PDA

View Full Version : First PSP defect reports.

Filliz
12-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Yeah, we know no product launch—especially an initial product launch—is without its fair share of problems, but if these reports of major PSP defects coming in over the wires have any truth to them (no comment) there are going to be some eager Japanese gamers out there in for a surprise or two. Like, say, numerous dead pixels, dead drives, analog sticks not working and even falling off, and even screens with dust and “air bubbles” (whatever that means). Apparently some people can even make the UMD drive eject by twisting the unit in a particular way (again, no comment). No word yet what the exact defect rate is right now, but we’re going to take a wild guess that it’s probably very low.

STory and Comments (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000120023713/)

Small vid of PSP in action(Read:UMD drive ejecting while in the middle of a game):
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cf6y-oot/umd/fly_004.avi

:lol:
I really hope they fix this by the time they ship it this way.

TheDave
12-16-2004, 06:15 AM
i read in NOM about dead pixels on DS. nintendo's word is that dead pixels often happen during production and should be nothing to worry about as the problem doesn't grow

asmithz
12-16-2004, 06:44 AM
If its true then by the time it gets here it shouldbe fixed, so i dont care.

TheDave
12-16-2004, 06:47 AM
i think the fix will probably be insulating tape. it looks like the you have to be over excited to break it anyway. i'm worried about stabbing the stylus through the touchscreen on my ds when i get it though

SingaBoiy
12-16-2004, 06:54 AM
Id like to see the reverse angle on that video. He must have hit the release button.

TheDave
12-16-2004, 07:03 AM
if you look he actually puts effort into contorting the PSP.

i doubt anyone would pay £300+ on something to make it look bad

TheDave
12-16-2004, 07:04 AM
:lol: :lol:

. Posted Dec 14, 2004, 4:00 PM ET by Jeff
Well, I'm going to take a wild guess that the PSP is built like most Sony products. I mean they're not exactly known for durability and toughness. I don't know how big of a deal it is but I think people might have had some unrealistic expectations for how well this thing is put together. It's a cheap piece of ill-fitting plastic with a lot of moving parts, not some sort of precisely machined anodized titanium.

2. Posted Dec 14, 2004, 4:08 PM ET by macstibs
I don't think you can anodize titanium. ;-)

3. Posted Dec 14, 2004, 4:20 PM ET by _
I'm pretty sure you can.
http://mrtitanium.com/anodizing.html

freak
12-16-2004, 08:22 AM
Meh sony will fix the problems with time they always do...

TheDave
12-16-2004, 08:26 AM
i think it'll be a third party fix. sony won't do anything unless theres more money in it for them

SingaBoiy
12-16-2004, 08:30 AM
Ill believe it when Gamespot/IGN/or some other reliable gaming info group does a report on it.

TheDave
12-16-2004, 08:36 AM
i know first hand it happens with mini disc players

Bowen747x
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
i think it'll be a third party fix. sony won't do anything unless theres more money in it for them

you say this as if you have worked for them and know there should be know trusting them??? did sony release any other product with a major problem and not fix it, no! infact, the ps2 was numerously updated since its release, so please dont talk like you know something...

and no, no third party will fix problems such as those for this PSP, third party products dont even normally sell at the initial release as they need time to see what they can do to it, by then sony will have everything worked out

anyway... i garuntee they wouldnt ship a product with as many problems as stated in the original post, dieing pixels... maybe but im sure theyll fix that before the second shipment. the releasing of the game while playing, it appears to be bullshit to me, that kid is fucking with his PSP before it shoots out.

either way im not purchasing this product but i do beleive it will be a good one.

Illuminati
12-16-2004, 07:45 PM
i'm worried about stabbing the stylus through the touchscreen on my ds when i get it though

One of my flatmates has one of the imports - You'd have to stab at the DS as hard as a PSP fan would to break through it :lol:

TheDave
12-16-2004, 07:57 PM
the main reason the ps2 has been modified so many times is to combat piracy. one of the latest modifications is a 5v and 12v a wire were swapped so chippers burn the bios out by accident. since the release nothings been done to improve the appalling disc drive or improve games's performance.

think about it. how cost effective would it be to dismantle the 100,000s of PSPs already made, make new cases and repackage them. add to that the time slip of a release date nintendo timed to coincide with a second wave of high quality games.

btw ill. is it really as cool as it looks on t'internet? :D

Illuminati
12-16-2004, 08:09 PM
It's hard to get used to the dual screen display at first - The last thing you want to do is try out the Metroid Prime demo while pissed :lol:

But once you get used to it, the DS is a joy to play, even if only because it's a different way of playing things :)

TheDave
12-16-2004, 08:59 PM
i ordered a japanese one so i don't get the metroid demo :(

i got mario and some racing game to see me through to next year though :01:

SingaBoiy
12-17-2004, 09:55 AM
A week old but...:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/10/news_6114827.html

TheDave
12-17-2004, 01:11 PM
The PSP will also have to solve some technical challenges, most notably concerns about battery life. Sony estimates that a fully charged PSP battery will be good for four to six hours of game playing.

But Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi acknowledged in a Japanese press interview last month that those estimates were for playing a simple puzzle or card game with the screen dimmed, speakers turned off, and wireless connectivity disabled. Turn on all the bells and whistles and load up a graphically complex racing game, and the battery will drain faster.

:pinch: useless without an in car charger then.

TheDave
12-17-2004, 02:18 PM
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3548&likref=link

these guys were getting 3 hours playing ridge racer in some pretty h4r5h conditions. constant movement on the umd drive would probably have an effect :unsure: