2004, 07:43 AM
can you ping ? open a shell and type

ping 216.239.37.99 and see if that pings google and get a response.

if not you should have some sort of dialer that you can use to authenticate who you are to your isp. not sure which one is included with mandrake will chek it out for you when i get back from work.

{I}{K}{E}
06-02-2005, 01:13 PM
wanna try it again.

gonna download Knoppix 3.9 and will try it again.

I am directly connected to the internet. I have a cable connection and all it requires me to do is to set a certain computername and dhcp would give me an IP address.

hope someone knows how to change that with knoppix(linux) :(

ObiWan
06-02-2005, 01:47 PM
dunno if this is any help:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-April/msg03095.html

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 16:41, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 12:05:24PM -0700, Clifford Snow wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 14:41, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > You forgot step 0: xhost +localhost. The X server is no longer able to
> > > send it's information to the original host name (since you changed it).
> > > Restart X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) and you should be able to start a
> > > browser.
> >
> > I made the suggested changes and it work. Thank you. To recap, I used
> > the following steps:
> > 1. xhost +newhostname
> > 2. changed the hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network
> > 3. changed the 127.0.0.1 entry in /etc/hosts to include the new host
> > name
> unless you are using dhcp this hosts file should contatin the ip and
> hostname fo you machine.

{I}{K}{E}
06-02-2005, 03:03 PM
got it working :D

had to type (in root shell):
killall pump
pump -i eth0 -h [putername]

yonki
06-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Before installing Linux, if you already have Win, you should defrag your HD. Another very-easy-to-install-and-use Linux distro is Ubuntu; you dont even have to download it:

The Ubuntu team will send you Ubuntu CDs at no charge, for you to install and share. We will cover the cost of shipping the CDs to you as well.