View Full Version : Plan 4.exe

summond_skull
12-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Well...

I just noticed like 40 of these things running in the background

Plan 4.exe

Screenshot:

http://onfinite.com/libraries/253476/491.jpg

I've tried a virus scan, spyware scan using Ad-Ware, and a Another scan using Spy Bot Search & Destroy. Still... These things run in the background. Anyone know what they are?

Rip The Jacker
12-25-2004, 12:58 AM
1. (Optional) Download PrcView and use it to find out what Plan 4.exe is. Highlight it and it will tell you in the status bar.
2. Kill all the processes.
3. Delete the file from your HDD.
4. Check your Startup folder, delete Plan 4.exe if its there.
4. Check the registry, search for Plan 4.exe, delete the entires.

summond_skull
12-25-2004, 01:00 AM
I've tried killing the proccess, but it doesn't work, it just automatically comes back up VERY fast, or doesn't end at all :(. I'll check my start up folder for Plan 4.exe.

Rip The Jacker
12-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Hmm... I would make sure it isn't in your startup folder, or more importantly in the Windows Registry. Remove it from both. Then reboot your PC, they shouldn't be running after that, then delete it from your HDD.

SaYiaN
12-25-2004, 01:06 AM
Got an Active real-time anti-virus and a firewall?

Post a Hijackthis log here. --

Rip The Jacker
12-25-2004, 01:08 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot. It would be a great idea to scan with HiJackThis, it'll show you all the programs that start up with your computer, and you can safely remove it from there also.

Smurfette
12-25-2004, 01:20 AM
There's probably a hook starting the program again when it's killed. You'll need to find, kill and disable that hook before killing plan 4.exe and deleting both.

summond_skull
12-25-2004, 01:21 AM
Ever heard of MSN Plus? -________-... Stupid thing installed 6 desktop icons, 9 Program File Folders, Weather Bug >_<. I got rid of MSN Plus - everything seems fine now :)

Thanks for your help, really appreciated it!

Smurfette
12-25-2004, 01:37 AM
Ever heard of MSN Plus? -________-... Stupid thing installed 6 desktop icons, 9 Program File Folders, Weather Bug >_<. I got rid of MSN Plus - everything seems fine now :)

Thanks for your help, really appreciated it!
No, the stupid end user didn't read the agreement properly and clicked the I Agree button to install with spyware instead of the I Disagree button to install clean.
Most of us here use MSN Plus and have no spyware issues because don't blindly agree to every licence agreement.

tesco
12-25-2004, 02:25 AM
ya exactly as smurfette said...