PDA

View Full Version : Asia Quake

dudevenezuela
12-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Tidal Waves Kill More Than 5,600 in Asia

33 minutes ago World - AP Asia

By LELY T. DJUHARI, Associated Press Writer

JAKARTA, Indonesia - The world's most powerful earthquake in 40 years triggered massive tidal waves that slammed into villages and seaside resorts across Asia on Sunday, killing more than 5,600 people in six countries.

AP Photo

Reuters
Slideshow: Indonesia Quake Sparks Fatal Tidal Waves

Tourists, fishermen, homes and cars were swept away by walls of water up to 20 feet high that swept across the Bay of Bengal, unleashed by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake centered off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra.

In Sri Lanka, 1,000 miles west of the epicenter, more than 2,425 people were killed, the prime minister's office said. At least 1,870 died in Indonesia, and 1,130 along the southern coasts of India. At least 198 were confirmed dead in Thailand, 42 in Malaysia and 2 in Bangladesh.

But officials expected the death toll to rise dramatically, with hundreds reported missing and all communications cut off to Sumatran towns closest to the epicenter. Hundreds of bodies were found on various beaches along India's southern state of Tamil Nadu, and more were expected to be washed in by the sea, officials said.

The rush of waves brought to sudden disaster to people carrying out their daily activities on the ocean's edge: Sunbathers on the beaches of the Thai resort of Phuket were washed away; a group of 32 Indians — including 15 children — were killed while taking a ritual Hindu bath to mark the full moon day; fishing boats, with their owners clinging to their sides, were picked up by the waves and tossed away.

"All the planet is vibrating" from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.

The U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites) measured the quake at a magnitude of 8.9. Geophysicist Julie Martinez said it was the world's fifth-largest since 1900 and the largest since a 9.2 temblor hit Prince William Sound Alaska in 1964.

On Sumatra, the quake destroyed dozens of buildings — but as elsewhere, it was the wall of water that followed that caused the most deaths and devastation.

Tidal waves leveled towns in the province of Aceh on Sumatra's northern tip, the region closest to the epicenter. An Associated Press reporter saw bodies wedged in trees as the waters receded. More bodies littered the beaches.

Health ministry official Els Mangundap said 1,876 people had died across the region, including some 1,400 in the Aceh provincial capital, Banda Aceh. Communications to the town had been cut.

Relatives went through lines of bodies wrapped in blankets and sheets, searching for dead loved ones. Aceh province has long been the center of a violent insurgency against the government.

The worst known death toll so far was in Sri Lanka, where a million people were displaced from wrecked villages. Some 20,000 soldiers were deployed in relief and rescue and to help police maintain law and order. Military spokesman Brig. Daya Ratnayake said 2,425 people were dead in areas under government control.

"It is a huge tragedy," said Lalith Weerathunga, secretary to the Sri Lankan prime minister. "The death toll is going up all the time." He said the government did not know what was happening in areas of the northeast controlled by Tamil Tiger rebels.

An AP photographer saw two dozen bodies along a four-mile stretch of beach, some of children entangled in the wire mesh used to barricade seaside homes. Other bodies were brought up from the beach, wrapped in sarongs and laid on the road, while rows of men and women lined the roads asking if anyone had seen their relatives.

Around one million people were displaced from their homes, Weerathunga said.

In India, beaches were turned into virtual open-air mortuaries, with bodies of people caught in the tidal wave being washed ashore. Some 800 deaths were reported in Tamil Nadu state, Home Minister Shivraj Patil said. In Andhra Pradesh state, 200 were reported; 102 were killed in Pondicherry.

"I was shocked to see innumerable fishing boats flying on the shoulder of the waves, going back and forth into the sea, as if made of paper," said P. Ramanamurthy, 40, who lives in Andra Pradesh's Kakinada town. "I had never imagined anything like this could happen."

The huge waves struck around breakfast time on the beaches of Thailand's beach resorts — probably Asia's most popular holiday destination at this time of year, particularly for Europeans fleeing the winter cold — wiping out bungalows, boats and cars, sweeping away sunbathers and snorkelers, witnesses said.

"Initially we just heard a bang, a really loud bang," Gerrard Donnelly of Britain, a guest at Phuket island's Holiday Inn, told Britain's Sky News. "We initially thought it was a terrorist attack, then the wave came and we just kept running upstairs to get on as high ground as we could."

"People that were snorkeling were dragged along the coral and washed up on the beach, and people that were sunbathing got washed into the sea," said Simon Clark, 29, a photographer from London vacationing on Ngai island.

In the Andaman Sea on Phi Phi island — where "The Beach" starring Leonardo DiCaprio was filmed — 200 bungalows at two resorts were swept out to sea.

"I am afraid that there will be a high figure of foreigners missing in the sea and also my staff," said Chan Marongtaechar, owner of the PP Princess Resort and PP Charlie Beach Resort.

Indonesia, a country of 17,000 islands, is prone to seismic upheaval because of its location on the margins of tectonic plates that make up the so-called the "Ring of Fire" around the Pacific Ocean basin.

The Indonesian quake struck just three days after an 8.1 quake struck the ocean floor between Australia and Antarctica, causing buildings to shake hundreds of miles away but no serious damage or injury.

Quakes reaching a magnitude 8 are very rare. A quake registering magnitude 8 rocked Japan's northern island of Hokkaido on Sept. 25, 2003, injuring nearly 600 people. An 8.4 magnitude tremor that stuck off the coast of Peru on June 23, 2001, killed 74.

___

Associated Press reporters Dilip Ganguly and Gemunu Amarasinghe in Colombo, Sri Lanka, K.N. Arun in Madras, India, and Sutin Wannabovorn in Phuket, Thailand, contributed to this report.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041226/ap_on_re_as/indonesia_earthquake

Rat Faced
12-26-2004, 03:48 PM
:(

My thoughts are with them.

Nothing else i can say...

I just hope im not around when the expected Tidal wave that will hit the entire Eastern Seaboard of the USA happens. :(

j2k4
12-26-2004, 05:09 PM
A terrible natural disaster-the death toll is approaching 9000, and will certainly continue to rise.

Lord (and everyone else) help those poor people. :(

Prayers and thoughts...

