PDA

View Full Version : Getting worried about my computer

browser
12-20-2004, 03:16 PM
My troubles started when I installed and ran webroot spysweeper. It found quite a bit of spyware which I removed. Since then, I have not been able to open Mozilla Firefox or MSN Explorer from my account (they sometimes work on other accounts). IE still works.....but oh so slow...

A Norton Antivirus Pro scan 2 days ago found no virus.
I have restored the system back to before Spysweeper installation.
I tried to run Panda Online Activescan but now my computer decides to crash and restart at a certain point during the scan

Please help...

Windows XP Pro
3 GHz Intel P4
512 RAM
120GB Hard Drive
Dell 8300

Skiz
12-20-2004, 03:23 PM
A Norton Antivirus Pro scan 2 days ago found no virus.

2 days ago? Run it now.

browser
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
It's running now, but can a virus cause my computer to restart when i scan it online?

tesco
12-20-2004, 04:05 PM
in safe mode run spysweeper again to make sure you'e gotten rid of all of the spyware (not likely).
then run hijackthis! and post the log.

{I}{K}{E}
12-20-2004, 04:22 PM
a format C: every once in a while, works for me...

browser
12-20-2004, 04:25 PM
My computer restarted again during my Norton scan! What shall I do?

edit: Here is the log;

How do you start in safe mode?

100%
12-20-2004, 04:30 PM
press f8 during reboot it will bring up the options window

i dont see your log...

@IKE what type of answer is that?

edit: now i see it

browser
12-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Can you see anything in the log?

tesco
12-20-2004, 05:21 PM
yes the log works.
you should have made it a post though cause then people without word can read it, but anyway.

fix these:
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {341EA690-3499-4EA4-A627-C2C26664894E} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemHelp] remhelp.exe

O23 - Service: Intel PDS - Unknown - C:\WINDOWS\System32\cba\pds.exe (file missing)

there may be more but i cant be arsed to go through that log file again.
It's soooo long.

for safemode you press F8 just after the BIOS\POST screen, but before the windows xp logo comes up. Then choose safemode on the list.

Smurfette
12-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Turn off the auto restart option for system failures and run another scan. When the machine bluescreens, write down exactly what is displayed and post it here.

{I}{K}{E}
12-20-2004, 07:00 PM
press f8 during reboot it will bring up the options window

i dont see your log...

@IKE what type of answer is that?

edit: now i see it

when my pc is fucked up, I just reinstall XP... :)

browser
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Turn off the auto restart option for system failures and run another scan. When the machine bluescreens, write down exactly what is displayed and post it here.

The settings are already set to do not restart automatcially...but it still did.

I ran Norton in Safe Mode....didn't detect anything. What can cause these reboots? Only viruses, no?

I will now remove the entries from hijackthis and will post if it solves the problem

orcutt989
12-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Did you run the spyware programs in safe mode too?

browser
12-20-2004, 09:44 PM
I didn't think spyware would cause my computer to reboot. I have managed a full scan in normal mode.

After all sorts of scans and restores, Firefox now opens, but it does take a very long time. Does anyone know if there's a way to speed it up?

Samurai
12-20-2004, 09:57 PM
ok go to safe mode and run a spyware / adware scan using spybot and possibly another such as ad-aware.

then do the following:

start > run > msconfig [enter] > startup tab

list EVERYTHING in there so we can see it, or at least post a screenshot.

browser
12-20-2004, 10:02 PM
My startup speed is fine. I only have the necessary programmes running.

But just after I double click the icon of firefox, it takes a while

Samurai
12-20-2004, 10:07 PM
so... did you manage to scan your pc for spyware or not?

i'd still recommend posting your startup items from the msconfig list that i mentioned earlier.

browser
12-20-2004, 10:10 PM
I've scanned so far with SpyBot....nothing found.

Now scanning with AdAware, then GIANT.

I'll post the list tomorrow, too long to screenshot and too lazy to write it all up

edit: Firefox opens first time after reboot. Then if I close it, I cannot open it again

orcutt989
12-20-2004, 11:31 PM
I've scanned so far with SpyBot....nothing found.

Now scanning with AdAware, then GIANT.

I'll post the list tomorrow, too long to screenshot and too lazy to write it all up

edit: Firefox opens first time after reboot. Then if I close it, I cannot open it again

You need to do what everyone here tells you. None of this "But I did it another way.." bullshit.

1. Start in Safemode, and run every antivirus/spyware remover program you have.

2. Reboot

3. Run Mxconfig, take a screenshot, and post it on here so we can help you.

If you want us to help you, you are going to have to work with everyone.

musicmaster
12-20-2004, 11:50 PM

Just wondering Smurfette.... or anyone, does XP bluescreen?? I have never had that happen!!! Only used to happen when I used 98

orcutt989
12-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Just wondering Smurfette.... or anyone, does XP bluescreen?? I have never had that happen!!! Only used to happen when I used 98

No, I do not think XP bluescreens. But when you disable the automatic restart feture, you will get a screen that will tell you what is wrong.

zedaxax
12-21-2004, 01:39 AM
yes it definetly does , even with restart tweak disabled

be very glad you havent seen it

tesco
12-21-2004, 01:50 AM
No, I do not think XP bluescreens. But when you disable the automatic restart feture, you will get a screen that will tell you what is wrong.
it BSOD's if you disable teh automatic restart...

zapjb
12-21-2004, 03:54 AM
My guess. Op got rid of essential registry & or .dll files.

Smurfette
12-21-2004, 07:13 AM
It sounds like a hardware problem - I can't remember ever hearing about a software issue that caused a Windows machine to reset without a BSOD.

browser
12-21-2004, 03:29 PM
I got the following error code

Samurai
12-21-2004, 03:30 PM
i'm not helping you if you you won't help yourself :dry:

David Garden
03-27-2006, 10:46 AM
norton what can I say problems bloody crap what to do is uninstal all norton software then Install avg antivirus software which you will get from downloads .com also install adaware to remove tracking cookies then install spybot search and destroy to remove spy ware also macafee virus scan which will stop any virus from reaching your computer trust me I know what Im talking about kind regards David Garden

[email protected]