PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia's GeForce 6200

SingaBoiy
12-17-2004, 10:04 AM
The GeForce 6200 TurboCache is the final entry in Nvidia's GeForce 6 line of desktop graphics products. The PCI Express-compatible entry-level card is the first Nvidia product to feature TurboCache, a graphics chip design change that allows the GPU to use system memory more effectively by taking advantage of the PCI Express bus.

The one message that Nvidia has pushed throughout its GeForce 6 series launches is that it's a company that learns from its mistakes. In the GeForce 4 architecture launch a few years ago, consumers and hardware reviewers alike lambasted the company for releasing entry-level cards that were marketed under the GeForce 4 brand, but didn't support the same features as the high-end cards. The end result was that consumers who bought the entry-level cards weren't able to enjoy the advanced DirectX features supported by higher-end cards in the same family.

Every card from the GeForce 6800 Ultra to the GeForce 6200 supports the same fundamental feature set, including DirectX 9.0 with Shader Model 3.0. This means that entry-level GeForce 6 cards, such as the GeForce 6200, are capable of displaying the same image quality as, say, the GeForce 6800 GT, albeit at much slower frame rates. The GeForce 6200 features four pixel pipelines, three vertex pipes, and a 350MHz core clock. While its processing power may pale in comparison with that of the 16-pipe GeForce 6800 Ultra, the GeForce 6200 can be had for one-fourth or one-fifth the price. Estimated retail prices will range from $129 to $79, depending on the memory configuration. The card will compete against the the Radeon X300 line of ATI cards, which are also four-pipe solutions.

http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-15144-1361-x-x-x

Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade my GeForce4 Ti4200 to this?

cpt_azad
12-17-2004, 10:52 AM
Yes, assuming your mobo has PCI Express capabilities.

(i've been out of the loop way too long on this, so dont flame me if that last statement was idiotic).

lynx
12-17-2004, 12:00 PM
Yes, assuming your mobo has PCI Express capabilities.

(i've been out of the loop way too long on this, so dont flame me if that last statement was idiotic).
If he's currently got a ti4200 it will be old enough that his mobo was pre PCI-X, so that's not an option.

However, hopefully there will also be an AGP 8x version at some point. They've done it for the top of the range 6800's, it doesn't really make sense that it won't be available for lower range versions too.

silent h3ro
12-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Ah feck I knew I should have gotten a PCI-X mobo. :( My computer is always outdated by something. :(

numba1xclusive
12-18-2004, 02:02 AM
Dont worry about the PCI-X for a while..i'd say not until 2006 would it be a big thing.