PDA

View Full Version : ID3 Tags - Good program for editing them?

Byronious
12-07-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm noticing a lot of my MP3's have terrible ID3 tags, or empty tags. I have an MP3 player that relies on these to display what I am listening to. Anyone know any programs that are good for editing them? Or that do it automatically, somehow?

Samurai
12-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Tagscanner - http://xdev.narod.ru/index_e.htm :)

JRSellers
12-07-2004, 08:07 PM
If you have a PayPal account, I'd suggest FixTunes (http://www.fixtunes.com/).

I've not been able to use because PayPal won't let me a my bank account or debit card, and this is the only option given to pay for FixTunes credits.

If anyone knows of a similar program like FixTunes [and (as they claim) as accurate], please let me know.

RealitY
12-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Tag N Rename has loads of options including using FreeDB and is simple to use...

JRSellers
12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
T&R is total bull:shit:! I marked my one Arch Enemy song, click the'Get album titles from freedb.org', and got some other crap (http://uploads.bestupload.com/users/uploads/gettitles.jpg)...nothing to with Arch Enemy.

tesco
12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Tagscanner - http://xdev.narod.ru/index_e.htm :)
Just tried that.
Not too bad but a little confusing to use.
I ended up renaming all of my song tags to "no artist -no title" but luckily just before that I had renamed all of the files to match the IDtag.

fkdup74
12-08-2004, 12:04 AM
i use this (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/id3tagit.html)
if you have the .NET framework installed on windows...
its a decent choice, if you dont have the .NET framework...
you probably dont wanna bother with it :P
(it requires the .NET framework)

iMartin
12-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Am I the only one that uses WinAmp to edit ID3 tags?

Samurai
12-08-2004, 02:53 AM
Am I the only one that uses WinAmp to edit ID3 tags?

Takes too long

If you have a PayPal account, I'd suggest FixTunes.

I've not been able to use because PayPal won't let me a my bank account or debit card, and this is the only option given to pay for FixTunes credits.

If anyone knows of a similar program like FixTunes [and (as they claim) as accurate], please let me know.

Is it me or is this the second time you've mentioned paying for something which you can get for free, and when I mean free, I mean legally free.

You have a lot to learn.

Just tried that.
Not too bad but a little confusing to use.
I ended up renaming all of my song tags to "no artist -no title" but luckily just before that I had renamed all of the files to match the IDtag.

Did you just rush in and click away, cause a friend of mine did the exact same thing and she said it was because she was in a rush.

It is a very good tool, and compared to other taggers out there, amazingly fast. My huge mp3 collection is done in a matter of seconds where others have taken minutes.

The interface is nice, much nicer than other standard taggers, and the latest version is able to tag or remove both ID3v1 and ID3v2 very fast.

If anyone is seriously interested in it, give it a try and let us know what you think.

Rossco - Hope you haven't given it up just yet. As soon as you're used to the software, you'll be using it more often than you think.

This software has literally saved me days worth of tagging ;)

worldpease
12-08-2004, 03:21 AM
T&R is total bull:shit:! I marked my one Arch Enemy song, click the'Get album titles from freedb.org', and got some other crap (http://uploads.bestupload.com/users/uploads/gettitles.jpg)...nothing to with Arch Enemy.

I have to agree... I´ve tried it myself.

Byronious
12-08-2004, 03:31 AM
I downloaded tag scanner. Have been messing around with it a little bit. I was messing with the TAG Processor, and everytime I chose request, it would pull up things that had nothing to do with the song. Is this right?

I would be more than pleased if this could auto-fill in the information for free, as the other user posted one that requires a charge. I don't mind doing it myself, but if I can have it done for free, why not?

Samurai
12-08-2004, 03:41 AM
Ok I'm going to get myself a drink, then I'm going to come back and see if I can replicate that problem you're having. Give me 10 minutes ok.

In the meantime, if you could give as much info as possible as to what you're doing and so forth it would be much appreciated.

Samurai

Byronious
12-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Alright, well I figured out how to have it do the tags based off of the file name. Which is perfectly fine, the only thing I am lacking is album, but that really isn't a big deal.

As for what I said about the freedb.org thing. I started by finding my path with all my music. Then I just selected a song from the list and chose request. The information it sent back or whatever had nothing to do with the song.

Samurai
12-08-2004, 03:56 AM
Alright, well I figured out how to have it do the tags based off of the file name. Which is perfectly fine, the only thing I am lacking is album, but that really isn't a big deal.

