PDA

View Full Version : Storage alternatives?

lee551
12-22-2004, 12:00 AM
i'm always looking around for some new ideas to get free space. i can't really stuff any more hdds in my tower, so what are some alternatives?

external drives are a bit expensive. i saw some server-ish things that were strictly for external storage ( some with hdds, some without ) but i can't remember where or when.

it cant be that hard to set up a file server can it? what do you suggest to use for it? i would assume just an older pc with some special specs + NIC.... :ermm:

suggestions appreciated.

Virtualbody1234
12-22-2004, 12:32 AM
DVD burner.

lee551
12-22-2004, 12:34 AM
DVD burner.

that is always an option. but keeping track of all the cds may become a hassle. i suppose it would work to store away some of my movies....

Storm
12-22-2004, 06:02 PM
i asked the same question some time ago (but that musta gotten deleted), but the best thing prolly is like you said an old PC, it doesnt have to be a fast one, prolly the slower (=less heat) the better........ no optical drives (take up space), cept to install linux (windows is prolly easier, but demands more of your fileserver to run hard disks over 128 GiB (win 2k SP4 or win XP SP1 )

and yeah, it would need a nic......... id go for gigabit LAN, since im impatient and dont wanna wait 3 minuits for a movie (of course this does make it alot more expensive)

bigdawgfoxx
12-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Uh...you can prob fit at least 3 HDDs in ur comp..thats like 750GB of storage...

clocker
12-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Uh...you can prob fit at least 3 HDDs in ur comp..thats like 750GB of storage...
More than that, Dawg.
Seagate makes a 400gig drive now.

Storm
12-23-2004, 12:32 AM

jup, but then the older HDD's you have have to go........ and that costs money.......
besides which, that for some people isnt enough

clocker
12-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Yeah.
Like Google maybe.

Storm
12-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah.
Like Google maybe.

no seriously, the former (PIP, we will miss you) Torrentbits alot of guys had over 1TB of disk space......

if your a hardcore downloader with a fat pipe, big budget and a collecting disorder (unfortunatly, im only the last part of that), you can never have enough disk space

lee551
12-24-2004, 05:38 PM

believe it or not, my case only has 2 bays for hdds and they're both full. i have 2-120GB drives in there. ( i know thats not a LOT, but it worked long enuf )

i am thinking of just buying an older pc on ebay or something and fitting it out with some nice fat disks.

SingaBoiy
12-24-2004, 07:12 PM
How many drive can you combine in RAID? You can get 4 or 5 200 GB hds and set them up in an old case.

tesco
12-24-2004, 07:15 PM
believe it or not, my case only has 2 bays for hdds and they're both full. i have 2-120GB drives in there. ( i know thats not a LOT, but it worked long enuf )

i am thinking of just buying an older pc on ebay or something and fitting it out with some nice fat disks.
Your options (for placing a new hard drive):
In a spare floppy bay or remove your floppy drive for the hard drive.
In a cd-rom drive bay. Either attach by just 2 screws or buy brackets that convert 5.25" to 3.5"
Buy a new case with more than 2 hdd bays.

No need to buy a whole other computer (unless you really want to). :ermm:

peat moss
12-24-2004, 07:49 PM
With out sounding funny or jealous , :lol: I think VB answered this a few posts
back . Bye a DVD burner , their double sided now more than anouth storage with two large HDD that you have. Mabye better to back up and store on a few Dvd's or Rw's . But just a thought ! :) But if you really have a hardon for anouther drive what about an external hdd. ?

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/Seagate_200GB_Push_Button_External_Hard_Drive.htm

lee551
12-24-2004, 07:57 PM
mmkay. i might look into buying a dvd-rw. i really should get one anyway ( its almost 2005 ffs ).

i also have my old workstation pc, which works great besides the current mobo is fried. i should get a new mobo for it and then go back to using it as a file dump. :shifty:

peat moss
12-24-2004, 08:06 PM
mmkay. i might look into buying a dvd-rw. i really should get one anyway ( its almost 2005 ffs ).

i also have my old workstation pc, which works great besides the current mobo is fried. i should get a new mobo for it and then go back to using it as a file dump. :shifty:

I know I don't have a dvd rw either. By the time I get one , something new will be out! :P Should add I would be more interested in a tv dvd burner , there also coming down in price ,about 300. oo canadian I think?