PDA

View Full Version : Few Animals killed by tsunami

ZaZu
12-30-2004, 06:59 PM
YALA NATIONAL PARK, Sri Lanka (AP) - Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka expressed surprise Wednesday that they found no evidence of large-scale animal deaths from the tsunamis - indicating that animals may have sensed the wave coming and fled to higher ground.

An Associated Press photographer who flew over Sri Lanka's Yala National Park in an air force helicopter saw abundant wildlife, including elephants, buffalo, deer, and not a single animal corpse.

Floodwaters from Sunday's tsunami swept into the park, uprooting trees and toppling cars onto their roofs - one red car even ended up on top of a huge tree - but the animals apparently were not harmed and may have sought out high ground, said Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, whose Jetwing Eco Holidays ran a hotel in the park.

``This is very interesting. I am finding bodies of humans, but I have yet to see a dead animal,'' said Wijeyeratne, whose hotel in the park was destroyed.

``Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense,'' Wijeyeratne said.

Yala, Sri Lanka's largest wildlife reserve, is home to 200 Asian Elephants, crocodile, wild boar, water buffalo and gray langur monkeys. The park also has Asia's highest concentration of leopards. The Yala reserve covers 391 square miles, but only 56 square miles are open to tourists.

The human death toll in Sri Lanka surpassed 21,000. Forty foreigners were among 200 people in Yala who were killed.

Source (http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20041229%2F2056983220.htm)

Theres gonna need to be a study done to see if monitoring animals in some way can aide in predicting natural diasters...but given that they headed for the hills at the last moment probably limits their usefulness

Dr Spaulding
01-05-2005, 12:29 PM
just goes to show animals are selfish and we have every right to eat them

TheDave
01-05-2005, 01:23 PM
its cos animal corpses fade after thirty seconds so the matrix doesn't lose frames

cpt_azad
01-05-2005, 03:28 PM
wtf are u talking about dave? oh wait.........

Everose
01-05-2005, 03:45 PM
I lived in an area where a tornado hit one evening. Our family dog would not come out from behind the couch the whole day proceeding the tornado. Very unlike her.

Wait a minute........I am thinking the majority of these animals over there could have been female, right? :D

TheDave
01-05-2005, 03:47 PM
no. that would be stupid. unless they were all earthworms

Arm
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
just goes to show animals are selfish and we have every right to eat them
:lol: Post of the month.

Everose
01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
no. that would be stupid. unless they were all earthworms

:blink: Dang. You are right. I will adjust post. :P

TheDave
01-05-2005, 04:58 PM
unfortunately all the females died cos nothing was gonna make them leave that nest till they were ready to go out

Rat Faced
01-05-2005, 05:01 PM
And also because no one had taught them how to keep their mouths shut for more than a couple of seconds...

I'll get me coat.... :whistling

Everose
01-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Hey Now!!!! Will take more than a coat to protect you from these thorns!!!! :D

Dave, you be living a little bit dangerously, too!! :lol:

There is nothing wrong with surviving because they were smart enough to stay inside, and there is nothing wrong with expressing yourself........often. :01:
:lol:

vidcc
01-05-2005, 05:29 PM
it would be an interesting thing to observe if only the females were smart enough to survive and by fluke, just one male..... and that male just happened to have heard the words "not even if you were the last man on earth" many times before the disaster.

bujub22
01-05-2005, 07:19 PM
it would be an interesting thing to observe if only the females were smart enough to survive and by fluke, just one male..... and that male just happened to have heard the words "not even if you were the last man on earth" many times before the disaster.
:lol: :lol:

leezathehoneybird
01-06-2005, 03:27 PM
- The virbrations preceeding an earthquake affect the earths magnetic fields causing them to pulse.

- Animals can sense very small differences in the earths magnetic field, because they are sensitive and connected to nature in a way that we could be if we hadn't become 'tuned out'.

- They can 'taste' an earthquake before it happens and try to get as far away as possible.

- Animals are far more connected to the natural world than we are. Ask the natives of anywhere.

- Animals run from danger whilst humans lie on the beach soaking up the cancerous rays and waiting to be washed away........ who should be eating who :D

Rat Faced
01-06-2005, 03:34 PM
So, animals follow their hunches...