PDA

View Full Version : Editing an animated .gif question

Skiz
12-17-2004, 05:55 PM
I opened a .gif in Fireworks and its obvious how to make frame by frame adjustments. I can see directly below the gif I open, all the frame by frame controls. Photoshop is the program I need to use though. When I open it there I get the warning:

"This is an animated GIF. You can only view one frame. Saving over this file will result in a loss of information."

Is there something I'm not getting?
Is there a setting change I need to make?

p.s. I figured I'd make a thread out of this ROSSCO ;)

razorsharp013
12-17-2004, 08:22 PM
Photoshop comes with ImageReady....you can use ImageReady for editing animated .gifs

Skiz
12-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Photoshop comes with ImageReady....you can use ImageReady for editing animated .gifs

;)

orcutt989
12-18-2004, 12:31 AM
Adobe Photoshop does not open up animated gifs. IF you do this, you will ONLY get the first frame of the gif. However, Adobe Imageready, which comes with photoshop is for making animated gifs, and editing them. If you open your animated gif into Adobe Imageready, you will be able to edit each frame/layer.

Skiz
12-18-2004, 03:37 AM
Yeah, I did that but when I went to play the final animation, ImageReady didn't play each frame in a row, instead it played them ontop of each other. I couldn't figure it out so I just saved each frame individually (only 13 frames) thinking I could just put them into Windows Movie Maker real quick and be done with it. Nope. Windows movie maker won't allow a frame to be shorter than 1 second and I need each to be .1 second in length. So here I am back in ImageReady with all 13 frames and the animation box open, but I can't figure out how to put them in there. :huh: I've tried everything, er all but one thing I guess... :dry:

Any suggestions??

orcutt989
12-18-2004, 03:47 AM
Yeah, I did that but when I went to play the final animation, ImageReady didn't play each frame in a row, instead it played them ontop of each other. I couldn't figure it out so I just saved each frame individually (only 13 frames) thinking I could just put them into Windows Movie Maker real quick and be done with it. Nope. Windows movie maker won't allow a frame to be shorter than 1 second and I need each to be .1 second in length. So here I am back in ImageReady with all 13 frames and the animation box open, but I can't figure out how to put them in there. :huh: I've tried everything, er all but one thing I guess... :dry:

Any suggestions??
Okay, what you do is for each frame, make only what layer you want, visible. So for frame one, only make only layer one visible. Frame 2, make layer 2 visible, this way it will not show every layer on top of one another. You can do this by clicking the eye on each layer to toggle visibility.

Skiz
12-18-2004, 03:51 AM
each layer has one copy. So do I need to merge each copy with each original and then plug them in?

The other question up there was, how do I get the frames into the animation window?

Skiz
12-18-2004, 05:46 AM
Okay, I figured out how to do it in Windows Movie Maker but, now I gotta make it a .gif. Hhmm...how am I going to make it a gif? :whistling

tesco
12-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Fireworks is easier for animated gifs.

In photoshop it shows teh wrong layers on wrong frames and takes a while to configure properly.
fireworks you just put what you want on a frame and it's on that frame only.

orcutt989
12-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Fireworks is easier for animated gifs.

In photoshop it shows teh wrong layers on wrong frames and takes a while to configure properly.
fireworks you just put what you want on a frame and it's on that frame only.

Alright fine.

each layer has one copy. So do I need to merge each copy with each original and then plug them in?

The other question up there was, how do I get the frames into the animation window?

What do you mean each layer has one copy? Copy of what? What do you mean "Plug them in" ?

Skiz
12-18-2004, 11:37 PM
In my last post I stated I had completed the animation. Now I need to make it a gif, it is currently a Windows Movie Maker file. How can I convert it? I googled and couldnt find anything that was free. Anyone know of a good program?

tesco
12-19-2004, 02:33 AM
why would you mak eit in movie maker. :frusty:

Skiz
12-19-2004, 04:17 AM
I had all the frames done but I couldn't get anyone to tell me how to get them into an animation clip, and I must have tried everything I could think of of find in other forums! So I put them in WMM but I have no choice of formats. Now I'm just tryin to convert the damn thing. :angry:

iMartin
12-19-2004, 04:54 AM
GifWorks (http://www.gifworks.com)

Skiz
12-19-2004, 06:39 AM
Not trying to be an ass but, if you ppl would read the previous posts then we could stop wasting everyones time. Here we go again...

THE ANIMATION I CURRENTLY HAVE WAS CREATED IN WMM, THAT MEANS IT IS A WMM FILE. IM AM TRYING TO MAKE IT INTO A GIF. I NEED A PROGRAM THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO DO THAT.

EDIT: sorry, that was being an ass. :whistling