PDA

View Full Version : How long will bittorrent last

ConNitric
01-03-2005, 05:59 AM
I remember when napster was big. Then came Kazaa then bittorrent, and a bunch of smaller things in between. I am wondering when people think the next thing will come along, or is it already here?

Athlon64
01-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Nothing lasts forever but I hope BT will be around for at least another 3-5 years.

mikenmike0001
01-03-2005, 07:06 AM
yeah, those ****ers are going after loki now....

{I}{K}{E}
01-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Bittorrent will never be shut down because the program itself isnt illegal!!

Its the trackers that are shut down by the RIAA / MPAA

Athlon64
01-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Good point!

I stand corrected.

razorsharp013
01-03-2005, 10:53 AM

Its the trackers that are shut down by the RIAA / MPAA

Actually there is nothing wrong with the trackers either, or sharing files at all for hat matter. It's the sharing of copyrighted material on those trackers that is the problem.

HA! :P

Cheese
01-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Bittorrent is being used by a lot of companies to leggally get there stuff out there.

A lot of MMORPG's are using Bittorrent to get their games out (weighing in at 2gb each sometimes) and Linux also uses Bittorrent.

I think BT will be around for a long time as a cheap way of saving bandwidth for getting files distributed but as for the filesharing we all know and love I think it has had its moment and we will start to see a decline in sites and trackers offering copyrighted torrents.

Peerzy
01-03-2005, 11:01 AM

True but how long untill people see that public bittorent trackers and sites are baiting to the RIAA/MPAA how long untill theuser base starts moving away onto a better client or different way.

Bittorrent is being used by a lot of companies to leggally get there stuff out there.

A lot of MMORPG's are using Bittorrent to get their games out (weighing in at 2gb each sometimes) and Linux also uses Bittorrent.

I think BT will be around for a long time as a cheap way of saving bandwidth for getting files distributed but as for the filesharing we all know and love I think it has had its moment and we will start to see a decline in sites and trackers offering copyrighted torrents.

Iv never used BT to get a free legal thing such as MMORPG or some updates for a game (UT2004 had that pack of levels in a BT download) but i wonder if the speeds will be good. And the standard gamer who doesnt download illigally might not know about BT and how to work it so will search for a DDL.

Cheese
01-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Iv never used BT to get a free legal thing such as MMORPG or some updates for a game (UT2004 had that pack of levels in a BT download) but i wonder if the speeds will be good. And the standard gamer who doesnt download illigally might not know about BT and how to work it so will search for a DDL.

I downloaded Rhyzon at full speed on my connection the other day, the same when I grabbed Mandrake. Most gamers are pretty computer literate these days and even if they don't download illegally BT isn't that hard to pick up.

I am starting to see more BT options (along with direct links) for big files. People can still use direct links but I've started finding BT is the faster option in these cases.

Edit: And I'll tell you all this it's a lot better than using that fucking FilePlanet place. :dry:

Peerzy
01-03-2005, 11:38 AM
I downloaded Rhyzon at full speed on my connection the other day, the same when I grabbed Mandrake. Most gamers are pretty computer literate these days and even if they don't download illegally BT isn't that hard to pick up.

I am starting to see more BT options (along with direct links) for big files. People can still use direct links but I've started finding BT is the faster option in these cases.

Edit: And I'll tell you all this it's a lot better than using that fucking FilePlanet place. :dry:

Iv always just grabbed the DDL in thinking that msot people wouldnt understand seeding and such so speeds would be poor. Next time i need a patch or some levels and such i'll give the BT link a go and compare speeds. Filelist sucks, ques and they cap you at 200kb/s :(

ConNitric
01-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Speaking of shut down trackers, how safe are overseas trackers?
I was just reading the pirate bay ownage thread and it seems like you can't touch servers in Sweeden

linda29
01-08-2005, 04:48 PM
I think bit torrent is still the best, i really miss suprnova.org, but one im using right now comes a close second for me.;o)
www.torrentspy.com :D :D

orcutt989
01-08-2005, 05:18 PM
How long will bittorrent last

Forever.

Hazardous
01-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Hopefully longer then Napster did, which it already has I think

linda29
01-09-2005, 01:13 AM
I hope BT lasts, i loved suprnova.org, now thats gone i use www.torrentspy.com I get all the files i need off there and although maybe not as good second best to suprnova.

ConNitric
01-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Supernova was good because you could find anything you wanted on there, but damn it had a lot of leeches

sArA
01-09-2005, 11:20 PM
I think the future of filesharing is in the hands of people who think things up...as one is stopped, another way around the system will be found by someone. The only real way to stop filesharing of copyrighted files is to find a un-copyable encrypted system, oh...and to tighten the security of movies to prevent pre-releases and screener releases....

No available files equals no filesharing....but that day is a long way off :)

twister
01-10-2005, 06:55 PM
pirating on IRC (mIRC) has been going on for ever, but usually the bots are slow.