PDA

View Full Version : DVD not playin VCD's!

sameer0807
12-24-2004, 03:33 AM
Hey fellas,

I recently burnt a CD-R disk so that I can play on my DVD player. My DVD player says it can read CD-R/CD-RW disks but for some reason, the disk I burnt is not working. It is giving me error.

The movie that i burnt is in .DAT format. Does this has to do something with this? Was i suppose to convert the movie to mpg format first?

This is my DVD player: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=0&sku_id=0665000FS10042158&catid=&newdeptid=11#

Let me know!

cheers :-)

Darth Sushi
12-24-2004, 03:42 AM
Did you make a VCD or SVCD. Looks like your player does not support SVCD and above.

Smurfette
12-24-2004, 03:48 AM
VCDs need the movie encoded to Mpeg1 format, while SVCDs require it to be encoded n Mpeg2 format.
You can't just burn a movie (encoded in any format) to an ISO data disc and be able to play it in all DVD players - you need a player that supports that kind of thing, which usually means a divx and xvid compatible model.
Nero has a wizard to make (S)VCDs and Nero 6 Ultra comes with NeroVision Express that makes producing them easy. There are many other tools to do the job; take a look at the tools on www.videohelp.com

sameer0807
12-24-2004, 05:29 AM
I made a VCD, first time i burnt it was in .DAT format and then I burnt another disk which was in mpg format. I thought atleast mpg format disk will be play, but hard luck it didn't play either.

3RA1N1AC
12-24-2004, 05:40 AM
You can't just burn a movie (encoded in any format) to an ISO data disc and be able to play it in all DVD players - you need a player that supports that kind of thing, which usually means a divx and xvid compatible model.
Nero has a wizard to make (S)VCDs and Nero 6 Ultra comes with NeroVision Express that makes producing them easy. There are many other tools to do the job; take a look at the tools on www.videohelp.com
oh come on. the guy said his movie is a DAT file. meaning: the movie is most likely a properly formatted VCD or SVCD file, not an mpeg-4.

@sameer0807: DAT, MPG, it doesn't really matter. they are both mpeg file types, and DAT is the proper type for a VCD. if a program is able to create a VCD from an MPG file, then it should convert the MPG to DAT while burning the disc.

try following Darth Sushi's advice and check the file with your PC, to see whether it is VCD or SVCD. you can distinguish between the two because they require different resolutions and different codecs: MPEG-1 for VCD, MPEG-2 for SVCD. many players that are compatible with VCD (a popular retail format in asia) lack support for SVCD (a format invented by the gov't of china, which was never really supported by any movie industry).

if the file does turn out to be a proper VCD file and your player still doesn't like it, try burning the disc at a slower speed or using a different brand of blank discs.

sameer0807
12-24-2004, 05:56 AM
if the file does turn out to be a proper VCD file and your player still doesn't like it, try burning the disc at a slower speed or using a different brand of blank discs.

Hey,

I know for sure that the video file is in MPEG-1 VCD format. I think i should probally use some other blank disk. A better one may be.

Thnx for ur advice!

peace

Smurfette
12-24-2004, 04:28 PM
oh come on. the guy said his movie is a DAT file....
Oh, come on. It was ten to four in the morning and I'd managed 3 hours sleep so does my misreading of .DAT for DATA call for such an argumentative response?

3RA1N1AC
12-24-2004, 04:52 PM
yes. :D

Smurfette
12-25-2004, 01:22 AM
yes. :D
Shit ;)