PDA

View Full Version : 100c/212f

Jon L. Obscene
12-13-2004, 05:54 PM
The process of evaporation in a closed container will proceed until there are as many molecules returning to the liquid as there are escaping. At this point the vapor is said to be saturated, and the pressure of that vapor (usually expressed in mmHg) is called the saturated vapor pressure. Since the molecular kinetic energy is greater at higher temperature, more molecules can escape the surface and the saturated vapor pressure is correspondingly higher. If the liquid is open to the air, then the vapor pressure is seen as a partial pressure along with the other constituents of the air. The temperature at which the vapor pressure is equal to the atmospheric pressure is called the boiling point.

Taking a pressure cooker as example, if you closed the valve so all you have is internal biuld up but no release what would be the resulting effect?

Jonno :cool:

manker
12-13-2004, 05:57 PM
I think the pressure would eventually find a release from a weak point in the pressure cooker, or whatever. Probably the seal.

Jon L. Obscene
12-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Exactly.

Question being which point will fail first on different things?
Is there a way to tell and cure before it happens?

What becomes of the surrounding area?

NikkiD
12-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Either that, or if the seal held, the top would eventually just pop right off.

vidcc
12-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Taking a pressure cooker as example, if you closed the valve so all you have is internal biuld up but no release what would be the resulting effect?

I think the dumplings would soak up the pressure and then explode when you stick your fork in thus covering you with gravy

hobbes
12-13-2004, 06:18 PM
Vidcc forgot to add "scalding" to his post.

Remember Jonno that boiling point is a function of temperature AND pressure.

In the US, due to the elevation of cities like Denver, Colorado many food products come with high elevation cooking times. In Denver the boiling temperature is significantly lower (93C) than at sea level, so cooking times must be increased.

In your closed system, the water would never boil as atmospheric pressure and vapor pressure would rise together. Eventually it would explode. If you were to open it right before the explosion, you would be covered by superheated liquid or dumplings, well over 212F.

Rat Faced
12-13-2004, 06:20 PM
If you have any of those plastic containers for 35mm film, you can see what will happen.

Just 3/4 fill it with water, pop an alcaseltza in there and put the lid on quickly... then stand it on the table...

Bar Grenades... great fun :whistling

manker
12-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Or just feed the Alka-Seltser to one of those annoying seagulls outside. Put it in a piece of bread and keep an eye on the seagull for about 3 and a half minutes.

Hmmm, I forget now, is Jonno for or against random cruelty to seagulls. I know someone here fecking hates them, encourages kids to throw stones at them, or something :huh:

Jon L. Obscene
12-13-2004, 07:23 PM
I'm against any kind or cruelty, some people call me soft or a care bear, but I have more respect animals than humans.
And it's probably Cheese who hates them.

As for Alca selza , I was thinking on a slightly larger scale than that.

TheDave
12-13-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm against any kind or cruelty, some people call me soft or a care bear, but I have more respect animals than humans.
And it's probably Cheese who hates them.

As for Alca selza , I was thinking on a slightly larger scale than that.

i hate when people say this. it's bs:no:

Jon L. Obscene
12-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Why is it? I take it by BS you mean Bullshit?

Sorry it's not, in the big picture I have much more respect for animal life than I have human. Not in the respect I would let a human suffer, I've proved my worth in that department.
But we are no different, we watch stuff on tv where animals rip eachother apart for territory, we're no different cept we do it on a massive scale.

Oh I can't be fucked with this, people suck it's as simple as that.