PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Autochk.exe?? Allows shows on start-up.

Wolfmight
12-22-2004, 03:44 PM
edit: the title says "Allows".. I ment "Allways"

My buddy has a computer that he uses for Ebay business. For the past 4-5 months he has had this same error come up on the Windows XP Pro start-up. It appears in that "blue dos" like area that is also used for running XP's scandisk on the next restart and such. (Partition magic also uses it to partition hardrives)

Anyways, the message reads something like: "SystemRoot\Windows\System32\AutoChk.exe failed to start"

Anyone know how to kill an error like this?

I've already done the following:
Virus Scan with Norton 2005: Latest Definitions: Latest Version
AdAware Scan: Latest Definitions: Latest Version
Spybot Search and Destroy scan: Latest Definitions
Registry Error Scan in TuneUp Utilities: Latest Version and Updates
Defrag with Perfect Disk: Latest Version (Diskeeper refused to install for some reason)
Windows Updates: Latest XP Fixes and such
Windows Washer Wash: Latest version (heh, worth a try I suppose)

ehh that's about it.
Now there's obviously something else I could try (Besides Format for now..), so hopefully someone could help one out.

I'd greatly appreciate it

muchspl2
12-22-2004, 03:54 PM
google it yet?

3546 » Windows 2000 Autochk.exe hangs during startup?

In tip 2608 » Description of Enhanced Chkdsk, Autochk, and Chkntfs Tools in Windows 2000, a Microsoft Knowledge Base article describes the Windows 2000 enhancements.

Occasionally, Autochk.exe may hang on startup, preventing the completion of the tasks that were scheduled for the NTFS system volume. This condition is more likely on a multiprocessor system.

To workaround this issue, you could do any of the following:

1. Restart the system and press F8 when the boot menu appears. Select the Last Known Good to bypass Autochk.

2. Restart the computer and select your boot option. When the Autochk count down timer appears, press any key to bypass it. This will remove the relevant registry entries, so autochk won't run on subsequent restarts.

If you wish to check the volume, but are experiencing the race condition that causes this hang, start the Recovery Console and type chkdsk [Drive:] /P.