Biggles
12-26-2004, 05:09 PM
Awful - whole communities ripped apart. Our perch on this planet can sometimes be very precarious.

j2k4
12-26-2004, 05:10 PM
I just hope im not around when the expected Tidal wave that will hit the entire Eastern Seaboard of the USA happens. :(

Que? :huh:

Biggles
12-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Que? :huh:

Something to do with a fault line in the Canary Islands. If (as one day looks likely) the volcano blows, then a similar but potentially larger tsunami will hit the Eastern Seaboard - and the backwash will probably hit the UK.

This could be in 50 years or 500 years so I would not retreat to the hills just yet.

Rat Faced
12-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Or tomorrow...

All they know is that it will happen at some point.

Thats the trouble with Natural Disasters, they can rarely be predicted :(

Snee
12-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Saw the death toll had reached 10000 last I looked.

Naturally our beloved media are focusing on like the three people from here who died.

j2k4
12-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Or tomorrow...

All they know is that it will happen at some point.

Thats the trouble with Natural Disasters, they can rarely be predicted :(

I'll sit tight, then; I have to make occasional and obligatory visits to the east coast, but I'll get a seismic forecast before I go now.

We've had two very minor 'quakes in my area in the past 18 years or so.

TheDave
12-26-2004, 06:38 PM
does no one else think the media is being irresponsible?

sure 10'000s a lot but i bet theres tens of millions on the effected coasts but nobody points out how little the fraction of dead is, causing a lot more worry than is neccasery

Biggles
12-26-2004, 08:17 PM
does no one else think the media is being irresponsible?

sure 10'000s a lot but i bet theres tens of millions on the effected coasts but nobody points out how little the fraction of dead is, causing a lot more worry than is neccasery

Hmmm I suspect the many thousands affected by this disaster might beg to differ. By dint of this reasoning one would never report any disaster.

Rat Faced
12-26-2004, 08:18 PM
10,000's is a LOT of dead.. its a big story.

Yes, there are millions affected, and it will cost Billions.... however, how much is ONE human life worth? Your talking a lot of human lives ended..

dudevenezuela
12-26-2004, 09:11 PM
"The catastrophic death toll in Asia caused by a massive tsunami might have been reduced had India and Sri Lanka been part of an international warning system designed to warn coastal communities about potentially deadly waves, scientists say."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20041226/ap_on_re_as/quake_warning_system_3

I Didn't know that

Jon L. Obscene
12-26-2004, 09:41 PM
Just would like to say my heart goes out to all effected by this massive disaster, it sadens me to see stuff like this as I'm sure it does anyone with a heart.

It's a prime example of how the ocean will do as it pleases and there's nothing on this earth to stop or prevent it. Is this sort of thing connected to the way we treat this planet?
I've been thinking about this lately and when something happens that wipes out thousands people and destroys so so much in such a short space of time and so unexpected, it should make people stop and think, th sad thing is.....Not many will.

As I said, my thoughts and heart is with those poor people.

Jon

hobbes
12-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Is this sort of thing connected to the way we treat this planet?

Jon

I would say "no".

If they had the appropriate warning systems in place, no people would have died. That is right, not a single person. Everyone would have been evacuated. These poor people died before they realized that there was a problem.

In America, we have hurricaines every year, and everyone who dies, decided to ride the storm out. This particular tsunami should only have killed those people very close to the site of the earthquake.

Almost every life lost was preventable.

Jon L. Obscene
12-26-2004, 10:17 PM
That's a possibility, but this was'nt a huricane, it was a sudden earthquake, big difference. But yes I believe it's a possibility more lives could have been saved, I'm not sure of the area's capability to predict or warn people.

And you don't think the increase of natural disasters is anything to do with "Global warming"?

Jonno :cool:

hobbes
12-26-2004, 10:27 PM
That's a possibility, but this was'nt a huricane, it was a sudden earthquake, big difference. But yes I believe it's a possibility more lives could have been saved, I'm not sure of the area's capability to predict or warn people.

And you don't think the increase of natural disasters is anything to do with "Global warming"?

No.

Earthquakes have nothing to do with global warming. Remember that tectonic plates are deep within the Earth, which has a molten core ( so hot that rocks are in liquid form). A minute change in temperature at the Earth's surface is irrelevant.

Remember that this earthquake was started at the bottom of the ocean, which has a rather constant temperature.

Tsunami or hurricaine, no one, should have died unless it was right off the coast of a particular location.

This is a case of "shit happens" and no one had a clue. No one had a clue because the available precautions were not in place.

And actually, the incidence of "natural disasters" is stable, but the death toll is exponetially lower now than ever in the history of man.

Remember the bubonic plague, 2/3 of every human alive was killed. Today, not a single life would be lost. Not a single one.

Jon L. Obscene
12-26-2004, 10:37 PM
Fair enough, I did'nt know that about the core thing, I know a bit about oceanology and at some point had crossed my theory :frusty:

As for the warning system, there are many places worldwide which have the same problem, the main problem being that money wont be spent on such, the goverments are basically backing down from the ocean and giving up in a lot of cases, it would seem money is deemed better spent elsewhere. Right or wrong this is how it is.

And actually, the incidence of "natural disasters" is stable,

How do you mean? I don't quite follow that.

but the death toll is exponetially lower now than ever in the history of man.

It's not just about the death toll, what about those made homeless etc?

hobbes
12-26-2004, 10:54 PM
You are right Jonno.

Those people who died were a "financial decision" by the countries involved.

I think the death toll is relevant because homes can be rebuilt.

Some people accept a certain risk in building homes at a location prone to natural disasters.

Hurricaines, tsumani's, volcanic eruptions are stable. Due to advanced warning, death from such events are exponentially reduced.

Snee
12-26-2004, 11:39 PM
Remember the bubonic plague, 2/3 of every human alive was killed. Today, not a single life would be lost. Not a single one.

Don't be so certain. There'll always be places with vermin that can spread that kind of thing. And old people and small children with weak immune defenses to die from it. People still die from the common cold ffs.

But it'd never spread the the way it did, and even in an isolated community, in the third world or somesuch where it could spread, people would have gotten out of it better than in those days.

But someone had prolly died.

hobbes
12-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Don't be so certain. There'll always be places with vermin that can spread that kind of thing. And old people and small children with weak immune defenses to die from it. People still die from the common cold ffs.

But it'd never spread the the way it did, and even in an isolated community, in the third world or somesuch where it could spread, people would have gotten out of it better than in those days.

But someone had prolly died.

Yes, well that is all a matter of finances, not the helpless slaughtering of the human race. Today we have antibiotics which eliminate the plague, no problem.

I was trying to make a point about what Jonno said.

Old people die of a stinky farts.

dudevenezuela
12-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Any website about Tsunamis and how they begin etc ?

TheKiler
12-27-2004, 05:03 AM
Yes, Tsunamis are created by earthquakes generating large waves. Or am I mistaking it witha water tornado..

Anyways, the one that will hit the eastern sea border of USA would be a land slide tsumnami, it's 100x stronger. What happens is a land slide occurrs and the water splits and generates an ENOURMOUS wave.

spinningfreemanny
12-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Well, people have been on the east coast for awhile now, why has is not happened yet? maybe just cause it's "due".

If I were to bet, though, I would say it won't happen in my lifetime; and I would not give it another thought.

Then again, I live in Arizona :cool:

cpt_azad
12-27-2004, 06:23 AM
damn, i'm still watching the news reports, so far 12,000 est. dead, 9.0 on scale, geez. wish i could help out, but i have no $$$ right now :( can't wait to get into the military and do my part.

TheKiler
12-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Yes, I feel sorry for the many whom died.

BTW, eastern border mayhem won't happen for many years. So don't worry bout it :D

cpt_azad
12-27-2004, 06:31 AM
western border? i heard a million times that vancouver is screwed cuz they've been talkin about that "huge one" that's gonna hit "anytime" for the last 10 years now, geez.

TheDave
12-27-2004, 07:14 AM
Hmmm I suspect the many thousands affected by this disaster might beg to differ. By dint of this reasoning one would never report any disaster.

what i mean is they're not stopping to say that only a small fraction of the people on the coastlines we're killed. by the way it's being reported i'd presume any relatives out there are dead, but if you really think about it 1 in several thousand died

cpt_azad
12-27-2004, 07:18 AM
yes you have a good point. no do you realize the power of media. :ph34r:

Maxtor2
12-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Hobbes is quite right. Outside the western world, rather little is done to save lives, with the exception of for people who are in power.

Take Ethiopia as an example. Every few years, the western half of the country starves because there was a minor drought, and all the crops died. The western half of Ethiopia, on the other hand, has a surplus of food. The difference in crop production is caused by a mountain range that divides the nation; the mountains prevent moisture from reaching the eastern half of the country and, therefore, prevent rainfall in that half of the country.
Because of the excess of food, Ethiopia is capable of feeding its own people, if it is willing to transport the food. However, transportation costs money, and the rulers of Ethiopia prefer to let a few thousand people die and dominate the headlines in the West, so the West sends free food to the starving people, and the government of Ethiopia doesn't have to pay anything.

Similar can be said for many other parts of Africa. Mexico is not worthy of praise, either, as its government is disgustingly corrupt. To be honest, much of statecraft in the third world is knowing who to kill and when to kill them.

America, on the other hand, has a misguided belief that technology can prevent every death. And, we are willing to spend incredible amounts of money to try to prove it.

John L. Obscene, if the money is provided for the warning systems, it is uncertain that the systems will be put in place. If the US, or any other country, tries to provide the money needed, that money would go directly to the government of whatever country we choose to help. That government may have no interest in protecting the lives of its citizens. As they see it; the more citizens die, the fewer people there are to revolt. The only reasons they haven't killed tons of their own citizens are: 1; it's a hassle and can make people resent the government, therefore making them prone to rebellion, and 2; someone would tell the Western media, which may flock to the story, and Western nations would threaten to destroy the murdering government.
Additionally, disasters like this can force Western governments to send millions or billions in aid to the affected countries, and the governments simply absorb that aid money without any intention of helping a single citizen. Western governments know this, but the send the money because the Western populace feels sympathy for whatever country is hit by a disaster, and politicians find that they can get a few easy votes by sending aid to the country that was hit. The Western populace, as a whole, never bothers to see where that money really goes, and they really don't care.
Mind you, I'm speaking about a general type of statecraft that is often used; I honestly know little about the specific countries that were affected by the earthquake and tsunami. This type of statecraft is used in many parts of Africa, and I believe also in some parts of southeast Asia (plus North Korea, of course), but it takes more time than I've had recently to determine the thought process of the nations that were hit by the tsunami. In the case of Sri Lanka, the government has already requested international aid. It should be noted, however, that Sri Lanka is still going through a civil war (very bloody, in fact), and the government doesn't really have any resources in the first place.
India has the ability to recover on its own, as the Indian government is fairly competent and has some resources, though it would naturally appreciate foreign aid (and use the aid well). Sri Lanka, on the other hand, has been destroyed so much by civil war that I am unsure if they have much to recover to – there may not be much to rebuild because little was built in the first place.

muchspl2
12-27-2004, 07:52 AM
I got some pics if anyone wants them.

cpt_azad
12-27-2004, 07:55 AM
me?

muchspl2
12-27-2004, 08:00 AM
http://members.cox.net/ot_web_space/[tsunami]1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ot_web_space/[tsunami]2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ot_web_space/[tsunami]3.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ot_web_space/[tsunami]4.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ot_web_space/[tsunami]5.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ot_web_space/[tsunami]6.jpg
http://members.cox.net/ot_web_space/[tsunami]7.jpg

TheDave
12-27-2004, 08:06 AM
i think thats one of the least effected areas too

cpt_azad
12-27-2004, 10:54 AM
wow is an understatement (much's post w/ the pics)

@dave, it that's phuket, then ur wrong...cuz phuket was one of the worst hit.

Jon L. Obscene
12-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Yes, Tsunamis are created by earthquakes generating large waves. Or am I mistaking it witha water tornado..

Anyways, the one that will hit the eastern sea border of USA would be a land slide tsumnami, it's 100x stronger. What happens is a land slide occurrs and the water splits and generates an ENOURMOUS wave.

That depends on your definition of Enormous wave, a land slider does'nt actually create a wave, it simply pushes a body of water, creating what is comonly know as a "Tidal push" or "Tidal surge", the "wave" is usually only 10-20ft if not smaller but it is much bigger front to back, a quake wave will be sucked down then forced out creating the movie style wave which goes up, some reaching 85ft when they hit land, closer to 150ft when hundreds of miles out to sea altho 150ft deep not necersarrily high.
However both are destructive but the slider can to some degree be defended against by such things as sea walls and harbours, proper Tidal Waves as we know them cannot.

