PDA

View Full Version : Video CArds

numba1xclusive
12-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Whic is better AGP or PCI Express? I thought AGP cards tend to be more stable

silent h3ro
12-15-2004, 02:03 AM
In terms of speed the PCI Express cards are better but I'm not sure about stability.

Peerzy
12-15-2004, 04:17 PM
PCI - Slowest
AGP - Standard for these days
PCI Express - New, very fast

All as stable as each other.

lynx
12-15-2004, 08:01 PM
AGP is effectively a high speed (old style) pci bus. So it is faster but there is no new technology so no problem

Current PCI Express for graphics is effectively Serialised AGP. It isn't really much faster, and there is no problem with serialisation at that speed (high speed SATA controllers will do it too). Again, no new technology so no problem.

Full PCI Express will be the same as the current PCI Express for graphics, but faster still. In theory there could be stability problems because of the ultra high speed bus over relatively long distances. But most problems come in synchronising the parallel bitstreams when running at high speed. But this is a serial bus so there no synchronisation is necessary. The result is a simplified interface so it should be very stable.

Storm
12-15-2004, 10:59 PM
In terms of speed the PCI Express cards are better but I'm not sure about stability.

what utter crap..........

PCI-X have more available bandwith, but are just as fast as their AGP counterparts (the processor determins the speed, the bandwith for both slots are way to high to be a limiting factor)

numba1xclusive
12-16-2004, 03:48 AM
Just one more question...is there anyway to increase my FPS on certain games like Doom 3..I'm running that at like...800x600 high texture..and get like 30 FPS...anyway to increase w/o Ocing...buying new card...PC..etc? I already shut the AA and AT filters off in my 5200 FX's drivers...so that shouldnt be a problem...

lynx
12-16-2004, 03:53 PM
That's about as good as it is going to get with Doom3/FX5200.