PDA

View Full Version : What's The Meaning Of Life

soma
03-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Could anybody please tell me the meaning of life, in their own words?

WeeMouse
03-30-2003, 02:30 PM

soma
03-30-2003, 02:35 PM
I am loving it, thanx...now i can finally sleep easy!!

Skweeky
maybe u should rephrase the question, my answer would also be 42...

<me looks suspiciously at WeeMouse> a mouse heh.....I don&#39;t trust mice....they&#39;re more intelligent than they pretend to be.....hah, dying of diseases, yeah right&#33; I&#39;m not falling for that one&#33;

"The Avatar Man"
"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself."

WeeMouse
03-30-2003, 02:37 PM
hah, dying of diseases, yeah right&#33; I&#39;m not falling for that one&#33;

:blink:

We mice are cunning creatures
hell, even elephants are scared of us&#33; :D

"The Avatar Man"
03-30-2003, 02:39 PM
"Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?"
"Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness."
"Happiness is merely the remission of pain."
"Nostalgia isn&#39;t what it used to be."
"Sometimes too much drink is not enough."
"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious."
"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."
"And then God said: No&#33; I meant a BUD light&#33;"
"Is reading in the bathroom considered multitasking?"
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
"I would like to find the person who invented sex and see what he&#39;s working on now."

WeeMouse
03-30-2003, 02:42 PM
the meaning of life is to eat peanut butter every day, and to try and confuse everyone as much as possible :lol:

HardcoreGoku
03-30-2003, 02:44 PM
to download hardcore pr0n from kazza-lite

mrcall1969
03-30-2003, 02:44 PM
The meaning of life is to beat the forces of evil from the South side at least 4 times per season.

HardcoreGoku
03-30-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by mrcall1969@30 March 2003 - 15:44
The meaning of life is to beat the forces of evil from the South side at least 4 times per season.
Rangers FC 4EVER&#33;

ezyryder
03-30-2003, 02:46 PM
the meaning of life is very sick. Read on and find out the true nature of our existance&#33;

In our bodies we have blood cells and viruses etc. What if i told you our universe was a stream of "blood" and the planets/stars were vessils etc? Now what if i told you we were bugs in a body on the cell?

well basically the creature this universe in is infact a virus on someone else and it keeps on going on and on until you get to a race who in actual fact was created by god.

anyway, we are put in here by an injection into spine and they have attached electrodes to us so all the race above us are watching and when we die it is because divina mcall oops I mean someone else has voted us out due to phone calls.

hmm... think about it

WeeMouse

:blink: Rangers come from the West End

You want to beat Queen&#39;s park 4 times per season?&#33; :P

"The Avatar Man"
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
"Anything not nailed down is mine. Anything I can pry loose is not nailed down."
"Reality is a crutch for people who can not deal with drugs."
"It is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there."
"It is easier to believe in God than to accept the blame ourselves."
"Matter can not be created nor destroyed; nor can it be returned without a receipt."
"We need either less corruption or more chances to participate in it."

mrcall1969
03-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by WeeMouse@30 March 2003 - 15:46

:blink: Rangers come from the West End

You want to beat Queen&#39;s park 4 times per season?&#33; :P
noooo theyre South, well more South than West.

"The Avatar Man"
03-30-2003, 02:52 PM
ok lets stop arguing
HERE IT IS.
my first three posts here
http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...23700&hl=cyborg (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=23700&hl=cyborg)
explain without a shadow of a doubt what the meaning of life is. :) :) :) :) :)
READ YOU INFIDELS :D :D :D

merlin-1
03-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by WeeMouse@30 March 2003 - 09:30
I don&#39;t get it? :unsure:

WeeMouse
03-30-2003, 03:03 PM
read the Hitchhiker&#39;s Guide to the Galaxy.

J'Pol
03-30-2003, 03:03 PM
Ibrox is not, by any stretch of the imagination in the west.

Neither is 42 the meaning of life. It is the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything.

It is a common mistake though.

What however is the question.

Rocktron
03-30-2003, 03:34 PM
The meaning of life is...

Don&#39;t do anything to others that you don&#39;t want them to do to you.
Just do things that feel good.. like helping others.. without wanting anything in return&#33;
Don&#39;t do things that feel bad.
Love yourself... so you can love others.

If there&#39;s nothing at the end of the tunnel.., you did nothing wrong&#33; ;)

But if there&#39;s IS something at the end of the tunnel.. you did everything right&#33; :D

Curley
03-30-2003, 04:02 PM
hmmmmm..... The meaning of life is not getting up till 2pm on a Sunday afternoon.

"The Avatar Man"
03-30-2003, 04:07 PM
I dont think you all clicked.
so here i&#39;ll shove it down your throats :D :P

THEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEA
CHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILT
HEPEACHESREVIL
THEPEA
http://www.adriandd.com/model/prepro/treasure_planet_1.jpgCH
ESREVILTHEPEA
CHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREV
ILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESRE
VILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVILTHEPEACHESREVIL
no but seriously the tuningfork said that the wise midgets command it
"Have I EVER DANCED with a cyborg named LUPE?"
when they killed pablo did they have crust in their undies&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

THEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHI
ST
HEP
UBLICWILLFALL
NOTFALLFORTHISTHEP
U
BL
I

C
WILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPU
BLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUB
LICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFOR
THISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHIST
HEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUB
LIC<span style=&#39;font-family:Geneva&#39;>WILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNO
TFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTH

ISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFO

http://nikki.wgs.ca/nikki3.jpg

RTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFAL
LNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFA
LLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHI
STHEPUBLICWILLFALL

NOTFALLFORT
HISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUB
LICWILL
FALLNOTFALLF<span style='color:orange'>ORTHISTHEPU
BLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHIST

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/binary-people.jpg

HEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICW
ILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFAL
LFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPU
BLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPU
BLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICW
ILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALL[/FONT]NO
TFALLFOR[FONT=Courier]THIS
THEP</span>UBLICWILLFALLNOTFAL
LFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNO

http://www.teezz.co.uk/images/animals/guinea-pig-jul3535.jpg

TFALLFORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALLF
ORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFALL
FORTHISTHEPUBLICWILLFALLNOTFAL</span>LFORTHIS

okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyok
dokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdoky
<span style=&#39;font-family:Times&#39;>okd
http://www.islandillusions.com/peaches.jpg
okyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdok</span>y<span style='color:red'>okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdoky</span>
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdo
kyokdokyo
kdokyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokd
okyokdok
yokdokyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdoky
okdokyokd
okyokdokyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdo
kyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokd
okyokdokyokdo
kyokdoky
okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdoky
[font=Geneva][color=green]okdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdokyokdo
kyokdoky
And That My friends is the meaning of life :P :P :P :P

merlin-1
03-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Two rules i follow=

1.Life is what you make of it so make it good&#33;

2.Live long enough to be a burden to your kids.(you younger folks wont understand this one till you have kids).

Spindulik
03-30-2003, 04:37 PM
What is the meaning of life?

You may as well ask, "What is the meaning of yellow". It is irrelevent

There is NO "meaning of life". Life exists merely from the fact that, the chances of life at all anywhere is 1 in 50 billion years.

Since there is an unlimited amount of time, the odds of life existing somewhere is sure to happen many times over.

The answer to your all-time question is NONE.

It is up to you to put meaning into life, that is, your life. Your life is just a tiny blip of time in comparison to the infinite amount of time that there is. The longer that time continues on, the smaller your blip.

J'Pol
03-30-2003, 06:23 PM
What makes you think that time is infinite, any more than space.

TechSonic
03-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by ezyryder@30 March 2003 - 15:46
the meaning of life is very sick. Read on and find out the true nature of our existance&#33;

In our bodies we have blood cells and viruses etc. What if i told you our universe was a stream of "blood" and the planets/stars were vessils etc? Now what if i told you we were bugs in a body on the cell?

well basically the creature this universe in is infact a virus on someone else and it keeps on going on and on until you get to a race who in actual fact was created by god.

anyway, we are put in here by an injection into spine and they have attached electrodes to us so all the race above us are watching and when we die it is because divina mcall oops I mean someone else has voted us out due to phone calls.

hmm... think about it
Brilliant.

TechSonic
03-30-2003, 06:30 PM
The meaning of life is One thing. And that one thing is what you make of it.

Lamsey
03-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Live life to the fullest
Let this boy die like a man.
- Jon Bon Jovi

Wolfmight
03-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Well I dont know what they are actually saying cause I dont got the right encoder..
all is see is:

EKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLFEKJLDFJDFIODFSOSESDAJDSAJASJJSDFHDSHSDHFJLKSDLF

???

imported_computerfreak76
03-30-2003, 07:04 PM
one word

happiness&#33; is the meaning of life simple eh?

j2k4
03-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Any attempt to define life in existential terms, will, by it&#39;s very nature, defy understanding, due to the unique abilities and characteristics of the individuals endeavoring to understand it. THEREFORE......

Any definition actually arrived at can only apply to, or be said to be true of, it&#39;s author.

Any other method of defining life is preferable, and philosophically "Okey-Dokey". :D

hobbes
03-30-2003, 10:18 PM
The meaning of life is so simple and obvious that we all ignore it.

Why? Because it does not care about the individual. It makes you a cog in the great machine.

The meaning of life is to procreate.

Everything about you revolves around your desire/abilty to fertilize an ovum, or bear healthy children.

Many species take this philosophy to the limit. The black widow eats her mate, bees sting to death neuter workers when they have completed their work, etc.

Many feel that death is a passive process, but in fact, it is an active genomal process. Genes get closed down, packed away by histones. They use our sexual abilty or activity as markers. The concept that 100 years is a long time comes from our biased frame of reference.