@Hobbes.... Yes I see your point, the plague if it broke out again can now be cleared up with simple prescription drugs, hence costing very little, or more to the point, we pay for our own cure.
Things like sea defences and warning systems cost millions.
There's a small village 5 miles from me which only line of defence is a huge shingle wall on the beach, about once every 8 years it is breached and the sea powers across the feilds towards houses and farms, 9 times out of 10 it will have backed down a bit by the time the breach happens. Only problem is now the council reckon it costs too much to rebuild everytime so they refuse to do it anymore, I predict 2 more big storms and the village will have no defence whatsoever, the storm after that will march across the beach and fields killing many farm animals and destroying a 500 y/o village.
But we would'nt wanna take precious money away from the maintenance of roads etc :frusty:

DanB
12-27-2004, 02:35 PM
I just heard on the news that the death toll is now over 21,000 :(

Jon L. Obscene
12-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Over 23,500 now :(

Also a report on the news said

"American sizemologists detected the quake but did'nt know who to contact to raise the alarm"

That's what sky news said about 2 hours ago.
This would be the problem, those who knew did'nt know what to do, those who should have known did'nt know so could do nothing.

How fecked up is that??? :frusty:

TheDave
12-27-2004, 04:25 PM
wow, a phone call away. thats crazy

summond_skull
12-27-2004, 04:34 PM
23,500 man thats evil. And I hear the water level has risen by 10 meters there :|... Hate'd to see what'd happen if their was a earthquake tht was 10 or even surpassed 10 =|.

I wonder if the plates could move down, tht way we could sumhow prevent global flooding. Move a plate down and lower water height by a few meters :)

TheDave
12-27-2004, 05:37 PM
i dont think that would work

Maxtor2
12-27-2004, 06:17 PM
John, I am under the impression that there was no one to contact on the wave-recieving side.

brenda
12-27-2004, 06:49 PM
superb pics muchspl2

I wonder just how long the American siesmologists knew about it.

Can't imagine the horror of it.

I fit affected the earths rotation what effects could this have?

I have a friend who is in the danger zone, I just spoke to his mum and he is OK but she says that everyone on the island Pulau Weh (where he owns land) has been wiped out :( I can't even comprehend the magnitude of this.

TheDave
12-27-2004, 07:03 PM
if you imagine the world like a spinning top you'll realise all that happens when you poke it is a little wibble. only a small area of ocean floor slipped 10 metres on a world 1000s of miles across. earthquakes just cant effect the worlds rotation or orbit

Jon L. Obscene
12-27-2004, 08:20 PM
John, I am under the impression that there was no one to contact on the wave-recieving side.

Presuming you're talking to me (no H ;) ) it was what Sky news reported that the sizemologists did not know who to contact, that is all I know, they did'nt say if there was anyone to contact or not, altho I would have thought some local goverment body would have been an idea :frusty:

Snee
12-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Was watching a broadcast right now.

24000 dead people is a lot of dead people :s
Yet it seems every victim but the ones from here aren't to be represented other than by faceless statistics.

I can never get over that kind of thing.

enoughfakefiles
12-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Presuming you're talking to me (no H ;) ) it was what Sky news reported that the sizemologists did not know who to contact, that is all I know, they did'nt say if there was anyone to contact or not, altho I would have thought some local goverment body would have been an idea :frusty:

Did they not also say that they didn`t have the tidal wave detectors in the indian ocean only in the pacific ocean.?????

Jon L. Obscene
12-27-2004, 09:48 PM
Nope, they just said American sizemologists detected the quake but did'nt know who to contact, my above post is a direct quote :)

dudevenezuela
12-28-2004, 12:22 PM
I can't believe there are 40 000

DanB
12-28-2004, 01:43 PM
25,000 on the news i just read :(

dudevenezuela
12-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Asia Struggles As Death Toll Hits 44,000

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Science&cat=Asia_Tsunami_Disaster

Formula1
12-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah its 44,000 now. :(

DanB
12-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Fuck, just watcing the channel 4 news here and its now hit 59,000 people dead :ohmy:

http://channel4.co.uk/news/news_story.jsp?storyId=982655

Tsunami death toll passes 59,000 mark
News Headlines: World

Published: 28-Dec-2004; 17:48
By: ITN

The death toll from the tsunami triggered by an earthquake off the coast of Indonesia has passed the 59,000 mark.

And the World Health Organisation has warned that as many people could die from diseases in the aftermath of the disaster as were killed by the giant waves themselves.

The Indonesian Government said the death toll there had risen to 27,174 with more than 100,000 injured.

Sri Lankan officials have reported 18,706 deaths and 1,516 were killed in Thailand. India's official death toll stands at 11,499

All four countries expect the final lists to be much higher.

A Thai disaster official said 770 bodies, both foreigners and Thais, has been retrieved along the Khao Lak beach north of Phuket.

In Sri Lanka, 1,500 passengers are reported to have died, including more than 100 foreigners, in a train caught by the giant wave as it travelled from Colombo to the southern city of Matara.

Seventeen Britons have so far been confirmed as among the fatalities - ten in Thailand, four in Sri Lanka and three in the Maldives. The toll is expected to climb.

Rat Faced
12-28-2004, 11:33 PM
And as your article says, as many more could die as a result of disease and lack of fresh water in the aftermath :(

DanB
12-28-2004, 11:52 PM
And as your article says, as many more could die as a result of disease and lack of fresh water in the aftermath :(

Yes, that is sadly true. I believe countries are sending aid already but there is only so much that can be done.

Also there are still islands from which they have heard nothing since either :(

muchspl2
12-29-2004, 12:29 AM
I got a video if anyone wants it.

bujub22
12-29-2004, 12:42 AM
the end is near!...............someone had to say it!

dudevenezuela
12-29-2004, 12:44 AM
I got a video if anyone wants it.

what's the name of the video ?

I got 1 called tailand_patong_beach.wmv

muchspl2
12-29-2004, 01:40 AM
what's the name of the video ?

I got 1 called tailand_patong_beach.wmv
http://www.downloaddungeon.com/mods/brevity/tsunami/tsunamiphuket.wmv

http://politiken.dk/media/wvx/3537.WVX

lee551
12-29-2004, 02:42 AM

neither linx worked for me. i even registered for the forums of the first one, and still couldn't find the video. :no:

dudevenezuela
12-29-2004, 03:36 AM
neither linx worked for me. i even registered for the forums of the first one, and still couldn't find the video. :no:

Look for them in the General discussion section

the 1st and the last one are pretty shocking to see

Formula1
12-29-2004, 03:39 AM
the second link works for me , not the first link though..

dudevenezuela
12-29-2004, 03:47 AM
the second link works for me , not the first link though..
For the 1st Link you got to register to the forum and in the General Section there are 3 more vids

also in The LWS Library > Video Vault

lee551
12-29-2004, 05:21 AM
For the 1st Link you got to register to the forum and in the General Section there are 3 more vids

also in The LWS Library > Video Vault

thanks! wouldn't of thought to look there. :blink:

l_p_4_7
12-29-2004, 05:56 AM
Tsunami toll hits 68,000 (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041229/325/f9bwi.html) :(

This is awful.

muchspl2
12-29-2004, 06:15 AM
be even more after the disease set in.

bujub22
12-29-2004, 06:32 AM

whoa! thats a good vid i wisj they kept showin more cuz looks like the 2nd wave was coming in :crying:

mogadishu
12-29-2004, 07:16 AM
http://jlgolson.blogspot.com/2004/12/tsunami-video.html

cpt_azad
12-29-2004, 07:42 AM
thanks mogadishu. btw, where u been, haven't seen u in a long time.

mogadishu
12-29-2004, 07:55 AM
Kind of forgot about the board, then came back and saw a lot of the old people had left, atleast from the parts of the board i frequented... so I left again for a while, maybe I'll post some more now, who knows. Nice to see you too btw azad.

mogadishu
12-29-2004, 08:10 AM
Wikiepdia has put up a huge article amazingly fast... I havn't read the whole thing, but it seems pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

cpt_azad
12-29-2004, 09:50 AM
ya, a lot of people the old members left the board, glad to have you back.

Formula1
12-29-2004, 03:46 PM
80,000 dead from the quake and tsunami now :(

bujub22
12-29-2004, 05:09 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/bujub22/2004_Indonesia_Tsunami.gif

dudevenezuela
12-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Red cross said it could reach 100.000

Found this

Did animals sense tsunami?
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=857&e=19&u=/nm/oukoe_quake_lanka_wildlife

mogadishu
12-29-2004, 05:46 PM
im sure the toll will go way above 100,000 even before the diseases kick in.

That's interesting about the animals, I had just read it before i came here. Why would humans be the only animals that cant sense it? Im sure we are just too busy doing other things and our enviornments are too loud and busy to notice these things.

Cl1mh4224rd
12-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Red cross said it could reach 100.000
Well, the death toll from the tsunamis alone has reached 80,000. :o/

mogadishu
12-29-2004, 06:34 PM
it will be way more than that... wayyy more.

TheDave
12-29-2004, 06:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/bujub22/2004_Indonesia_Tsunami.gif

did they reach south america then? :unsure:

mogadishu
12-29-2004, 07:16 PM
did they reach south america then? :unsure:

there is a little something called africa thats in the way...

Rat Faced
12-29-2004, 07:29 PM
And it reached Africa....

Formula1
12-29-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah it reached Africa , killed about 38 people in Somalia....

mogadishu
12-29-2004, 07:43 PM
yea, but he was asking if it reached south america... Unless there is some giant cannal through africa it couldnt have. The only other way i can think of is by traveling east, but I would have thought indonesia would have absorbed all the tsunamis in that direction.

Rat Faced
12-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Something like, say, the Suez Canal?

Nah, nothing like that in Africa :rolleyes:

100%
12-29-2004, 10:08 PM
3 VIDEOS OF TSUNAMI IN ACTION FROM SRI LANKA AND THAILAND
http://bstn.free.fr/start_en.htm
(turn off pop up blockers-firefox users i suggest using ie)

another one http://media.livingwithstyle.com/videos/tsunami/penang.wmv

more in first post http://forums.livingwithstyle.com/showthread.php?t=90777&page=1&pp=30

muchspl2
12-29-2004, 11:54 PM
well I don't like ogrish but they have all the videos and pics without signing up or pop ups :/
be warned not work safe, and not for the faint of heart.
http://www.ogrish.com/archives/tsunami_image_aftermath_image_of_beach_Dec_29_2004.html
or just click http://www.ogrish.com/ and scroll down for some new videos

mogadishu
12-30-2004, 01:21 AM
well I don't like ogrish but they have all the videos and pics without signing up or pop ups :/
be warned not work safe, and not for the faint of heart.
http://www.ogrish.com/archives/tsunami_image_aftermath_image_of_beach_Dec_29_2004.html
or just click http://www.ogrish.com/ and scroll down for some new videos

nice link... the one where people are ooing and ahhing and there is a guy in the surf is so messed up. They are getting excited then they realize the wave isnt going to stop.

bujub22
12-30-2004, 01:35 AM
nice link... the one where people are ooing and ahhing and there is a guy in the surf is so messed up. They are getting excited then they realize the wave isnt going to stop.
exacully :ohmy:

cpt_azad
12-30-2004, 03:13 AM
exacually :)

no thanks, i dont' much care for ogrish.

cpt_azad
12-30-2004, 03:18 AM
death toll has climbed past 80,000. may god have mercy on the people over there, i'm gonna donate as soon as i get some cash in my hands.

cpt_azad
12-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Here we go:

source: http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/12/29/wednesdaytsunami041229.html

By Thursday morning the death toll from the Dec. 26 tsunami stood at more than 81,000, with the Red Cross predicting it could pass 100,000 once the outlying islands of India are fully checked. A UN official said the toll in Indonesia alone could amount to 80,000.

The World Health Organization says up to five million people are in urgent need of clean water, food and sanitation.

The tsunami was caused by an earthquake off Indonesia's Sumatra island that measured 9.0 on the Richter scale. Worst hit by the resulting waves were Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.

Four nations, including one that suffered enormous losses of its own, have formed a coalition to co-ordinate relief and reconstruction efforts in South Asia.

President George W. Bush says the United States will join Australia, Japan and India in providing damage assessment teams and military manpower.

"I'm confident more nations will join the group in short order," said Bush.

The outgoing U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell is co-ordinating relief assistance in the United States. He and his Indian, Japanese and Australian counterparts have been in touch with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan to see what they can offer.

World leaders have pledged hundreds of millions of dollars in aid to provide relief to the survivors.

And some of that aid is already arriving.

Water purifiers and bags of lentils are among the supplies that were delivered to the devastated west coast of Sumatra in Indonesia. Cargo planes have been coming in with goods they hope will help survivors of the catastrophe.

But there are also reports of outbreaks of disease.

