PDA

View Full Version : win xp

johnq86
12-27-2004, 07:56 AM
i curently have win me but i want to have win xp.how do i go n do this with out messin anything up with my computer?am i gonna loose everythin on my computer?

nsane
12-27-2004, 09:46 AM
depends if you format or not, which is the best thing to do, especially with xp's fat ass ;) :lol:

muchspl2
12-27-2004, 09:55 AM
xp is alot different than ME.
blue screens don't happen every day like with ME, very rare with XP.

Chewie
12-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Put in the XP CD and choose to update. You won't lose anything so your downloads and installations will be fine; also you won't loose anything so you won't need to tighten anything either.

peat moss
12-27-2004, 02:28 PM
Put in the XP CD and choose to update. You won't lose anything so your downloads and installations will be fine; also you won't loose anything so you won't need to tighten anything either.

It might be good to use the check compatibility feature first. That way he has a heads up if its going to be a problem with scanner, printer, ETC.

Hey welcome back Chewie , were you been hiding? :)

gildan2020
12-27-2004, 03:03 PM
i curently have win me but i want to have win xp.how do i go n do this with out messin anything up with my computer?am i gonna loose everythin on my computer?
yeah, u can install winxp over it...but everything will be quite messy by then.
ur programs will not work anymore, u might even need to get their latest versions

it's much better if u backup ur files to someplace else and then format the comp with the winxp cd

gildan2020

Smurfette
12-27-2004, 04:38 PM
ur programs will not work anymore, u might even need to get their latest versions
Some of his programs may not work as they should, but there is usually a fix/update.

fkdup74
12-27-2004, 11:56 PM
It might be good to use the check compatibility feature first. That way he has a heads up if its going to be a problem with scanner, printer, ETC.

that shouldnt be a prob
i've only seen one piece of hardware that wouldnt run under XP
an old lexmark printer (from a Win ME PC coincidentally) :lol:
but i think that printer had been abused though :P
and i think XP pretty much covers all software that ran under ME

but as JPaul said, a clean install would be MUCH better
start burnin cds, make them backups :P

orcutt989
12-28-2004, 03:16 AM
DO NOT UPDATE WITH ME. If you have ME always do a full install of windows XP. You can recover your disk later. But never update ME to Xp, all of the errors go along with it, making your Xp experience absolutely terrible. I have dont this 11 times.

tesco
12-28-2004, 04:41 AM
i wouldn't do an update install.
You almost alwaus habe problems if you do it that way.
Best to backup all your data then format and install a fresh XP copy.

RPerry
12-28-2004, 09:48 AM
I agree, full install is the way to go. If your not sure about staying with Xp, best bet would be to get a small HD and load XP on to that. I'm willing to bet you'll stick with it though. I did the same myself from 98SE, and never looked back ;)