PDA

View Full Version : AVG Inat-Virus Software. Any good?

Spindulik
12-22-2004, 12:53 AM
AVG Anti-Virus Software. Any good?

I am ready to install the free version, of version 7.0, however, I want some last minute opinions on that software. Camparisions to Norton and MaCafee would be nice to know.

So far Norton anti-virus seems "ok" for scanning, but when it comes to catching virus infections, it is too late. Norton tells me all about what I am infected by, seconds after the virus did the dammage while online. Too late for me, eh?

I hope AVG actually nabs the virus before the dammage takes place. (I also run Spyware Guard and BHO Demon)

Jon L. Obscene
12-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Highly recomended :01:
Been using it for 2 years, Not let me down yet :D
And yes, it catches virus's as they come in :)

Also is praised very highly by many well respected sites and mags :)

Jonno :cool:

Spindulik
12-22-2004, 01:06 AM
Highly recomended :01:
Been using it for 2 years, Not let me down yet :D
And yes, it catches virus's as they come in :)

Also is praised very highly by many well respected sites and mags :)

Thanks Jonno, just what I wanted to hear. I am tire of Norton. :)

Jon L. Obscene
12-22-2004, 01:19 AM
No sweat :)
The new v7 is really thorough in it's scan which is reasuring and it works quite lightly in the background while you carry on doing stuff :)

Spindulik
12-22-2004, 03:03 AM
OK. I installed the AVG 7.0 and did a Eicar test and that is much better than Norton!

Visit http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html and download versions of the eicar file. It is a safe file that is harmless, but shows up as a virus.

peat moss
12-22-2004, 03:16 AM
OK. I installed the AVG 7.0 and did a Eicar test and that is much better than Norton!

Visit http://www.rexswain.com/eicar.html and download versions of the eicar file. It is a safe file that is harmless, but shows up as a virus.

I have heard good things about this program. But was leary about the slow virus defenitions updates . I keep hearing about.

My Norton picks this up tho I should add . :D

digmen1
12-23-2004, 05:09 AM
I have used AVG 6.00 for 2 years with no probs and it picked up a few viruses.

I have just upgarded to version 7.00.

I hate Norton anything for 2 reasons,

1 their programs seem to spread their tenctacles throughout your machine and they constantly ask for updates etc.

2 Their web site for viruses etc is so huge that it is unnavigable.

3 They have far too many versions of all of their software it is hard to keep up.

Regards

Digby

PS I suppose all anti-vuris software can only protect against virtuses they know about and if you have downloaded the updates, so in some ways they are all useless. Like the injections for this years flu epidemics !