PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible

.Dan.
12-23-2004, 12:25 AM
Is it possible to change this, i dont know what its called, its when you go into my computer. Is there a theme u can change it to or can u not do it????

Ne help?

sArA
12-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Can you be a little more specific.....change what? Your computer's theme?

What os are you running? Blah blah.....

tesco
12-23-2004, 12:37 AM
It's XP right?

Install styleXP. it lets you change your windows theme as well as that toolbar in your pic.

sArA
12-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Listen to Rossco....he knows his stuff :)

backlash
12-23-2004, 12:50 AM
It's XP right?

Install styleXP. it lets you change your windows theme as well as that toolbar in your pic.
I have style xp and icon packager but it never changes the icons in explorer. anyone know how to do that? I've seen screenshots that have the icons for shutdown/restart changed, but mine never do.

.Dan.
12-23-2004, 12:58 AM
Sorry i wasnt very specific, Im on Xp,, Ive got stylexp, thats changed my theme ok, but doesnt seem to change the toolbar i posted, cheers for help neway m8

tesco
12-23-2004, 01:13 AM
I have style xp and icon packager but it never changes the icons in explorer. anyone know how to do that? I've seen screenshots that have the icons for shutdown/restart changed, but mine never do.
it's only in te latest version(s) of styleXP.
Click (on the left) "Explorer Bar" and then choose a theme and apply.

edit: you sure the styleXP service is runnning and everything? if not then it wont apply the explorer bar theme.
you can try reinstalling styleXP and then maybe it will work. :unsure:

backlash
12-23-2004, 01:26 PM
I see the option, but all my icons are in the icon packager folder in program files. hmmm. has an option to "search paths," but doesn't seem to update the available icons. hmmm

backlash
12-23-2004, 05:01 PM
great! grrr Now I tried changing them via style xp and it worked, but after I reverted back to the default icons now my internet explorer icons keep going to large icons, instead of the small ones I have it set for. This is sooo annoying. I hate when software makes changes and it can't revert back to original settings.

http://img78.exs.cx/img78/8679/grr4en.jpg
(that's real cute, isn't it?)

tesco
12-23-2004, 06:52 PM
great! grrr Now I tried changing them via style xp and it worked, but after I reverted back to the default icons now my internet explorer icons keep going to large icons, instead of the small ones I have it set for. This is sooo annoying. I hate when software makes changes and it can't revert back to original settings.

http://img78.exs.cx/img78/8679/grr4en.jpg
(that's real cute, isn't it?)
set IE to big icons then back to small.
does that work?

Hitchhiker427
12-23-2004, 06:53 PM
heh.. yeah.. that sucks..

Ok, look, to change the toolbar, you have three real options.

1) There is the direct way. There is a .dll on your computer that manages the toolbar icons, and replacing this .dll could give you different icons. Unfortunately, I forgot which .dll it is. Just do a search around google, or maybe Neowin.

2) Y'z Toolbar. This is a program speciafically designed to skin those toolbar icons. When it works, it is a nice program. Many people use it, and probably most of the toolbar themes you see are being done with Y'z Toolbar. However, I have found this program to be quite buggy and problematic on multiple computers. I currently am using it, but it has issues.

3) The third way of doing this is to use Windowblinds. For some reason, this forum is opposed to windowblinds (god knows why), so I would not recommend listening to most of that argument. This is my preferred way of doign the toolbar icons, because I have installed windowblinds on many computers before, and never once had an issue. This is the most stable way to do it, and takes the least amount of performance hit.

Oh yeah, and as far as performance goes, here's a god breakdown.

Using a .dll hack will use no external programs, but will still use Windows XP's default skinning engine. This skinning engine uses about 3-4 Megs of memory on my computer, and I have seen it use significantly more on other computers.

Using Y'z Toolbar will take that 3-4 Megs of memory usage, and add another 3 Megs for the Y'z Toolbar program to run. So, your performance hit there is about 6-7 Megs.

As for Windowblinds, this program takes about 1 Meg of memory when running (remember to disable the themes service in services.msc because it is no longer needed and wastes resources), and the toolbar feature is bundled in with that Meg.

So, the choice is yours.

backlash
12-23-2004, 07:09 PM
set IE to big icons then back to small.
does that work?

tried that over and over and over and over. As soon as I open a new IE window or explorer it's back to large icons (the setting is on small)

so, I checked my system restore dates and I had one for 1:36am. Restored to that state and problem is solved. not happy with stylexp atm and icon packager could be better. I hate when certain icons are left over or don't change properly. grrr. I always just apply default and reapply the icon set I want, but I like things to work the way they should, yanno?

.Dan.
12-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Well finally figures out how to do mine, all seems fine at the mo, thanx :)