PDA

View Full Version : Problem with PC i just made...

Formula1
12-24-2004, 12:17 AM
I just made a pc, and I was able to hook up everything to their correct places. but problem is that when i start up the pc , everything will start up ( the case fans , the case lights) and then all of a sudden it will turn off . Do you guys know a fix for this, please :( ?

Storm
12-24-2004, 12:28 AM
does it give any beeps?

Samurai
12-24-2004, 12:31 AM
jumpers all connected securely? i'd check the memory too, and make sure it's 'snapped' into place.

Mr. Elmo
12-24-2004, 01:13 AM
turn on your pc, when it shuts off, place your finger over the motherboard's shipset, is it hot?

im saying this because same thing happened to me...i did that and got my finger burnt :(

Virtualbody1234
12-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Recheck the installation of the CPU cooler. I suspect you have it on backwards.

Try clearing the CMOS.

Formula1
12-24-2004, 01:34 AM
Yeah i checked the cpu, and also may you please tell me how i would clear the cmos ( removing the batterry ? ) . And i checked to make sure voltage (115) was accurate to my region...

Virtualbody1234
12-24-2004, 03:13 AM
may you please tell me how i would clear the cmos
Read the manual!

Page 26

Here: http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/lp%20ut%20nf3%20250gb%2081000414-r.pdf

Formula1
12-24-2004, 03:38 AM
Yeah i cleared the cmos by removing the batterry and inserting it back in and that didnt fix the problem. The pc still turns off after turning it on :(

Virtualbody1234
12-24-2004, 05:02 AM
Clear the CMOS by following the directions in the users manual.

kaiweiler
12-24-2004, 01:11 PM
I would think it is the heatsink. In most cases when the computer shuts itself off after a few seconds it is a poor install of the heatsink, whether it be on backwards, not clamped tight enough, etc

clocker
12-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Unplug everything from the board except the vid card and RAM.
See if you can pass POST and get to BIOS.
If not...
Try moving RAM to different slots and/or different video card.
Reseat HS (most likely cause).

Formula1
12-25-2004, 01:24 AM
It seems that that's the reason why the motherboard couldn't operate (because one pin was broken off, and one was bent) . Hopefully thats the reason. But thing that really makes me angry is that i'll have to wait for like 2 weeks for processor, by the way can someone please tell me if its possibble to send a produt back to newegg for a replacement/repair , without paying for shipping ?

Mr. Elmo
12-25-2004, 01:41 AM
But thing that really makes me angry is that i'll have to wait for like 2 weeks for processor,
umm....you dont have the cpu?

and no, you have to pay shipping

Virtualbody1234
12-25-2004, 02:23 AM
I don't think that broken pins are covered under warranty.

Formula1
12-25-2004, 02:37 AM
umm....you dont have the cpu?

and no, you have to pay shipping

I have the cpu , its just that i'll have to wait about 1-2 weeks to get another one :(

I don't think that broken pins are covered under warranty.

Well newegg.com accepted my RMA request , and i read in Newegg policy, that processors can be replaced withing 7 days of purchase and I got the processor on Deceomber 22, 2004 (2 days ago). I'll have to wait till Monday in order to ship the processor back , and the cpu was pretty much Dead on Arrival too... :(

clocker
12-25-2004, 03:08 AM
I notice in your "Hoping to get" list that you plan on mixing the DFI LanParty mobo and a 9600XT video card.
That combination would not POST for me.

Just something to think about.

Formula1
12-25-2004, 03:17 AM
I notice in your "Hoping to get" list that you plan on mixing the DFI LanParty mobo and a 9600XT video card.
That combination would not POST for me.

Just something to think about.

I already got the items, so its too late for me to turn back. I read that this only occured in a socket A Dfi LanParty MoBo, by the way I actually have a Lan Party UT MoBo , not the "LanParty"; know what i mean ?.

http://forum.overclocking.com/viewtopic.php?t=6295

Virtualbody1234
12-25-2004, 04:22 AM
Could you tell us how the pins got bent and broken?

It could help others that read this thread to avoid the same pitfall.

cow_dung
12-25-2004, 09:38 AM
i had the same problem where i started my computer and after 2 mins, it auto shutdowns...
i found out that my cpu was too hot because it was reaching to 96c celsuis,
so i re-attached the heatsink and fan and increased my fan speed.. :wacko:
check your cpu temp, that might be the problem..... :blink:

-DeLeTrIuS- :cool2:

clocker
12-25-2004, 01:12 PM
I read that this only occured in a socket A Dfi LanParty MoBo, by the way I actually have a Lan Party UT MoBo , not the "LanParty"; know what i mean ?.

http://forum.overclocking.com/viewtopic.php?t=6295
I was talking about the socket 754 board, not the socket A.
Good luck...that combo would not work for me.

Formula1
12-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Could you tell us how the pins got bent and broken?

It could help others that read this thread to avoid the same pitfall.

I think at first when the cpu was sent to me , one or two pins were bent and went i placed it on the motherboard , the heatsink must have had trouble trying to adjust to the heatsink. Thus putting pressure on the cpu. Then my friend and I removed the cpu and examined it because the motherboard would keep shutting down after a like a second . So then we noticed that two of the pins were bent. We tried to straighten one out with a small plie and a safety pin, but one of the pins fell off, and we didnt even put much pressure on it, just pressure enough to try and starighten it out. So we figured that there ws nothing else we could except returning it to newegg to repair/replace it. So hopefully newegg will do this, since i only had the processor for 3 days , i ordered it last sunday 19 december and received it on wednesday december... :(