Consider this: An actual experiment was performed that prevented an organism from advancing to the next stage in its life cycle. When it did resume it&#39;s normal cycle, it&#39;s life span was tripled but fecundity was not effected. So if we can arrest the human genome, we can live indefinately. This goes back to my point that death does not come passively, but our own genome shuts us down actively as our abilty to reproduce declines or is irradicated.

Ever notice that young women are totally desirable, but how many women over 50 (post or peri-menopausal) are even remotely tolerable. Look around yourself at the mall. Tons of teenage hotties and ZERO decent looking 50 year old. (Please refrain from posting about some exception you know about- that detracts from the overall theme).

The point is this: We are like cells of an organism. We provide and essentiatial function, but are individually trivial. The survival of the organism is the top priority.

What is this "organism"? Well, the universe or more focally, the planet. Consider yourself a cell contributing to survival of mother Earth, and Mother Earth as cell in the body of the universe.

This is my off the cuff answer. I have not attempted to post an irrefutable discussion as this topic merits a book and not a 50 line post.

Z
03-30-2003, 10:56 PM
ahh, we did a whole unit on this is philosophy class this year. the meaning of life is what u make of it. setting goals and achieving them. thats it&#33; :P :P

(okay, yes, the meaning of life for animals is to eat, survive, and reproduce, but humans are so much more than that, so go by what i said before.)
:w00t:

ketoprak
03-30-2003, 10:59 PM
The meaning of life is that it has no meaning. It makes it surprising.

hobbes
03-30-2003, 11:31 PM
Your class is confusing the issue.

There are two distinct questions:

1) I am here, what should I do?- That&#39;s what your class was talking about. Adding meaning(purpose) to a life. I want people to think about me and be happy they made my acquaintance. I want to be an inspiration of conduct and integrity and, damn it, I want to make people laugh.

2) What is the meaining of life? I answered this. Your purpose is to support the organism. You are a cell, a functional unit.

We ARE animals. We differ only in our ability to recognize our own mortality. Because of this we create religions to comfort this fear. Don&#39;t fool yourself, you are an animal.

How can you say you are more important than your dog. Is he not unique, does he not have a personality? Yes, his level of sophistication is primitive, but how can you justifiably draw a line, that separates humans from everything else. You can only do so because you want to.

The real question is "how did we come to exist?"

Z
03-30-2003, 11:41 PM
The real question is "how did we come to exist?"

evolution. charles darwin. natural selection. survival of the fittest. we have a functioning mind. we can question things, unlike animals. now we wonder. it can be simple, but we make it complex.

hobbes
03-31-2003, 12:11 AM
z

Why is there matter? Why is there a universe, at all.

Evolution is real, but fails to adequately describe "creation".

As I suggested before, man created God to easy explain the mystery of our existence, but this is only a ruse to ease our troubled minds.

I would have to ask you what your scientific training is when you talk about Darwin and Evolution. The hitch in this whole discussion is the creation of a self replicating organism.

At this point, I would have to know your level of education in order to explain this further. We are not a conglomeration of complex molecules created from the input of energy. Our propagation requires much more, but you can only appreciate this with some scientific training.

As far as questiuoning things. Ever see a dog run up to something, stop, turn around, get a bigger lead, try again. Again, his level of questioning(analysis) is simple, but still functioning.

So much of what we take for granted as "higher consciousness" is really primitive behavior which has been lost from it&#39;s source. My example has been music. Why can we appreciate it, why do chicks love the ugliest musician? I feel that it relates to the lost mating call. The mating call was used by birds to determine that the male was "mentally intact". His genome was functioning enough to produce the corrert response and this was felt to reflect the integrity of his genome. This is pure specualtion on my part, but the point is that sometimes we fail to appreciate the animal in us and call it something more profound.

j2k4
03-31-2003, 12:12 AM
If I divine properly (and I think I do) the question as originally posed, "....tell me the meaning of life", it is necessary to point out, for reasons that should be obvious, "meaning" and "purpose", as words, are not interchangable. The substitution of the latter for the former fully changes the intent of the question.

That aside, I must say, Hobbes, your discourse was extremely well reasoned and executed, except for that one tiny flaw.

Z-is dat you-formerly of "lil" fame?

Z
03-31-2003, 12:18 AM
hobbes - ok i didnt read your whole post. but just like man created god before to explain the unknown, we know use science. its basically biology from chemistry from physics. until the conscious mind came along, u could actually predict exactly what would happen based on the laws of the universe. the question is not why are we here. theres no reason. are you looking for a big reason, such as godlike, or just a reason such as the laws of physics. no matter what, the real question is "Where is the universe?". think about that and its even kinda scary. open your mind to that idea. where are we? we are here cuz of coincidence? obviously, otherwise we wouldnt know we were here, we wouldnt exist. this exact time. but this exact place? where did this "big bang" take place exactly? i dunno... but the meaning of life is something stupid, like god. (no offense, but i dont believe in god).

where is the universe? :huh:

Z
03-31-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@30 March 2003 - 19:12
If I divine properly (and I think I do) the question as originally posed, "....tell me the meaning of life", it is necessary to point out, for reasons that should be obvious, "meaning" and "purpose", as words, are not interchangable. The substitution of the latter for the former fully changes the intent of the question.

That aside, I must say, Hobbes, your discourse was extremely well reasoned and executed, except for that one tiny flaw.

j2 -

ebonics, huh? how old are u? :lol: lol.

and yes, this is the poster formerly known as lil_z. im back. :P

j2k4
03-31-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Z@31 March 2003 - 01:20
-is dat you-formerly of "lil" fame?
j2 -

ebonics, huh? how old are u? :lol: lol.

and yes, this is the poster formerly known as lil_z. im back. :P [/quote]
Not Ebonics, just old-time "Black" :D

After I asked, I found your other thread.

Look at you-all grown up.

Sounds like you "get" (and hence may at some time in the future, be able to use) Philosophy, huh?
It&#39;s good stuff; extremely useful. Just don&#39;t ever count on the Zardoz&#39; of the world to be vulnerable.
Ignorance will ever reign as the ultimate (indeed, the only) tool in the fight against logic and reason. Nonetheless, we must fight the good fight.

You go, Z.

Z
03-31-2003, 01:09 AM
thank you. but there is no philosophy course next year. :P

and answer my question&#33; :P

Skweeky
03-31-2003, 01:11 AM
@ j2k4:

The idea that the meaning of life is to reproduce ourselves is outdated. Indeed, most people feel the urge to get children, BUT recent scientific research has pointed out that this urge is inspired more social than biological.....

A dutch biologist called Midas Deckers has just written a book about it, I don&#39;t know if it is already translated in english or if it will be translated in english...If you&#39;re interested in this, I can surely recommend it, it&#39;s very interesting.

About the black widow spider eating her male after mating: that&#39;s an urban legend. This spider kills her male after mating in extreme circumstances, eg when there isn&#39;t enough food. After killing it, she PRESERVES it to give it to the little spiders when they hatch....

I hope I&#39;ve been e bit clear, a bit hard to describe all what I wanted to say in a language that is not my own. :)

j2k4
03-31-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Z@31 March 2003 - 02:09

By that I assume you mean my age?

I could direct you to the same place you revealed yours, but no.

44-amongst the "aged", here. But there are other considerations.......

Z
03-31-2003, 01:15 AM
true skweeky.

we are more social than biological. or i otherwords, we are no longer instinctual. (in most things). we dont necessarily have a sex drive for reproduction and to carry on the race. its for pleasure. and if we want to have kids, we have kids. its not a duty for nature. we can control ourselves to an extent, which makes us different from animals. (another unit in my philo course - what is a person).

Z
03-31-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by j2k4+30 March 2003 - 20:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 30 March 2003 - 20:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Z@31 March 2003 - 02:09

44-amongst the "aged", here. But there are other considerations....... [/b][/quote]
no actually i meant where is the universe?&#33;

and what other considerations are u talking about? like being 44 years young or something??

j2k4
03-31-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@31 March 2003 - 02:11
@ j2k4:

The idea that the meaning of life is to reproduce ourselves is outdated. Indeed, most people feel the urge to get children, BUT recent scientific research has pointed out that this urge is inspired more social than biological.....

A dutch biologist called Midas Deckers has just written a book about it, I don&#39;t know if it is already translated in english or if it will be translated in english...If you&#39;re interested in this, I can surely recommend it, it&#39;s very interesting.

About the black widow spider eating her male after mating: that&#39;s an urban legend. This spider kills her male after mating in extreme circumstances, eg when there isn&#39;t enough food. After killing it, she PRESERVES it to give it to the little spiders when they hatch....

I hope I&#39;ve been e bit clear, a bit hard to describe all what I wanted to say in a language that is not my own. :)
I shouldn&#39;t worry about the language difficulty if I were you. You do plenty well enough.

I do worship at all scientific altars that don&#39;t offend me in a spiritual sense (which is to say, I am bound only by MY standards).

In this case, I say, DAMN THEE, INTRUSIVE SCIENCE&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol:

I stand by my post, Skweeky-welcome to the thread&#33;

j2k4
03-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Z+31 March 2003 - 02:17--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Z @ 31 March 2003 - 02:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -j2k4@30 March 2003 - 20:13
<!--QuoteBegin--Z@31 March 2003 - 02:09

44-amongst the "aged", here. But there are other considerations.......
no actually i meant where is the universe?&#33;

and what other considerations are u talking about? like being 44 years young or something?? [/b][/quote]
Yes-

The universe, if I recall correctly, is just down the street from my house living in a duplex. I see it at the market occasionally, but it never has much to say. Distinctly asocial, actually.

Skweeky
03-31-2003, 01:35 AM
thank you j2k4 :)

As for my view on this:

I don&#39;t know what the meaning of life is, I don&#39;t know if I want to know. I try to live my life to the fullest, make the best of it. I try not to do things that make me feel unhappy. I try to love myself the way I am, but I work on my mistakes. I take every chance to try out new things and I hope that when I die I will have the feeling that I have had a good life. I don&#39;t want to regret things and I don&#39;t try to worry about things.

My favourite quote: &#39;remember that worrying about something is the same as trying to solve an algebra equasion with chewing bubblegum&#39;

As for the reproducing part:

I don&#39;t want kids, I don&#39;t think I ever will. I am scared of taking a responsibility that big. I don&#39;t believe I am capable of deciding things for another human being and bare the consequences of it as well. I don&#39;t want anyone to depend on me like that.
Maybe I am wrong, I am only 19. I have not even explored a fraction of what I am, I don&#39;t know yet what kind of person I will be in 10 years time, people change. Maybe I&#39;ll change my mind and want kids when by the time I&#39;ll be 30. Maybe I will deny then the person I am now or maybe I am now denying the person who I will most likely become.... :)

chloe_cc2002
03-31-2003, 01:36 AM
The meaning of life is One thing. And that one thing is what you make of it.

If anyone wants any good advice come to me. :(

Z
03-31-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@30 March 2003 - 20:35

As for my view on this:

I don&#39;t know what the meaning of life is, I don&#39;t know if I want to know. I try to live my life to the fullest, make the best of it. I try not to do things that make me feel unhappy. I try to love myself the way I am, but I work on my mistakes. I take every chance to try out new things and I hope that when I die I will have the feeling that I have had a good life. I don&#39;t want to regret things and I don&#39;t try to worry about things.

My favourite quote: &#39;remember that worrying about something is the same as trying to solve an algebra equasion with chewing bubblegum&#39;

I don&#39;t want kids, I don&#39;t think I ever will. I am scared of taking a responsibility that big. I don&#39;t believe I am capable of deciding things for another human being and bare the consequences of it as well. I don&#39;t want anyone to depend on me like that.
Maybe I am wrong, I am only 19. I have not even explored a fraction of what I am, I don&#39;t know yet what kind of person I will be in 10 years time, people change. Maybe I&#39;ll change my mind and want kids when by the time I&#39;ll be 30. Maybe I will deny then the person I am now or maybe I am now denying the person who I will most likely become.... :)
there u go. thats the meaning of life. now go achieve your goals. go go&#33; :P

Skweeky
03-31-2003, 01:40 AM
Z, that&#39;s not THE meaning of life, that&#39;s the meaning of MY life and that&#39;s something totally different.

Z
03-31-2003, 01:44 AM
thats exactly my point. everyone&#39;s is different. actually, maybe i&#39;m confusing this with: what is a meaningful life? its kinda different, actually. but the meaning of life for humans really is more than just eat, survive, reproduce. make something of your life. i wanna make an impact on the world. thats my goal. :P

Skweeky
03-31-2003, 01:51 AM
I wanted to make an impact on the world too once, then I realized that I should be happy even if I should be able to reach only a few people....

j2k4
03-31-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@31 March 2003 - 02:35

As for my view on this:

At least you&#39;re thinking about it, which is so much more than 95% of the population does.

But you seem to exercising YOUR existential abilities in the effort-my recommendation would be to limit your concerns to the essentials: pick a dozen or so guiding principles and internalize. Then you can live on autopilot and maintain developmental momentum.
Let logic and reason guide you. Don&#39;t waste time on "Why am I here?". More time has been wasted on that......even if you knew, how would it help? Who would believe you? I refer you to my previous posts (Pg. 3?).

You&#39;re a welcome addition here.

j2k4
03-31-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Z@31 March 2003 - 02:44
thats exactly my point. everyone&#39;s is different. actually, maybe i&#39;m confusing this with: what is a meaningful life? its kinda different, actually. but the meaning of life for humans really is more than just eat, survive, reproduce. make something of your life. i wanna make an impact on the world. thats my goal. :P
Now you&#39;re on the right track-"meaningful life". Isn&#39;t that just perfect, Z? "Meaning of Life" vs. "Meaningful Life"=irrelevance vs. relevance&#33;&#33; ;) ;)

Skweeky
03-31-2003, 02:01 AM
oh, I don&#39;t really think about those things anymore. &#39;why am I here&#39; and &#39;what am I supposed to be doing&#39; are useless questions. I just try to figure out all the time what decisions are best for me, now AND in the future. It&#39;s hard enough a it is :)

j2k4
03-31-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Skweeky@31 March 2003 - 03:01
oh, I don&#39;t really think about those things anymore. &#39;why am I here&#39; and &#39;what am I supposed to be doing&#39; are useless questions. I just try to figure out all the time what decisions are best for me, now AND in the future. It&#39;s hard enough a it is :)
Mission accomplished, then? Good for you. :D :D

Skweeky
03-31-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by j2k4+31 March 2003 - 03:03--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4 @ 31 March 2003 - 03:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Skweeky@31 March 2003 - 03:01
Mission accomplished, then? Good for you. :D :D [/b][/quote]
lol, I&#39;m doing good so far. Now the 60 years that are left. :lol:

hobbes
03-31-2003, 02:58 AM
Edited by me.

Sometimes, even when you are right or feel that you are right, you express yourself poorly.

This was one such post.

My points were valid but my words were caustic.

The world has enough animosity without my contributions.

Spindulik
03-31-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by JmiF@30 March 2003 - 19:23
Well, then we&#39;d have to get into quantum physics. And that is too long to explain.

So time may not be infinate. It may be a loop that repeats itself.

Same with outerspace (and the 4th dimension).

Think of this. The speed of time is the same as the speed of light&#33; If you travel near the speed of light, you almost stop time&#33; Since everyone else is not you traveling at that speed, everyone else is progressing at a different speed than you, everyone else is in a different time rate than you. Time, to you will feel "normal", but after a year&#39;s worth of that, you will notice that everyone else has not aged as you have.

If you travel at the speed of light, you travel at the speed of time, therefore time will stop. Thus you cannot travel at the speed of light.

If you travel faster than the speed of light, then you are moving onto the future. You cannot do that, therefore you have to travel back into time.

Now comes the 4th dimension part... I&#39;ll let the brainiacs of the lounge to explain that.

Is there any good &#39;cool&#39; websites that take you through an animated journey of quantum physics? Please post &#39;em&#33;

Wolfmight
03-31-2003, 04:07 AM
I feel we are in some kind of Loop of time.

There may be life beyond us..
Think about it..

Atoms>Cells/Bacteria>Bugs>small creatures>animals>humans>>then something has to be next&#33; we might just be a part of a bigger part which is part of something bigger> etc etc etc etc.. It gets sooo big that at the end.. everything is restarted all the way from the begining and you continue forever.

Confuseing huh?

well, eveything is energy
how did energy start?
what started space?
what is what?
how is area formed?
were we once *nothingness*?

This is the true meaning I beilieve

the begining of time... you need a brain 1 million times as big and powerfull as the human brain to know exactly what it was.

Z
03-31-2003, 05:41 AM
wolfmight, u are right.

but that is so off-topic&#33; :lol:

superblaat
03-31-2003, 07:10 AM
It&#39;s simple:
there can only be a &#39;meaning&#39; to life if life it self were created by some entity, this god would be unpercieveable to us, based on the fact that we can&#39;t (percieve it). sooo this meaning to which it created life, must also be unpercieble (un understandable) to us, and therfore it doesn&#39;t exist (to us), since we can&#39;t cope withit, reson with it, understand it, or act in compliance/discompliance with it. Just like there is no truth (nietschze).
Therfore I&#39;m just gonna stick with the biological p PURPOSE of life, preservation of the spicies (SEX&#33;&#33;&#33;)

Leech_Killer
03-31-2003, 12:37 PM
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/coverv/26/129126.jpg
Composers: Eric Idle & John Du Prez
Author: Eric Idle
Singer: Eric Idle
From the Movie &#39;The Meaning of Life&#39;

Just remember that you&#39;re standing on a planet that&#39;s evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That&#39;s orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it&#39;s reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the &#39;Milky Way&#39;.

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It&#39;s a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it&#39;s just three thousand light years wide.
We&#39;re thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go &#39;round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that&#39;s the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you&#39;re feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there&#39;s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
&#39;Cause there&#39;s bugger all down here on Earth.

And that just about sums it up for me&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

j2k4
03-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@31 March 2003 - 03:58
Skweeky,

Sorry, but you&#39;re posting nothing but illogical drivel. Edit: When we go out to the clubs and see the sexy ladies, we may not conciously think about procreating, in fact, we may be more concerned about how not to do so. The fact remains,however; that the drive to be with women, strip off their clothes and linger in their nudity is zero percent social and 100 biological. 1000% biological, an unconcious drive of lust.

Either explain your post or delete it. I don&#39;t care about a book, I care about reason.

How can you even state that the desire to procreate is social? I have never heard such absurdity. Have&#39;nt you ever had the eternal boner?

If we can not deal in reality, let us not deal at all.

To be frankly honest, I feel like an intelligent, informed, and educated adult being subjected to the responses of children.

I do want to say that my objective is not to flame an individual, I try to learn from everyone, but the level of response from some indicates that they have "many miles to go before they sleep".

Peace, sorry for any animosity I create.
Once again, you miss the point, this time less than slightly.

First, I don&#39;t think Skweeky gets boners, eternal or otherwise.

Second, the need to procreate is involuntary; it is what might be called a biological imperative-not subject in any way to conscious thought. What you regard as simple lust is merely the vehicle by which this imperative is satisfied.
This is not to say an individual cannot choose re: procreation-look at the semantic gymnastics religion puts itself through dealing with the question.
In any case, Mother Nature (who is a stone fox, by the way) will have her way. ;)

infamousalbo101
03-31-2003, 01:54 PM
IT THINK OUR LIVES WERE INTENDED FOR ONE THING AND FOR ONE THING ONLY.......................TO BLOW UP A LOT OF THINGS ExAMPle

1.your cat

2.your dog

3.your car

4.YOUR COMPUTER (just joking)

5.an old building that nobody uses

6.a bus

7.your arm

8.your house

9.your fishtank

10.iraq

11.run around in circles

hobbes
03-31-2003, 04:05 PM
J2K4,

I&#39;m a little confused as to what point I am missing. :blink:

1. We all get boners, there is just a level of magnitude difference between men and women. And of course, the urethra issue.

2. As I explained before, our genomes actively shut us down as our reproductive abilities deteriorate. So, although the actual commission of the sex act is voluntary, our whole existence is primed for reproduction.
You can use your car as a decorative centerpiece in your living room, but this does not change the purpose of the automobile. You are just simply chosing to ignore what is was designed for.

3. In above case, "meaning" and "purpose" are equivalent, as I don&#39;t consider inanimate objects, such as cars, to have meaning. In a prior post where you thought I was missing the point. I was actually explaining the difference between "meaning" and "purpose" to Z, as I felt that his philosophy class was missing this distinction.

4. A final note. You can see that I editted the post you quoted. Skweeky had posted the notion that reproductive drive as the meaning of life was considered passe(sp?) and that it was more social than biological. She went on to say that there was a book on the subject. I guess my pet peeve is that being in a book somehow makes something "right" or "true".

I would have preferred that she explain that assertion so I could think about and judge its merit. If you are going to counter someones argument, you should first indicate why you feel someone is wrong, and then explain how you think something is "correct". Not just say, "You&#39;re wrong, it&#39;s in a book and everything, period". It is hard to rebut that statement.

Did I mention I was drinking coffee, I guess that was obvious.

j2k4
03-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@31 March 2003 - 17:05
J2K4,

I&#39;m a little confused as to what point I am missing. :blink:

1. We all get boners, there is just a level of magnitude difference between men and women. And of course, the urethra issue.

I somehow failed to discern your intent to be "clinical"; you seemed to be speaking in the vernacular.

2. As I explained before, our genomes actively shut us down as our reproductive abilities deteriorate. So, although the actual commission of the sex act is voluntary, our whole existence is primed for reproduction.

The "commission of the sex act", under any circumstances, without regard to any ambient condition, frequency, or type of impetus, serves to reinforce the imperative. As to the effects of "genome shut-down", the attempt to copulate still occurs in many geriatric wards; the remnants of procreative imprinting still drive us.

You can use your car as a decorative centerpiece in your living room, but this does not change the purpose of the automobile. You are just simply chosing to ignore what is was designed for.

I DO keep my car in my living room, and I look at it as an ornament of art, regardless of it&#39;s obvious motive overtones.

3. In above case, "meaning" and "purpose" are equivalent, as I don&#39;t consider inanimate objects, such as cars, to have meaning. In a prior post where you thought I was missing the point. I was actually explaining the difference between "meaning" and "purpose" to Z, as I felt that his philosophy class was missing this distinction.

The difference between the two words is obvious as regards the original question. Period.

4. A final note. You can see that I editted the post you quoted. Skweeky had posted&nbsp; the notion that reproductive drive as the meaning of life was considered passe(sp?) and that it was more social than biological. She went on to say that there was a book on the subject. I guess my pet peeve is that being in a book somehow makes something "right" or "true".

I agree wholeheartedly with this last; I am forever amazed at what I see in print, as well as where I see it.

I would have preferred that she explain that assertion so I could think about and judge its merit. If you are going to counter someones argument, you should first indicate why you feel someone is wrong, and then explain how you think something is "correct". Not just say, "You&#39;re wrong, it&#39;s in a book and everything, period". It is hard to rebut that statement.

Correct again. Period.

Did I mention I was drinking coffee, I guess that was obvious.

I apologize-I was myself drinking coffee.

I attempted to use the snazzy editting controls and was foiled again. Hobbes-if you would please re-read the quote with my commentary? GOOD CHAT&#33; Now I&#39;m exhausted and ready to go to work-will check in later.

Skweeky
03-31-2003, 07:29 PM
hobbes,

it is just one opinion I posted, but more and more scientist agree that the urge to reproduce is not only biological. From the moment one has a partner people in your environment have the expectation of you to have sex, and therefore to reproduce.
I named the book because, as I said, my english isn&#39;t good enough to explain the detail of it, and if anyone should be interested in this matter, it is an interesting book.

btw: thanks for the &#39;nice and friendly&#39; reply <_<

Rocktron
03-31-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik@30 March 2003 - 17:37
What is the meaning of life?

You may as well ask, "What is the meaning of yellow". It is irrelevent

There is NO "meaning of life". Life exists merely from the fact that, the chances of life at all anywhere is 1 in 50 billion years.

Since there is an unlimited amount of time, the odds of life existing somewhere is sure to happen many times over.

The answer to your all-time question is NONE.

It is up to you to put meaning into life, that is, your life. Your life is just a tiny blip of time in comparison to the infinite amount of time that there is. The longer that time continues on, the smaller your blip.
It just sounds like you have no hope?
Believe in life is a simple hold on to life...
Any believe that helps loving the life we are living is good.. yours is not..

For some people believe is all they got..
A lot of people that don&#39;t believe at all end up in crime&#33;
Like: Who gives a sh*t what other people think? I just care about myself... who gives a sh*t about anybody else..??? (Duh?&#33;)
Just givge me your money or i shout you..

(Sorry i am Dutch.. if you were too i would explane it in my own language.. But you get my drift right??

J'Pol
03-31-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Spindulik+31 March 2003 - 04:45--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spindulik @ 31 March 2003 - 04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@30 March 2003 - 19:23
Well, then we&#39;d have to get into quantum physics. And that is too long to explain.

So time may not be infinate. It may be a loop that repeats itself.

Same with outerspace (and the 4th dimension).

Think of this. The speed of time is the same as the speed of light&#33; If you travel near the speed of light, you almost stop time&#33; Since everyone else is not you traveling at that speed, everyone else is progressing at a different speed than you, everyone else is in a different time rate than you. Time, to you will feel "normal", but after a year&#39;s worth of that, you will notice that everyone else has not aged as you have.

If you travel at the speed of light, you travel at the speed of time, therefore time will stop. Thus you cannot travel at the speed of light.

If you travel faster than the speed of light, then you are moving onto the future. You cannot do that, therefore you have to travel back into time.

Now comes the 4th dimension part... I&#39;ll let the brainiacs of the lounge to explain that.

Is there any good &#39;cool&#39; websites that take you through an animated journey of quantum physics? Please post &#39;em&#33; [/b][/quote]
Interesting if somewhat strange. The fourth dimension and outerspace.

I believe that in Newtonian physics the fourth dimension was generally taken as being time. The three physical dimensions and time being the fourth. However we tend to think of spacetime as being much more a united thing nowadays.

As I understand it the speed of light being the fastest possible speed is currently under serious question. It is being suggested that it is not the universal constant that we once thought.

When talking about the speed of light the problem as ever is that it all boils down to relativity. If two masses are travelling towards each other at 75% of the speed of light then relatively speaking they should be travelleing towards each other at 150% of the speed of light. Using one as the frame of reference for the other. (Itīs the two cars at 30 mph = 60 mph) arguement. However you know as well as I do that they are not travelling at one and a half times the speed of light, because by your theory they canīt be. So what speed are they travelling towards each other at.

When you travel towards the speed of light you stop time. Interesting concept. If we ignore the physical restraints then actually you donīt stop time. In fact you donīt effect it at all. For you. Your time goes with you. However a very long time passes for the people who "stay still". So if anything you either donīt effect time at all, or you speed it up, depending on how you look at it.

To domonstrate this you dont have to go anywhere near the speed of light. Take two atomic clocks. Place one in a very fast aeroplane and leave the other one on the ground. Fly very fast and end up back where you started. The moving clock will have recorded less time passing than the stationery clock. So from the moving clocks point of view time will have been passing normally. However in itīs frame of reference time will have been passing faster for the other clock. Thats why astronauts come back to earth slightly younger than they would have been.

I also think you may have misunderstood my question about time being infinite, or not. If we consider that space time is a function of the universe, then it can only be infinite if the universe is infinite. If we accept that our universe is not infinite, then nothing within it, space, time, matter energy can be infinite.

There may also be other universes. However who is to say how many dimensions they consist of. I think so far we are well into double figures with this one. Why must we assume that time exists in them at all.

Unless of course we are stuck in a Newtonian view.

Meaning of life - still a work in progress Iīm afraid.

Lamsey
03-31-2003, 08:49 PM
:flame:

lots of ill feeling happening here.

You&#39;re all very bad :P

The meaning of life for me is to be happy and to make others happy.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

infamousalbo101
03-31-2003, 09:44 PM
you should just do what i said

Lamsey
03-31-2003, 09:51 PM
Blow things up?

The Americans have that covered... "Oh, there&#39;s a British personnel carrier, let&#39;s bomb it" <_<

J'Pol
03-31-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@31 March 2003 - 22:51
Blow things up?

The Americans have that covered... "Oh, there&#39;s a British personnel carrier, let&#39;s bomb it" <_<
That&#39;s a bit out of order.

Lamsey
03-31-2003, 10:08 PM
sorry, it just really pisses me off.

I mean, they had IFF activated but the pilot bombed them anyway. Then, when there was a british troop standing in front of the vehicle waving his arms above his head, the pilot shot them again.

That&#39;s out of order.

Sorry again - I just hate the gung-ho nature that gets people killed...

edit: just realised that there&#39;s a separate forum for this kind of stuff... Sorry x3&#33; :">

Z
04-01-2003, 12:22 AM
u guys are crazy. live life to the fullest and have sex for pleasure. we arent animals here... :lol:

:P