PDA

View Full Version : CPU Fan

LilAznAccommodator
12-27-2004, 04:43 AM
Hey Everyone,

I was wanting to purchase a new CPU Fan.. I currently have a Volcano 7 I think lol... Anyway it is pretty loud, I am not realyl a Computer Hardware person... so my knowlegde on this is limited.. But I was wanting to purchase a new CPU Fan.. Not Water Cooling system... So witht hat said.. I am basically looking for the QUIETEST CPU Fan, as I am sure more people are... But I have searched a few and haven't had much luck... ONly one that seems ok is: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-128-004&depa=0

The price is ok to..

Give your opinion. . . More or less your recommendations, and please include a link if possible.. Thank you.

IF you need further information, do let me know.

Darth Sushi
12-27-2004, 05:00 AM
That will suffice provided no overclocking is involved.

LilAznAccommodator
12-27-2004, 05:05 AM
Yeah, I dont' want to overclock.

kaiweiler
12-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Might give you a slight edge over the stock cooler, but probably no amazing temperatures. Definately not a heatsink for overclocking, but as you say you will be doing no overclocking, I would just go with the quietest solution possible.

clocker
12-27-2004, 01:07 PM
What motherboard and chip is this HSF for?

fkdup74
12-27-2004, 01:35 PM
vantec aeroflow is fairly nice for non-OC
i got one on my Athlon XP 2400+, keeps it about 38-41C
for the price its pretty cool, about 20 bucks USD

http://www.vantecusa.com/product-cooling.html
^thats a link to a list of there stuff
couldnt give a specific hs/f cuz you didnt say what cpu you need to cool :P

LilAznAccommodator
12-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Computer Specs:

AMD Athlon[tm] XP 2100+
1.74 GHz
1.00 GB DDR RAM
Radeon 8500LE

clocker
12-27-2004, 02:40 PM
OK...we're halfway there.
What motherboard?
This is of interest mainly to see if your board has mounting holes around the socket or not.
Having them widens the range of suitable heatsinks considerably.

LilAznAccommodator
12-27-2004, 02:41 PM
MOtherboard: EpoX 8RDA+

clocker
12-27-2004, 02:53 PM
Thank you.
Your board does include the holes.

This means that the Zalman 7000, a personal favorite of mine, will work.
So too would the new Thermalright SI-97 (which mounts with the stock socket clips).
I recently got the TR in stock at my shop and it looks to be a fine solution, although I have yet to actually try one out.
The choice of fan for the TR ( it does NOT come with one) would be the determining factor in how efficient/quiet it is.

Don't let your stated aversion to OCing determine your choice of sinks...a good heatsink is effective at any level of performance, while a marginal one can hinder your PC even at stock settings.

fkdup74
12-27-2004, 03:05 PM
So too would the new Thermalright SI-97 (which mounts with the stock socket clips).

ooohhh, that one is sweet :D
and yeah, if you're gonna shell out a few extra bucks....
thermalright is the pwnage

i was just tryin to offer a cheaper solution with the vantec :P

clocker
12-27-2004, 03:36 PM
The TR is more than " a few extra bucks" especially since you also have to come up with the fan.

I can recommend the Zalman without reservation as the quietest of the semi-performance heatsinks.
The TRs (long held to be the creme de la creme of strictly high performance sinks) require a fairly high pressure ( thus noisy) fan to really exploit their goodness.

There can be mounting issues with the Zalman that the Thermalright apparently does not have (they claim to be compatable with every board known to man...), but if it fits your board the Zalman is an excellent choice IMO.

fkdup74
12-27-2004, 09:46 PM
The TR is more than " a few extra bucks" especially since you also have to come up with the fan.

yeah i was putting it lightly :P
arent the heatsinks alone about 50 bucks USD?
think thats what i seen em for, hard to say, bad memory, hehehe

Snee
12-27-2004, 09:53 PM
There are quiter everflows that do a good job.

But they have slide bearings, I think. That one should possibly be more durable.

Frohike
12-29-2004, 01:28 PM
FYI, these (http://www.quietpc.com/uk/) guys are pretty good for pc stfuing.