PDA

View Full Version : should parents be allowed to snoop?

vidcc
12-13-2004, 02:04 AM
Added to the debate in the drawing club please indicate your view.

the question isn't about over the top actions. it is about when a parent has concerns....should they be allowed to listen in on their child phone calls etc. without the child knowing or giving permission?

it has age groups for each answer so we can tell what difference of opinion is due to age

iMartin
12-13-2004, 02:09 AM
Me, being a 16 year old male, I'd have to say fuck no.

100%
12-13-2004, 02:29 AM
NO
Please do not expect a child to tell everything to the parent
if you think this is possible - you are an idealist

only in SEVERE cases will child therapists contact the parents when serious help is needed.

This opinion was derived from last nights dinner talking to ULLa a norwegian child psychologist who does "helpLines" and online direct "chat" help
proffesionally

vidcc
12-13-2004, 03:30 AM
NO
Please do not expect a child to tell everything to the parent
if you think this is possible - you are an idealist
Erm if we expected the child will tell us everything why would this thread exist?

it's about what they don't tell us

only in SEVERE cases will child therapists contact the parents when serious help is needed.

what therapist?.....Parents don't take no interest in their children until a therapist calls... hopefully a good parent will be able to intervene and help before it gets to the point where a therapist is involved

100%
12-13-2004, 03:53 AM
i agree and wanted to ask the child psychologist this question but then somebody decided to make a speach and we got distracted.

choice 1 : the child is ok
choice a: the parent is aware (or overly aware) that a child has issues and contacts therapist/listens in/speaks to child about issues
choice b : (most likely in issue cases) a child contacts local help line/help group for help/freinds/and all the other directions one can go
choice c: the child is not aware of choice

100%
12-13-2004, 04:05 AM
sorry i got a little distracted from the talk last night

if it was my child and there were issues which made me worried
yes i would listen in
with that knowledge (prooved that there are issues)
i would confront my child with it
depending on the age/ niveau of the child - the child would probably respond in different ways
if there is trust/openess the child will explain
but im am certain that most kids dont tell everything to there parents because they are there own personsand relize this.

question : did/do you tell your parents everything?

answer : i think 99% say no

zapjb
12-13-2004, 04:06 AM
The age should be 18 yrs old.

Barbarossa
12-13-2004, 03:02 PM
fuck it.. if you're over 21 and you don't like the rules then leave home.

If you're under 21, legally your parents could be held accountable for your actions, so they have a right to know what's going on. If you're worried about your parents overhearing, then simply watch what you say ;), or use your mobile, or get your own line connected...

Most parents will want to do the right thing, and if any parents overstep the mark they will get repaid with lack of respect from their children, which is a far worse punishment I would have thought, than anything the state can impose.

zapjb
12-13-2004, 03:06 PM
The age of majority in the USA is 18. All except alcohol.

vidcc
12-13-2004, 06:29 PM
i set it at 21 to get an idea of opinions based on age, Also at 21 some are still under their parents financial umbrella due to further education.
I could have set it at 25 or even 30 when most are already or are becoming parents. It has nothing to do with the age of majority

Busyman
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
I think parents have the right to snoop....just give the illusion of privacy. :shifty:

When children move out from under their parent's roof, they won't even think the privacy is magic. :dry:

Rat Faced
12-13-2004, 07:01 PM
No

At 18 they are Adults and capable of living their own life without let or hindrence. :whistling

NikkiD
12-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Depends - I voted yes, even after the age of 21, if you're concerned. If they're still living at home then I still think it's reasonable. If they've moved out of the house and are living on they're own then of course not. Just because they're over the age of majority doesn't mean they're not still getting themselves in over their heads.

ziggyjuarez
12-14-2004, 12:08 AM
/\/0

vidcc
12-14-2004, 12:09 AM
there seems to be a confusion for the age thing...it goes like this.... if YOU are under 21 vote i that age group...if YOU are over 21 vote in that group.....

manker
12-14-2004, 12:31 AM
there seems to be a confusion for the age thing...it goes like this.... if YOU are under 21 vote i that age group...if YOU are over 21 vote in that group.....
:lol: :lol:

I hadn't realised that until you pointed it out :D

I'm all for leaving this up to the discernment of parents, btw. Lawlords and politicians have no business in this.

Barbarossa
12-14-2004, 10:36 AM

Yes, I was confused.. I thought it meant... oh never mind.. :frusty:

Samurai
12-14-2004, 11:19 AM

i need to move my vote to over 21 then

Busyman
12-14-2004, 02:12 PM
:lol: :lol:

I hadn't realised that until you pointed it out :D

Most people didn't. :dry:

It's why I didn't vote...until vid cleared that up.

vidcc
12-14-2004, 05:17 PM
it has age groups for each answer so we can tell what difference of opinion is due to age
the original thread post stated it was age groups to find out opinion based on age.

natedogg
12-14-2004, 05:58 PM
fuck no they should not