Sri Lanka says it is reporting its first cases of diarrhea, and paramedics in southern India are vaccinating as many as they can against cholera, typhus, hepatitis A and dysentery. Bleaching powder is being spread on beaches where many of the bodies were found.

A mobile surgical hospital and medical personnel have arrived in the Sri Lankan capital.

There are also reports from within Sri Lanka of a potential ethnic conflict in the midst of attempts to distribute aid on the stricken island.

A convoy of trucks loaded with rice, sugar, tents and other essentials entered Tamil areas of the country, only to be forced to head for predominantly Sinhalese areas by mobs and low-ranking government officials.

Meanwhile, thousands of people remain unaccounted for in India's remote Andaman and Nicobar islands. The estimated death toll on the archipelago now accounts for almost half of the Indian toll of nearly 11,000 deaths.

A helicopter pilot who flew over the islands near Nicobar, said that he could see no traces of villages or houses. "There is nothing out there," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

It is believed the pilot was referring to flattened villages that contained 30,000 people before the tsunami struck. But with communication and transport links broken, it remains impossible to know the true extent of the island's catastrophe.

One of the men in charge of relief efforts, Brig. J. Davidos, has said rescuers cannot see light anywhere.

In Indonesia, troops have been mobilized to help the massive relief effort underway to help tsunami victims in the province of Aceh.

Rescue workers and aid agencies are only beginning to realize the full scale of the disaster in the province. At least 40,000 people are dead, but the fate of 100,000 more on Aceh's west coast is still unknown.

bujub22
12-30-2004, 04:04 AM
not to be funny but i think its god ways of controling the population over there

Joakim Agren
12-30-2004, 06:51 AM
Hello!

One thing I wonder is how is this beeing reported in the USA??

Here in Sweden and most places in Europe and many other parts of the world it is a huge story and particualry here in sweden it is all we talk about as Thailand is one of our favourite vacation spots during vintertime and at the time of this natural dissaster which by now is the largest one in modern history we had 40000 swedes in the area 20000 of them was on charter the rest was people travelling light meaning only payed for the airplane chair and currently there is more then 1000 swedes missing that was on charter and probably more then double that is missing if we count the non charter travellers but at the moment only 6 swedes is confirmed deaths. Sweden is currently one of the countrys which has suffered most from this amongst foreigners as it is such a popular destination for swedes. I actually had plans on going down there this christmas thank God I did not!

Sweden is a contry in depression right now and this New Years Eve will not be a party and funny one instead it will be a day of thinking about the suffering ones and their familys,relatives and friends and many city's have cancelled the Fire Works and the cost is intsead donated to the South East Asia dissaster area.

Contribution is important the estimated damages is in excess of 20 billion dollars I have donated 75 dollars not much in relation to what is needed but it is always something and I feelt good doing it!!.

cpt_azad
12-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Here in Vancouver everyone is talking about it, it's all over the news with updates every few hours. Don't know about the rest of Canada, but I think it's safe to say that CBC being a Canadian-wide channel/media, it's being reported a lot and many people have been affected by it. I know I have.

cpt_azad
12-30-2004, 07:02 AM
@bujub

Well, I guess you could say that (and I don't find it funny so you really didn't have to say that :) actually it makes me think).

DanB
12-30-2004, 01:42 PM
120,000 :blink:

Snee
12-30-2004, 02:17 PM
UN estimates 120000 dead :s It's unconfirmed yet tho', dan.

Bloody hell.

100%
12-30-2004, 02:50 PM
I do windsurfing - and have been cruising over major currents - its alright as long as you have wind and are moving - if you fall in you get dragged.
In one of the news videos- in the background i saw one guy windsurfing(good wind)
what im wondering is if that guy actually even noticed that it happened while he was out there.
and the shock he mustve gotten when he came back in

just a thought

Formula1
12-30-2004, 02:58 PM
116,000 Dead :(

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/30/asia.quake/index.html

mogadishu
12-30-2004, 06:08 PM
the us news is doing about as good as you can except... but of course fox is focusing a lot of iraq and how bush is being this great guy and giving money to the poor asian people. I'm still sure the bbc etc are doing a much better job than these crap cable news channels.

100%
12-30-2004, 06:14 PM
I have been in many of the palces the surge hit
i avoided the tourist traps (towns) like the plague
i worry alot about the smaller villages and wonder if they recieve any help (from everyone)

Snee
12-30-2004, 06:47 PM
I hear CNN managed to mention every effort to help the thai 'cept the russian one, in one broadcast. Rather odd they missed that one.

Formula1
12-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah CNN over here was covering on the Tsunami disaster almost 24/7 for the past 3-4 days ... .And mogadishu is right, Fox News is a right-winged conservative-republican biased channel, mainly covering Iraq and Bush....

Rat Faced
12-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Now Now, stop sitting on the fence... say what you mean :rolleyes:

100%
12-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Im sorry but i would like to ask one very sick question
how many americans where killed due to this Very tragic natural disaster?
and how many us & iraqi innocents died to his tragic enforcement?

j2k4
12-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Im sorry but i would like to ask one very sick question
how many americans where killed due to this Very tragic natural disaster?
and how many us & iraqi innocents died to his tragic enforcement?

I wish to humbly beg that, for the time being, we defer any political insinuation with regard to this disaster?

It is difficult to evince the proper mien while others insist on honing their little daggers.

There will be time for that later, perhaps we might persuade you to keep your powder dry until we are done counting the bodies?

Rat Faced
12-30-2004, 10:07 PM
The UK Government are giving £50,000,000 ($96,000,000), to match the £50,000,000 already donated by the UK public...

Doesnt pay for the lives lost, but maybe it will help cut down the time that disease and lack of supplies will also take life.. :(

Snee
12-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Germany offered Sweden help to transport its wounded out of there, and also places in hospitals if there aren't enough back home. And they say Sweden had a lot of tourists over there, fifty something confirmed dead and thousands of wounded it sounds like.

Kinda' makes me wonder why everybody goes to thailand, I mean, can't they think of better places to go.

It ain't exactly on my top ten list of great places to visit.

Rat Faced
12-30-2004, 10:43 PM
Kinda' makes me wonder why everybody goes to thailand,

Maybe you'll understand when your older...

Think of Amsterdam or Hamburg... with sunshine.

:whistling

zedaxax
12-30-2004, 11:15 PM
a reminder that we are mere humans

i pray for all those who are outside of the help regions and within
there are soooo many isolated villages outthere who have nothing

nothing

zedaxax
12-30-2004, 11:18 PM
they will be the last to be helped

the small people

j2k4
12-30-2004, 11:38 PM
... .And mogadishu is right, Fox News is a right-winged conservative-republican biased channel, mainly covering Iraq and Bush....

Sorry, but you and Mogadishu are both wrong.

I have the telly on at work all day; the tsunami story accounts for about 90% of FOXNEWS' programming.

You obviously believe this is insufficient.

cpt_azad
12-30-2004, 11:53 PM
@mogadishu, what else do you expect? thank god i dont' watch fox.

100,000+ dead, ouch serious ouch. may god have mercy on the people over there and ease their pains.

sArA
12-30-2004, 11:58 PM
A Distaster of epic proportions...no doubt the death toll will continue to rise for some time.

I will give a little at each collection point I see, and hope to help make some small difference.

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 12:02 AM
@Sara, yes no doubt it's an epic disaster, biggest one probably in my life so far. I'm getting my pay cheque next week, will donate. And the fact that the death toll will keep rising is unsettling but reality I guess.

hobbes
12-31-2004, 12:05 AM
I am thinking about Sam4, who many of you know despite his absence. His wife had taken their baby to Thailand, wasn't it? Hope all is well with Sam and his daughter.

Biggles
12-31-2004, 12:25 AM
I wish to humbly beg that, for the time being, we defer any political insinuation with regard to this disaster?

It is difficult to evince the proper mien while others insist on honing their little daggers.

There will be time for that later, perhaps we might persuade you to keep your powder dry until we are done counting the bodies?

I agree - indeed, lets keep our powder for other matters. This one is purely a case of hoping that there is some solace and peace for the survivors. This is all more ghastly than words can say. It transcends partisan politics and it is pleasing to see so many resources being committed from all parts of the world.

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 12:28 AM
I agree - indeed, lets keep our powder for other matters. This one is purely a case of hoping that there is some solace and peace for the survivors. This is all more ghastly than words can say. It transcends partisan politics and it is pleasing to see so many resources being committed from all parts of the world.

I also agree. I'm sorry for any remarks that I may have made, directly or indirectly. It makes me feel a lot better to see that the whole world is contributing to this, honestly this being the worst of times is also turning out to be the best of times in humanity in the fact that people that live half way around the world are opening up their hearts. So for now, please, keep politics out of this.

j2k4
12-31-2004, 12:29 AM
I am thinking about Sam4, who many of you know despite his absence. His wife had taken their baby to Thailand, wasn't it? Hope all is well with Sam and his daughter.

I'll inquire at R & C's immediately... :huh:

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Hope they're alright.

Rat Faced
12-31-2004, 12:41 AM

OMG...

I thought they were back in the UK..

I hope they are alright if im wrong.

j2k4
12-31-2004, 12:42 AM
I've posted in R & C's; will forward any news.

Rikk is missing several friends from Phuket and other locales...

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 12:42 AM
Wait, so they're in Thailand? Damn, where exactly in Thailand?

j2k4
12-31-2004, 12:45 AM
OMG...

I thought they were back in the UK..

I hope they are alright if im wrong.

Is Sam's wife named Layla?

If so, his whereabouts are being checked by some of the members in R & C's already, so perhaps we'll hear something, hopefully positive...

DanB
12-31-2004, 12:50 AM
His daughter's named Layla. Sam hasn't mentioned it so I assume everything is okay. If I remember rightly it was Bangkok where they lived anyway.

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 12:52 AM
If it's Bangkok, they should be alright, right?

DanB
12-31-2004, 12:59 AM
If it's Bangkok, they should be alright, right?

yeah :)

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 02:26 AM
Well then lets hope they're in Bangkok and that they are alright.

muchspl2
12-31-2004, 05:07 AM
could be banned from life and not just a stupid internet message board, guess that makes some people happy. :(

Cheese
12-31-2004, 05:19 AM
could be banned from life and not just a stupid internet message board, guess that makes some people happy. :(

Sam's okay he's been on our board all day...he hasn't said anything so I'd assume everything is okay with him and his family.

(and according to his profile he's not banned here. As I recall just before the change to vb he was put onto moderation but decided to stay away anyhow.)

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 05:20 AM
what the hell are you talkin about much? that's not even funny

muchspl2
12-31-2004, 05:58 AM
I thought he was still banned, I can't keep up, but some members take moderating a internet message board too seriously.
just saying.

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 06:11 AM
Didn't know he was banned.

mogadishu
12-31-2004, 08:05 AM
This is really pissing me off.. why cant the red cross or something just say they think 250k people are dead or something.. this is feeling like a basketball game.. I know these places are remote, but they must be able to come up with some number.

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 08:20 AM
Well if they were just supposed to say it, it'd be lying because they would just pull a number out of their ass. Anyways, lets just wait and see what happens.

mogadishu
12-31-2004, 08:48 AM
yea i guess, but you feel so awful and say to yourself.. shit 80,000 people are dead.. then the next day you feel worse cus 120,000 people are dead. I guess its more than i just want the number to stop rather than what the number it is.

muchspl2
12-31-2004, 08:50 AM
I fear the grand tottal :(

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 10:02 AM
I think everyone fears the grand total much, may god have mercy on every living being on this planet.

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Well, invetibility is one son of a... anyways:

source: http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/31/asia.quake/index.html

Tsunami death toll tops 135,000
World Bank gives $250m, European nations boost pledges

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- The world was stepping up efforts to aid millions of survivors of the devastating tsunami that swept across southern Asia as the death toll rose above 135,000.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan appealed for the international community to come together to help the victims, and several European nations said they were increasing their donations in response.

Britain boosted its pledge from $30 million to $95 million, and the World Bank added $250 million to the $250 million pledged by the international community.

Annan welcomed the aid and said even more would be needed. A donors conference is planned for January 11.

Canada has announced a debt moratorium for tsunami-affected countries, and other wealthy creditor nations are expected to follow suit.

Meanwhile, a U.S. delegation headed by Secretary of State Colin Powell and Florida Gov. Jeb Bush -- brother of President George W. Bush -- will travel to southern Asia Sunday to assess humanitarian needs.

"This is an unprecedented global catastrophe that requires an unprecedented global response," Annan said.

"It has registered deeply in the consciousness and conscience of the world as we seek to grasp the speed, the force and the magnitude with which it happened.

"The impact will be felt for a long time to come."

