PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a PS2 with HDLoader??

Rip The Jacker
12-17-2004, 02:30 AM
Hello. I was doing some research on HDLoader for PS2. And I was wondering... how is it? I want to hear people's testimonials, not a professional review. Tell me everything I should know about it, good or bad.

- Is it easy to use?
- How many games do you have that fully work?
- What are the good things/bad things about it?
- Where did you buy it?
- Would you recommend it?

Stuff like that... it seems very promising, I might buy a PS2 with a 120GB HDD and HDLoader, just thought I'd hear from some members before spending around $300 for something. Just the idea of renting games and copying them to the HDD sounds awesome. But is it reliable?

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, whats HDAdvance? I've read somewhere that HDAdvance is a rip-off of HDLoader, but whats the difference?

freak
12-17-2004, 02:50 AM
I have it and it's very easy as long as u have a modchip for the downloaded copy of hd loader or a retail copy and u will not need a modchip I have 5 game on it now.

Edit: Yes HDAdvance is a rip-off of HDLoader

Rip The Jacker
12-17-2004, 03:04 AM
I won't need the Slide Tool or Flip Top Cover or anything like that right?
Is PS2 like Xbox where ejecting the CD will quit the game?

I'm not clear on this, after I hit Install in the HDLoader menu, I have to put the original game disc, but won't ejecting the HDLoader disc exit back to the PS2 menu? :huh:

Monkeee
12-17-2004, 03:16 AM
I won't need the Slide Tool or Flip Top Cover or anything like that right?
Is PS2 like Xbox where ejecting the CD will quit the game?

I'm not clear on this, after I hit Install in the HDLoader menu, I have to put the original game disc, but won't ejecting the HDLoader disc exit back to the PS2 menu? :huh:
have you ever tried using GameShark?

muchspl2
12-17-2004, 03:18 AM
works great, the disc just loads up a menu with all your games loaded, you pick the game you want and it loads.

Rip The Jacker
12-17-2004, 03:21 AM
works great, the disc just loads up a menu with all your games loaded, you pick the game you want and it loads.
But will I need the Slide Tool or Flip Top Cover or anything like that?

@Monkeee
Nope, I don't have a PS2.

muchspl2
12-17-2004, 03:26 AM
no all you need is a old ps2 a network card and the hdloader disc, the new slim pstwo's won't work
:edit:
here is a link of working games
http://www.ps2hd.com/ and hd compatability list http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

freak
12-17-2004, 05:27 AM
List of stuff u need if u do not have a modchip.
Retail version of HDLoader
Network adapter
IDE Hard drive ( I Recommend a maxtor at least 80GBs )

List of stuff if u have a modchip
Network adapter
IDE hard drive
A downloaded copy of HDLoader.

Also once u load HDloader. It has the options to install the games or load a game from the list. And once the game is loaded it stay loaded no matter if the tray is open or closed. To load a new game u have to reset the ps2 so HDLoader can load again.

Rip The Jacker
12-17-2004, 05:30 AM
Seems promising. Now I just have to find a fat PS2 that isn't used. All the stores have the slim ones....

freak
12-17-2004, 06:25 AM
gamestop.com has some refurbs but i'm not sure where u'd find a new one.
http://gamestop.com/search.asp?keyword=&platform=15&lookin=title&range=all&genre=31&searchtype=adv&sortby=title&strAscDesc=1000&OrderAscDesc=Asc&imageFlag=show

Rip The Jacker
12-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Yeah GameStop was the first place I checked. I guess Sony got upset about people putting PS2 games into the HDD, so they made the new slim one dammit.

3RA1N1AC
12-17-2004, 08:38 AM
if you have a retail copy of HDLoader or HDAdvance, you don't necessarily need a modchip, flip top or slide tool at all. real PS2 discs don't require any special trick to install 'em. burned discs can be installed by a few different methods... and there is a way to do it without any modding, flipping, swapping or sliding.

after you format an HD in the PS2, you can take the HD out and put it into a PC... then use a program called HDLDump (i think that's a DOS program with no menu; the Windows menu version is called HDLDumb) to copy PS2 games onto the HD. then just stick the HD back into the PS2 and play the games via HDLoader/HDAdvance. that's a small hassle, but on the positive side the PC can install games much faster than the PS2 DVD drive does and you'll be saving from the PS2 DVD drive from a lot of wear. after using HDLoader/HDAdvance to start a game, you can even eject the HDLoader/HDAdvance disc so the DVD drive is no longer spinning at all.

if you want to install burned discs through the PS2 DVD drive, then you need a mod chip or a slide tool or a flip top + Swap Magic.

as for the difference between HDLoader and HDAdvance... HDAdvance is indeed a copy of HDLoader with the menus changed slightly. the only significant difference has to do with using Swap Magic + flip top to install CD games. if you try to copy a "large" CD game (650mb-700mb) via the PS2 DVD drive with Swap Magic, HDLoader fails to do that correctly. HDAdvance comes with a second disc which supposedly does a better job with copying CD games. but if you're copying the games to the HD by a different method (like HDLDump), then the second disc will be pretty useless to you.

freak
12-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Don't know if ur intrested since u seem to want a new one but I was thinking I might sell mine if ur intrested?! It has a modchip, Case has been modified and has a window cut in it, Blue led that shines out of the front vent when on, 80GB HD,network adapter.....

BOUT2BUS
01-02-2005, 09:05 PM
I have a new slimline PS2.
I installed a SlimTool and use SwapMagic 3.3, with no problems.. it doesnt void your warranty because your not taking the console apart (unlike the fliptop lid method).
I got the SlimTool from http://www.pop-uk.info

muchspl2
01-03-2005, 12:59 AM
hdloader does not void warrenty.

Rip The Jacker
01-04-2005, 03:46 AM
A modded PS2 sounds great, but I really like the fact that HDLoader lets you copy them to the HDD. I don't want to play burnt games, I want to rent/borrow games, then copy them strait to the HDD. Its pretty hard to find a new not-slim PS2 now...

@freak
Can you post an image of your PS2?

Monkeee
01-07-2005, 02:40 AM
why dont you just get a used one?

Rip The Jacker
01-07-2005, 02:42 AM
I don't know, I don't like used/refurbished stuff. You never know what it's been through...

Spicker
01-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Try Wal-Mart? :01:

SingaBoiy
01-07-2005, 03:06 AM
You can try this :cool2:

http://www.ps2ownz.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&threadid=28223

muchspl2
01-07-2005, 03:21 AM
looks good but ony 2 gigs? thats small

Rip The Jacker
01-07-2005, 03:27 AM
Yeah 2GB is rather small...

Looks like I'm going to buy a refurbed PS2. I don't get it, the fat PS2's are around $200+ now.

Rip The Jacker
01-07-2005, 03:34 AM
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.miller/HD%20Loader%20Compatibility.htm

Damn I realized just now that a lot of the good games don't work with HDLoader...