As for what I said about the freedb.org thing. I started by finding my path with all my music. Then I just selected a song from the list and chose request. The information it sent back or whatever had nothing to do with the song.

Ok I found the problem.

on right hand side there is a pull down menu, default is set to 'Calculate DiscID...' Use the pull down to select 'Search In Database'

Run search, and if the freedb.org is showing the wrong album, you should have more to choose from in the results.

Byronious
12-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Alright, I tried switching that. I don't get any results, it's like the program doesn't do anything when I select a file and press request.

There really is no need to figure this out I guess, I am happy with the way this has done my tags by filename. I thank you for pointing out this program, it is very nice.

Samurai
12-08-2004, 04:22 AM
is your firewall blocking the client from accessing the database?

I've also noticed freedb.org does not have any of the newer album releases just yet, which is very strange as I couldn't find an album that I was looking for.

So, I decided to try a popular album such as Eminem's 'Encore'.

Here are some screenshots:

http://img99.exs.cx/img99/3617/tagscanner0011po.png

http://img99.exs.cx/img99/8530/tagscanner0029am.png

Also, you can update the freedb file by clicking here:

http://img99.exs.cx/img99/1017/tagscanner0032rk.png

Hope this all helps in some way :) A new version is coming soon in any case and hopefully, if this is an error on their part, it'll be fixed.

Samurai :ph34r:

musicmaster
12-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSellers
T&R is total bull! I marked my one Arch Enemy song, click the'Get album titles from freedb.org', and got some other crap...nothing to with Arch Enemy.

I have to agree... I´ve tried it myself.

I would have to disagree:

Reason being that I believe Tag and Rename is the best program with a very diverse, usable and user friendly interface. Not to mention that if you are relying on a database to tag your mp3s then you, my friend have a lot to learn.

I used to do such a thing back when T & R was linked to allmusic, but I am glad that allmusic has since not allowed tagging programs to be linked to their datatbase, because their information is not that accurate all the time. A good portion of the time, but not 100% accurate. Neither is freedb nor Amazon.

My suggestion is and still will be to tag your own piece by piece. Do the research, by going to artists websites, allmusic, freedb if you must... and yes even amazon... because you cannot always get the accurate information from one source. This will take time, but in the end it is worth it.

Just one users opinion of course. Good luck!! :01: :01: :01:

JRSellers
12-08-2004, 06:01 AM
Is it me or is this the second time you've mentioned paying for something which you can get for free, and when I mean free, I mean legally free.

Sure FixTunes itself is free, but if you don't know anybody else who'd like to use the program, you have to pay for credits (http://www.fixtunes.com/credits.php) in order to get the tag info for your songs.

Also, regarding LimeWire, I told you that when I paid for it 6 months ago, I didn't know that Nsane was offering it for free. Besides, it's the basic version that's free, the pro version is what costs $$$. Click here (http://www.limewire.com/english/content/download.shtml), and see for yourself.

JRSellers
12-08-2004, 06:16 AM
Not to mention that if you are relying on a database to tag your mp3s then you, my friend have a lot to learn.

IMHO, if you can't rely on a program that will accurately tag all of your MP3s for you, then what's the point of ID3 tags.

JRSellers
12-08-2004, 06:24 AM
i use this (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/id3tagit.html)
if you have the .NET framework installed on windows...
its a decent choice, if you dont have the .NET framework...
you probably dont wanna bother with it :P
(it requires the .NET framework)

I installed the .NET Framework, then downloaded and installed ID3 tag IT 3...the damn thing wouldn't even start.

RealitY
12-08-2004, 07:11 AM
First off it seems to me all these apps are relying on the same fkin databases and it just come down to preference or features. I like Tag N Rename because it has alot of quirks like Caps on first letter, changing underscores spaces, creating m3u and just about anything your smart enough to make it do. Im sure many apps can do most of this stuff but Ive got it inside and out and can use it very quckly.

I like it alot also because I tend to rename my files all in the same format whch is "Artist - Track - Title" which I set the Mask Editor to "%1 - %6 - %2" which means if the tags are ready I only have to press 1 button to rename all files in the album.

Also when getting scene releases most are names like "Track-Artist-Title-Group" and have no tags so Ive set on Mask Editor to "%6-%1-%2-%9" and with one click I have put all that info into the tags and have even put the group into the comments field via the %9. Thus with one more click as above I can rename my files "Artist - Track - Title" now as I like them.

Point is if you know how to use this along with the Mask Editor its great as many others may be also, so theres your fkin poop ffs. Also if you cant a tag of FreeDB that aint the fkin app fault and chances you wount get it off the same database with a different app...

JRSellers
12-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Smart enough? What's with the holier-than-thou attitude?

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -- Will Rogers

JRSellers
12-08-2004, 07:49 AM
My suggestion is and still will be to tag your own piece by piece. Do the research, by going to artists websites, allmusic, freedb if you must... and yes even amazon... because you cannot always get the accurate information from one source. This will take time, but in the end it is worth it.

And what makes you think everybody has that kinda time? There are more important things than editing tags.

RealitY
12-08-2004, 08:18 AM
Smart enough? What's with the holier-than-thou attitude?
Oh STFU is that all you got out of all I wrote ffs, how annoying. I hardly think it was supposed be anything other than simply as much time as you take to learn it as much as youll get from it as with most things kinda like that comment youve put together so brilliantly ffs and that hard found quote as a bonus ffs...

whiterook-2
12-08-2004, 08:30 AM
ah yes, the standard "STFU ffs"
hahahhaa who would have guessed

oh, and T&R all the way baby!
very easy, efficient, and exacting....not to mention addictive

JRSellers
12-08-2004, 09:34 AM
Oh STFU is that all you got out of all I wrote ffs, how annoying. I hardly think it was supposed be anything other than simply as much time as you take to learn it as much as youll get from it as with most things kinda like that comment youve put together so brilliantly ffs and that hard found quote as a bonus ffs...

Your choice of words in the post like "anything your smart enough to make it do" and "if you know how to use this" just make it sound like we're all dumber than you.

BTW, that quote wasn't that hard to find. I have a picture of Will Rogers on my wall that my grandfather gave me. It has that quote. Although I'm sure you can find it on The Quotations Page (http://www.quotationspage.com/).

Samurai
12-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Guys stop spamming this thread with your crap. It's here for people who need help with ID3 tags, so respect that and them.

JRSellers
12-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Guys stop spamming this thread with your crap. It's here for people who need help with ID3 tags, so respect that and them.

After looking thru this entire thread again, I see no evidence of spam.

RealitY
12-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Your choice of words in the post like "anything your smart enough to make it do" and "if you know how to use this" just make it sound like we're all dumber than you.

BTW, that quote wasn't that hard to find. I have a picture of Will Rogers on my wall that my grandfather gave me. It has that quote. Although I'm sure you can find it on The Quotations Page (http://www.quotationspage.com/).
Perhaps you shouldnt waste your time ASSuming, guessing or interrupting what I write and mean or is it some sort of need for you. Also I was being sarcastic about the brilliant quote and now even furthermore your wonderful link, surprised you missed that with all the analyzing (aka picking or ragging or also aka as feeling inferior perhaps) you do. Oh and I must say tearing apart my words out of the lack of anything better to do is YES a waste of time in this post as is my need to respond to you as well, so...

STFU.

JRSellers
12-08-2004, 09:25 PM
STFU (http://www.stfu.se/) yourself. It's my time to waste. You seem to be wasting your own time by repling with your own comeback.

Tell ya' what, just don't reply to my replies on this particular subject (which is obviously getting out of hand), I will STFU, and we'll have no further problems. Is that :cool: ?

RealitY
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
YES a waste of time in this post as is my need to respond to you as well
Perhaps you missed that and what a wonderfull link once again, ffs I felt like i was in 4th grade all over again.
Thanks for the memories once again and I really mean it this time ffs.
Anyaways you started so I get to finish...

STFU.
:P :P

musicmaster
12-12-2004, 06:50 PM
I have time to make my files look as I want them to MR SELLERS, because that is the idea of tagging. Period... to make files managable in your own database, hence easier for others to use your files once they receive them. If you have no time to do some work on your files, then I suppose you shouldnt be downloading. Also, remember IMHO of course... you are a newcomer here, so please try your best not to irritate the senior users of this forum with your asinine comments and behaviour. We are only trying to give some sound advice as to why we use a certain program and how we use it. And Reality was giving some of that sound advice as you plainly missed. So, I ask you... please think before you leap.

Kindly,

Your Board Overlord

MUAHAHAHAHAHA :devil: :devil: :devil: 666

JRSellers
12-20-2004, 05:44 AM
Since I just got back online after 2 weeks of eating deep fried modem, I won't argue with you cuz I gotta lot of mail to check.