The regional death toll rose to 135,263 on Friday after Tamil Tiger rebels in Sri Lanka said 14,000 were killed in rebel-controlled areas in the north and east of the island.

Sri Lankan officials report at least 27,008 deaths in non-rebel-held areas, putting the island's total death toll at 41,008.

Indonesian officials said nearly 80,000 died on Sumatra, the island whose western coast was first hit by the massive wave triggered by Sunday's magnitude 9.0 underwater earthquake.

There are more than 4,000 dead in Thailand and at least 10,000 deaths in India.

India's toll is almost certain to rise as emergency teams reach the remote Andaman and Nicobar islands, closer to the earthquake's epicenter. Few of the islands rise higher than 12 feet above sea level, and the southernmost islands were swamped by the tsunami.

Jan Egeland, the U.N.'s emergency relief coordinator, said the relief effort is monumental -- likely the largest and most expensive in history.

"We're still finding places in northern Sumatra and elsewhere where there are many, many dead," Egeland said.

In Sweden, flags will fly at half-staff Saturday as the nation observes a day of mourning for its 44 victims. Prime Minister Goeran Persson attended a memorial service Thursday in Stockholm with the royal family and said Sweden's toll could exceed 1,000.

There are 2,500 Swedes missing in Thailand, most of them backpackers believed to be in Phuket or Khao Lang.

With disaster assessment and aid teams still trying to assess remote areas, the scope of the disaster is still difficult to grasp.

Indonesian-based British conservationist Mike Griffiths flew over the western coast of Sumatra and said it was "like a nuclear blast has leveled the area."

Between Meulaboh and Chalang, about 60 miles north, no villages are left, he said. Calong, a town of 13,000, has "vaporized," he said.

John Budd, a spokesman for UNICEF in Indonesia, said the infrastructure damage in Aceh province in Sumatra's north has made distributing aid especially difficult.

"UNICEF has an office which could have easily started, but that office has been wrecked," he said.

The 9.0-magnitude earthquake struck about 7 a.m. Sunday (7 p.m. ET), knocking down buildings along the shore, up to Aceh's capital, Banda Aceh, on the northern point.

More than a million people in Sri Lanka were forced from their homes -- and nearly half of those no longer have homes.

Malaysia reported 66 deaths and six missing, but Deputy Prime Minister Mohamed Najib said flooding in the Pinang and Kedah states was extensive.

More dead were reported in Myanmar (formerly Burma), Bangladesh, Tanzania, Somalia and Kenya.

Thousands of the dead remain unidentified, and some officials said decomposition is making identification more difficult.

UcanRock2
12-31-2004, 01:38 PM
I fear the grand tottal :(

Me too :( ...up to 135,000 and still climbing.

cpt_azad
12-31-2004, 01:43 PM
Atleast mankind knows when to care and help. This is one of those only times where every one on Earth feels for others that they do not know about.

100%
12-31-2004, 03:32 PM
More photos and videos of the horror

http://www.vikash.nl/tsunami/

Snee
12-31-2004, 03:55 PM
Maybe you'll understand when your older...

Think of Amsterdam or Hamburg... with sunshine.

:whistling
And more child prostitutes? :no:

That'ds what I remember thailand for bifg scandls with child prostitutes and pedophiles a few years boanck.

Caroline
12-31-2004, 06:01 PM
http://fs5.deviantart.com/i/2004/366/4/8/Waves_Of_Destruction_by_NightCrawlerNX.jpg

Snee
12-31-2004, 06:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/snorlax/X.jpg

Mine's bigger.

Biggles
12-31-2004, 06:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/snorlax/X.jpg

Mine's bigger.

Size isn't everything

:blink:

apparently. :ph34r:

mogadishu
12-31-2004, 07:32 PM
what the hell are you talking about?

Snee
12-31-2004, 07:41 PM
I don't know.

What are you talking about? :unsure:

mogadishu
12-31-2004, 07:58 PM
god stop confusing me.

Snee
12-31-2004, 09:19 PM
Yeah, this has got to stop, god. :angry:

cpt_azad
01-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Please stop.

Strangelove
01-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Ahhh.... so this thread has turned to kiddies paradise, eh? Well done.

You know, a little bit of sensitivity won't go amiss here guys :)

cpt_azad
01-01-2005, 02:19 AM
What the hell are you talking about strangey?

Snee
01-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Ahhh.... so this thread has turned to kiddies paradise, eh? Well done.

You know, a little bit of sensitivity won't go amiss here guys :)
1) It was harmlesss, no one was inulted. And no disrespect was meant.
2) In the future, don't go digging the day after. It's just unnecessary.

cpt_azad
01-01-2005, 03:28 PM
agreed, nowhere in this thread was anyone insulted, and to do what you've done strangelove, just plain wrong.

cpt_azad
01-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Aid is finally arriving, a week later too. Looks like aid is in the billions now.

Aid pledges top $2 billion

Pledges of international financial support for countries -- from Asia to Africa -- devastated by the Indian Ocean tsunamis have reached $2 billion.

The amount, which includes contributions from many countries and the World Bank, is larger than what was pledged following all of the other humanitarian emergencies worldwide in 2004, said U.N. emergency relief coordinator Jan Egeland.

Egeland said the United Nations needs cargo airplanes, 100 boats, several hundred trucks, 10 fully equipped base camps with staff support for the aid personnel and water treatment units.

Japan's prime minister said Saturday his country had increased its funding pledge to $500 million from $30 million.

U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan will attend a donor conference Thursday in Jakarta, Indonesia, the United Nations said Saturday. Afterward, he will visit stricken areas in the region, said U.N. spokesman Brendan Varma.

Annan will press for pledges then visit some of the tsunami-stricken areas in south Asia, Varma said.

Hat's off to Japan.

Chewie
01-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Hat's off to Japan.
Can't argue with that.

Now, are we talking Imperial billions (a million millions) or US billions (a thousand millions)?

cpt_azad
01-02-2005, 09:13 PM
hmmm, I think it's USD.

Biggles
01-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Can't argue with that.

Now, are we talking Imperial billions (a million millions) or US billions (a thousand millions)?

I grew up having it drummed into me that a billion was a million million. I still struggle a little with this 1000 million thing. :blink:

Chewie
01-03-2005, 12:11 AM
I grew up having it drummed into me that a billion was a million million. I still struggle a little with this 1000 million thing. :blink:
Yeah it irks me somewhat when our own politicians talk of billions in the 'new age' US definition; it sounds so much better when talking of NHS and education spending, eh?