PDA

View Full Version : Lan Connections

orcutt989
12-10-2004, 03:28 AM
In my "My Network Places" it states that I have 2 Lan/Highspeed internet connections. One is my "Local Area Connection" which is my cable, and then the other one is a "1394 Connection". The lan says the speed is 10mbps, and the 1394 is 400 mbps. I read somewhere that the 1394 is firewire, but why is this showing up active in my connections window??

tesco
12-10-2004, 03:33 AM
edit: description wrong, look at lynx's post. (Below)

lynx
12-10-2004, 11:54 AM
1394 is a high speed network device. I disagree with the definition provided by Rossco, I think Microsoft have got it exactly right.

It is the other manufacturers who have been confusing things because they thought that describing their cameras and video recorders as network attached devices would frighten potential users. So they came up with the Firewire name. This has led to the potential of this connection for networking to be completely missed.

Storm
12-10-2004, 04:12 PM
1394 is a high speed network device. I disagree with the definition provided by Rossco, I think Microsoft have got it exactly right.

It is the other manufacturers who have been confusing things because they thought that describing their cameras and video recorders as network attached devices would frighten potential users. So they came up with the Firewire name. This has led to the potential of this connection for networking to be completely missed.

well that would prolly explain why there arent any firewire keyboards and such.........

am i right if i assume this would make an external HDD connected through firewire only show through "my network places" instead of as removeable storage?

lynx
12-10-2004, 05:24 PM
am i right if i assume this would make an external HDD connected through firewire only show through "my network places" instead of as removeable storage?No.

Although they are network attached devices, they don't use the higher level protocols recognised by Windows networking so they won't appear there. The drivers intercept traffic to and from such devices at a lower level so they still appear as removeable storage.

BTW, you can usb USB as a network too, with the right drivers. However, because of it's one to one connectivity it is not really practical for more than 2 or 3 pcs.

Mr. Elmo
12-10-2004, 05:57 PM
why would you need a firewire keyboard in the first place :o

Storm
12-10-2004, 10:14 PM
BTW, you can usb USB as a network too, with the right drivers. However, because of it's one to one connectivity it is not really practical for more than 2 or 3 pcs.

how bout connecting them through a USB hub? or would that just confuse your computer?

why would you need a firewire keyboard in the first place :o

dunno, why would you need a USB keyboard?

tesco
12-10-2004, 11:09 PM
how bout connecting them through a USB hub? or would that just confuse your computer?
Nothing would happen because i don't think the computers know how to communicate that way.
With the proper drivers, as lynx said, it should work.

orcutt989
12-10-2004, 11:13 PM
So wait, it is just showing my only firewire port as a network port?

tesco
12-10-2004, 11:22 PM
ya

lynx
12-11-2004, 10:34 AM
how bout connecting them through a USB hub? or would that just confuse your computer?I suppose in theory the hub "owner" could talk to all the other pc's and they could talk to the hub "owner", but they wouldn't be able to talk to each other so you couldn't really use it as a proper network.

lynx
12-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Exactly.

Network ports don't just have to be ethernet, but it is commonly used because it has good operation over longer distances. I don't know what length of cable you could use for a firewire network but I suspect it would not be anything like as good as ethernet.