PDA

View Full Version : Pc Remote options???

feygan
12-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Ok Ive not long got a nice projector setup along with a decent Tv card, so I now pretty much use the computer for anything and everything. However I could do with a decent remote that can control stuff like the main windows sound volume, along with ideally winamp and videolan. Oh and also it would be handy if it didnt look like a bricks rejected cousin.

Any suggestions???

SingaBoiy
12-29-2004, 04:15 PM
Get an ATI TV Wonder with a remote. Or just can pick up Windows XP Media Center Edition. It comes with a remote to control XP :1eye:

feygan
12-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Having already got a TV card it would be kinda pointless to get a second one just for a remote, and I blank refuse to buy anything that has the microsoft mark of satan on it.

Any other suggestions?

Virtualbody1234
12-29-2004, 08:38 PM
I blank refuse to buy anything that has the microsoft mark of satan on it.
Who said anything about buying? This is File Sharing Talk.

tesco
12-29-2004, 09:56 PM
You're can't download the remote... :rolleyes:

Peerzy
12-29-2004, 09:59 PM

Vb1234 - I told you to only sniff at night and only do a few lines at a time.

Virtualbody1234
12-29-2004, 10:18 PM
The Microsoft product in question is Windows XP Media Center Edition (software). Not the remote (hardware).

Therefore downloadable. :P

No sniffing here. :no:

RPerry
12-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Still looks to me like they are actually looking for the remote :huh:

And btw, I was supposed to buy the 9800 all in wonder card this weekend, and bought the processor and mb instead :rolleyes: , but what does everyone think of that card ?

tesco
12-29-2004, 10:32 PM
The Microsoft product in question is Windows XP Media Center Edition (software). Not the remote (hardware).

Therefore downloadable. :P

No sniffing here. :no:
he wants remote not software. :P
:rolleyes:

Virtualbody1234
12-29-2004, 10:55 PM
I blank refuse to buy anything that has the microsoft mark of satan on it.
Microsoft remote?

Peerzy
12-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Still looks to me like they are actually looking for the remote :huh:

And btw, I was supposed to buy the 9800 all in wonder card this weekend, and bought the processor and mb instead :rolleyes: , but what does everyone think of that card ?

Thread hijacker! Reported :shifty:

SingaBoiy
12-30-2004, 03:28 AM
I got WinXP MCE from SuprNova before it went down. It seemed pretty cool. I never got the remote though.

http://search.ebay.com/XP-Media-Center-Remote_W0QQfromZR8QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

Can get it pretty cheap.

3RA1N1AC
12-30-2004, 07:42 AM
Having already got a TV card it would be kinda pointless to get a second one just for a remote, and I blank refuse to buy anything that has the microsoft mark of satan on it.
i managed to get an ATI remote via eBay a while ago, without having to buy the TV card. you can prolly find one without too much trouble, by searching for "Remote Wonder." it doesn't have complete functionality without an ATI card + ATI programs, but then again ATI's multimedia programs suck anyway. the remote still has lots of potential even without every single button being usable... and there are plenty of unofficial software add-ons which improve the remote's usefulness with other companies' multimedia programs.

from ATI's Remote Wonder FAQ:

Q: Will the REMOTE WONDER™ work if I don't have an RADEON® or newer graphics board?

A: The REMOTE WONDER™ offers mouse and application control for all PCs (with a free USB port) regardless of what graphics are on-board your desktop or notebook PC.

Some of the buttons on the remote, such as TV and DVD, are exclusively used on ATI graphics board products

as far as i can tell, Nvidia.com doesn't say whether you must have a Nvidia graphics card to use a Nvidia remote. unless Nvidia have built a limitation into their drivers to keep you from using the remote without one of their graphics cards. i don't see any reason why it shouldn't work (in theory) with non-Nvidia cards-- they buy their remotes from the same manufacturer as ATI and they appear to be nearly identical to the ATI remotes. both of them are essentially very elaborate wireless mice, with a pad to move the cursor around, and a lot of buttons that can be programmed to send complicated commands to the PC.