JRSellers
12-20-2004, 11:16 PM
I have time to make my files look as I want them

Well, la-dee-freakin-da and pen a rose on your nose. Not everyone can spend hours and hours manually editing ID3 tags. :P

If you have no time to do some work on your files, then I suppose you shouldnt be downloading.

And deny myself the pleasure of free music? I don't think so. :devil:

musicmaster
12-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Well, la-dee-freakin-da and pen a rose on your nose. Not everyone can spend hours and hours manually editing ID3 tags. :P

I have been editing my tags for years... and willl continue doing so. I didnt mean I have hours upon hours in one day to do so, I just do it when I have some free time. So take your rose, and sniff it!!!! ;) ;)

And deny myself the pleasure of free music? I don't think so. :devil:

Now, as for the free music thing... well get all the free crap you wanna get, but at least once in a while.... step inside a music store or video store with their overpriced crap.... and buy something on sale, so you have something original. If you do this already... I retract my statement!!! :w00t: :w00t:

BTW fried modem tastes good with shitty toasted soundcards for the bread

Enjoy with a sidedish of basted zipdrive!!!! :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

JRSellers
12-21-2004, 03:13 AM
Now, as for the free music thing... well get all the free crap you wanna get, but at least once in a while.... step inside a music store or video store with their overpriced crap.... and buy something on sale, so you have something original. If you do this already... I retract my statement!!! :w00t: :w00t:

:lol: What about buying online? It's sooo convenient. I just ordered a present for my step-neice. It should arrive Wednesday.

Incidentally, I'm on dial-up, so it takes me an average of 30 minutes to download a 128-bit MP3 using LW Pro, and about 3 to 5 hours to download a music video (D/Ling Linkin Park - Breaking The Habit now).

BTW fried modem tastes good with shitty toasted soundcards for the bread

Enjoy with a sidedish of basted zipdrive!!!! :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

:lol:

musicmaster
01-05-2005, 04:16 AM
[QUOTE=JRSellers]:lol: What about buying online? It's sooo convenient. I just ordered a present for my step-neice. It should arrive Wednesday.

Incidentally, I'm on dial-up, so it takes me an average of 30 minutes to download a 128-bit MP3 using LW Pro, and about 3 to 5 hours to download a music video (D/Ling Linkin Park - Breaking The Habit now).

dialup? whats that?

whiterook-2
01-05-2005, 05:31 AM
Let it go MM... the dude d/l's 128bit mp3's (that alone tells you the story)

JRSellers
01-05-2005, 03:32 PM
dialup? whats that?

Well gaaawlee, sum o' us out here in the asshole o' civilization are stuck using a very primitive device known as a modem hooked up to crappy voice - grade phone lines to connect to this new-fangled thing called the internet. :P

digmen1
01-06-2005, 02:54 AM
I use MP3 Tag Studio by Magnus Braiding.

It is very powerful, but has a slightly confusing user interafce that takes a while to get used to. But it has lots of features.

I thought ID Tags were so that you could make you music collection look nice in a player rather than just a boring old file name.

I also like to enter my Tags manually. I think FreeDB is a lot of crap. I use All Music Guide and downloads of original covers to get accurate data. If you do a few songs every day it does not take too long.

And if everyone kept their tags fairly up to date and in only 2 or 3 styles we would all be downloading files with their tags already done !

Regards

Digby

musicmaster
01-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Well gaaawlee, sum o' us out here in the asshole o' civilization are stuck using a very primitive device known as a modem hooked up to crappy voice - grade phone lines to connect to this new-fangled thing called the internet. :P

Just breaking you in John!!! You will be ok :) Welcome to the board. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride :01: :w00t: :w00t:

JRSellers
01-07-2005, 03:13 AM
I don't need breaking in, I need to get out of this conversation.

Besides, I post on other Vbulletin boards, so I know how this works.

orcutt989
01-07-2005, 03:18 AM
CAn't you just do them in Winamp?

musicmaster
01-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I don't need breaking in, I need to get out of this conversation.

Besides, I post on other Vbulletin boards, so I know how this works.

Well, goooowwwwwleee, then dont respond, I was just trying to be nice. ffs... guess comedy dont work with you either.

Hey folks, he posts on other boards... I feel so violated!!!

:no: :no: :no: :no: