PDA

View Full Version : What shall I do with these....

SingaBoiy
12-11-2004, 06:39 PM
I have 4, 8-10 GB harddrives... what shall I do with them?

My mobo is an FIC AN17

tesco
12-11-2004, 07:13 PM
use them or take them apart and play wiht the discs inside.
:)

or for a really cool project you can try taking it apart and adding an acrylic glass window as well as some LEDs.

NOTE: if you do this do it in as dust-free an area as you can. IE. bathroom with the bath full of water with no clothes on. :lol:

You don't want to wreck the drive or else the kool effect will be lost.
Don't store data on it just have it on display inside the computer. :)

Monkeee
12-11-2004, 07:19 PM
you can give em to me :)

Storm
12-11-2004, 07:21 PM
try swapping the disks around, or see if you can build on large 40 GB disk (yeah, i know the controller wont work with that, but still........

SingaBoiy
12-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Nah, dont think ill be taking them apart. I prefer to keep them useable :P

Id like to make it so I dont have to turn off my pc and swap them each time. Maybe ill give them all power but only swap the IDE cable :shifty:

Good thing I bought all those y-splitters :lol:

Storm
12-11-2004, 07:48 PM
uhmmmm........ you cant hotswap IDE hard drives...........

so youll have to turn your PC of and swap cables anyway........

SingaBoiy
12-11-2004, 07:51 PM
uhmmmm........ you cant hotswap IDE hard drives...........

so youll have to turn your PC of and swap cables anyway........
No, you can. XP will recognize is when you "Scan for hardware changes".

Virtualbody1234
12-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Small drives are great for testing new software. Disconnect your current drive(s) and connect a small one. Install an OS on the drive and you can use it to test stuff that you aren't sure about like beta software or just things that you wouldn't want to try on your main setup for fear of corruption. Once the testing is done... Just reconnect you regular drive and all is back to normal.

They are also good for use in stuff like building a router running Linux or even just to try a different distribution of Linux out.

Spicker
12-11-2004, 08:50 PM
use them or take them apart and play wiht the discs inside.
:)

or for a really cool project you can try taking it apart and adding an acrylic glass window as well as some LEDs.

NOTE: if you do this do it in as dust-free an area as you can. IE. bathroom with the bath full of water with no clothes on. :lol:

You don't want to wreck the drive or else the kool effect will be lost.
Don't store data on it just have it on display inside the computer. :)
for some reason that reminded me of clocker doing some of his crazy mods :lol: :lol:

Virtualbody1234
12-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Please don't hot swap IDE drives. You'll fry the motherboard!!!!!

Virtualbody1234
12-11-2004, 08:56 PM
And don't hot swap the hard drive while in the bathtub. :ohmy: :no:

Samurai
12-11-2004, 08:57 PM
try an installation of linux like vb said

SingaBoiy
12-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Please don't hot swap IDE drives. You'll fry the motherboard!!!!!
You sure? Im not swapping the power... just the IDE cable. Ive done it quit a few times over the 7 or 8 months.

I dont feel like trying to use Linux any more. Maybe ill just connect as many as I can (my 160 and 2 of the others i think) and use one of the small ones for my main drive.... no on second though... these drives are slow.

I dont know what to do :helpsmili

Maybe ill just use them for fixing broke xboxs.

SingaBoiy
12-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Sounds like you know that from personal experience. :P

Virtualbody1234
12-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Nah. I was just thinking that rossco was trying that.

Spicker
12-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Nah. I was just thinking that rossco was trying that.
umm what happens when u swap power cables??? :blushing: :no:

maybe thats why my sata adapter (ide to sata) stopped working all of a sudden... :wacko:

Virtualbody1234
12-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Don't hot swap any components unless they are specifically designed to do so. And you can be sure that if a product has that feature it would be marketed as such.

Spicker
12-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Don't hot swap any components unless they are specifically designed to do so. And you can be sure that if a product has that feature it would be marketed as such.
i just unplugged the molex and plugged it in again... :blushing:

but isnt that the same thing as a hdd turning on and off... :crying:

backlash
12-12-2004, 02:14 AM
can always get an external harddrive/cdrom case, which allows you to connect them via firewire or usb (depends on make/model).

SingaBoiy
12-12-2004, 03:02 AM
can always get an external harddrive/cdrom case, which allows you to connect them via firewire or usb (depends on make/model).
I dont wanna spend $30 for an external enclosure. My front USBs are messing up anyways (makes my pc turn off).

twister
12-12-2004, 04:19 AM
personally i would take apart one and throw the disk at stuff,
use anther one as a internal data drive
use the last 2 for external drives with a enclosure.

tesco
12-12-2004, 04:56 AM
i just unplugged the molex and plugged it in again... :blushing:

but isnt that the same thing as a hdd turning on and off... :crying:
ya that's what I thoguht too.
Except that it could cause a jolt of power which could travel back through the IDE cable. Other things like that could happen.

It's possible to chagne around teh IDE cables (not on my system though, it freezes :() but you risk damaging stuff... ;)

clocker
12-12-2004, 12:37 PM
If you look closely at the power port on a SATA device you will see what makes them hot-swappable....the "+' voltage pins are shorter,so they disconnect first while the grounds are still in contact.
I suppose you could try modding a regular molex to do the same, but I can't guarantee the result.

for some reason that reminded me of clocker doing some of his crazy mods
I have always been leery of messing about with HDDs...the only successful mod I've performed was turning a giant, old Maxtor drive into an ashtray.

BTW...the visual of clocker naked in a wet bathroom makes even me queasy...

Skiz
12-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Now there's an idea. *Next saturday afternoon is planned*

SingaBoiy
12-13-2004, 07:54 AM
I have a PCI card that supports RAID... can I set the drives up with this as one big one?

lynx
12-13-2004, 09:29 AM
I have a PCI card that supports RAID... can I set the drives up with this as one big one?Unlikely. Although some expensive RAID controllers have this facility, most only support RAID on drives of equal size, simply because they only have options for RAID 0 (striping) or RAID 1 (mirroring).

cpt_azad
12-13-2004, 10:13 AM

:shifty: