PDA

View Full Version : DVD Not Playing

Samurai
12-30-2004, 04:42 PM
I recently purchased a DVD for my friend's daughter as a Christmas present, but it seems it won't play on her player (Sharp DV-S15). I thought it must be her player but it happens to play other DVD's fine, with no problem.

Thinking it was the DVD itself, I tested it out on my PC, personal DVD player (Toshiba SD340E) and my dad's player and each time it played perfectly.

Why won't her player recognise the DVD and play it? No errors come up, it just spins around inside.

Any ideas?

I can't even send it back as they'll test it and see it works fine :(

{I}{K}{E}
12-30-2004, 05:00 PM
is it a back-up ;) disk?

Some DVD players dont support DVD-r or DVD+r

Samurai
12-30-2004, 05:20 PM
is it a back-up ;) disk?

Some DVD players dont support DVD-r or DVD+r

No. Legit disk I purchased online. As I mentioned it works in every other player I've tried and her DVD player is still playing her other DVD's :blink:

Filliz
12-30-2004, 05:21 PM
is it a back-up ;) disk?
as a Christmas present? :ohmy:

:lol: That would be pretty cheap IYAM.

edit: Maybe it has something to do with region codes? :unsure:

{I}{K}{E}
12-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Maybe it has something to do with region codes? :unsure:

Thats also possible. check the DVD case, region code for England = 2

Samurai
12-30-2004, 05:35 PM
It's not the region codes, trust me. If I'm buying for myself, I can buy any region as my player would play anything I throw at it.

If I'm buying for someone else, I'll buy R2 (UK) so that I would have problems such as this. Her player is R2 only, in any case.

There's not even a firmware hack on the Internet for this player :(

{I}{K}{E}
12-30-2004, 05:49 PM
There's not even a firmware hack on the Internet for this player :(

try copying the disk 2 a DVD-RW and use Region free maybe then it will play.

Samurai
12-30-2004, 06:03 PM
That's a good idea, except the DVD is dual-layer, and I haven't purchased a dual-layer burner yet so I'd need to shrink the DVD. That's the last think I want to do as it's meant to be a present :( This has foxxed me good!

Samurai
12-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Ok I've had an idea.

I bought the same DVD for my sister :lol: so I've swapped the original for the other copy and hopefully, that'll fix it :fingerscrossed:

{I}{K}{E}
12-30-2004, 06:55 PM
That's a good idea, except the DVD is dual-layer, and I haven't purchased a dual-layer burner yet so I'd need to shrink the DVD. That's the last think I want to do as it's meant to be a present :( This has foxxed me good!

If you rip the extras/menu from it you wont see a difference ;)