PDA

View Full Version : Please leave this here, Rat...

j2k4
01-04-2005, 12:04 AM
I am wondering what variety of opinion exists here as to what is gained, individually and collectively, by our continuing engagement in what I will call issue-speak.

We extend ourselves rather strenuously in the name and cause of what we believe.

Why?

What's in it for us, or anyone else?

Point of interest, that is all.

I ask this thread be left here, as it would appear irrelevant in The Lounge. :)

Rat Faced
01-04-2005, 12:21 AM
I see no reason to move it, so im not sure why you specifically ask me to let it stay.

It appears to me, to be a very relavant subject for serious discussion.

For me, i get wound up by injustice.

Admittedly, my perception of injustice may not agree with other peoples, however if i see it.. i stand up and shout.

Whether that is something major like Iraq or minor such as election fraud in the USA (which this time around probably would have made little difference, except Bush is the anti-christ, or as close to it as makes no difference in my opinion :P ) makes little difference.

Politically, i have to admit that i sometimes play devils advocate on here, as im sure you are aware. On some issues i class myself as "left" and on some "right".. however most of these will be the "Left" in your own perception.

More than once, my opinion has been changed by the debates in here too... or at least i have gained some understanding to beliefs that i personally have found extremely distasteful. That in itself, must make the whole business worthwhile.

Paul

j2k4
01-04-2005, 01:07 AM
I see no reason to move it, so im not sure why you specifically ask me to let it stay.

It appears to me, to be a very relavant subject for serious discussion.

...i sometimes play devils advocate...

Ah, yes...my point. :D

Everose
01-04-2005, 02:16 AM
I love to read the debates. You can see by my join date and my posts I don't post a lot.

I have had to face the fact that my one sore point is the using of generalities. And it even irritates me more that I have a bad habit of using them myself, ... ... ... mainly when speaking (bashing) of the male gender. Sorry. Old baggage. :blushing:

hobbes
01-04-2005, 03:15 AM
More than once, my opinion has been changed by the debates in here too... or at least i have gained some understanding to beliefs that i personally have found extremely distasteful. That in itself, must make the whole business worthwhile.

Paul

Word.

I am not agenda bound. I like to hear from other people and their views. My best possible reaction to a thread would be: "Wow, I never thought of it that way".

Alas, the forum has dwindled to the point where I know what each person is going to post.

I miss the days of a wide open international forum.

Cheese
01-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Come here you've got my tankard!

TheDave
01-04-2005, 11:12 AM
I am wondering what variety of opinion exists here as to what is gained, individually and collectively, by our continuing engagement in what I will call issue-speak.

We extend ourselves rather strenuously in the name and cause of what we believe.

Why?

Point of interest, that is all.

I ask this thread be left here, as it would appear irrelevant in The Lounge. :)

its fun to see you get pwn3d regularly :1eye:

clocker
01-04-2005, 01:18 PM
its fun to see you get pwn3d regularly :1eye:
You must be reading a different forum.

TheDave
01-04-2005, 02:08 PM
You must be reading a different forum.

maybe i dont read it.
maybe i'm an anti-bush fanboy who hears what he wants to hear :shifty:

TheDave
01-04-2005, 06:08 PM
:unsure:

Biggles
01-04-2005, 07:45 PM
I enjoy putting what I understand to be so to the test.

:ermm: Although there might be a touch of vanity in it all. :blushing:

Ecclesiastes ch1v2

Rat Faced
01-04-2005, 09:11 PM
No l337 isnt chav....

Or a lot of people in the lounge are going to be embaressed :whistling

Biggles
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Les,

You can do l337 talk.

Is that "chav".

My secret is out. :blink:

Number 1 son explained l337 to me (although I had to chew one of my legs off to stay awake through the Byzantine maze that is l337 history)

clocker
01-04-2005, 09:46 PM
Welcome, Stumpy.

How is your friend Ren?

Biggles
01-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Welcome, Stumpy.

How is your friend Ren?

Full of Happy Happy Joy Joy

:shifty:

3RA1N1AC
01-05-2005, 06:01 AM
well. if we really consider your question, it does seem like this is all just arguing in circles. an exercise in futility. but i think there's something positive in the mere act of getting on the 'net and blowing off steam, in jogging a few laps around the intellectual/conversational track, in verbal sparring in a moderated setting. there's prolly a therapeutic value to it. some people relieve their tension through physical exercise or yoga or meditation or whatever, some like to watch action movies or football or pro wrestling for a bit of vicarious aggression, and some like to come here and rant.

anyway. i doubt that's the kind of answer you're looking for, but it's an angle that i think is worth considering: that engaging in argument/debate is just normal and healthy for the average person. although sometimes we do see people on the 'net displaying unhealthy behavior in arguments, i suppose... :P

spinningfreemanny
01-05-2005, 07:12 AM
I love it.

Such discussions makes me ask myself what I believe and why.

no matter what subject is discussed, the exercise of coherently explaining positions here makes me more confident in myself.

Too few young people have no idea on why they believe what they believe. listen to the "man on the street" interviews on the Sean Hannity show. I don't wanna be one of those guys.

j2k4
01-05-2005, 08:42 PM
well. if we really consider your question, it does seem like this is all just arguing in circles. an exercise in futility. but i think there's something positive in the mere act of getting on the 'net and blowing off steam, in jogging a few laps around the intellectual/conversational track, in verbal sparring in a moderated setting. there's prolly a therapeutic value to it. some people relieve their tension through physical exercise or yoga or meditation or whatever, some like to watch action movies or football or pro wrestling for a bit of vicarious aggression, and some like to come here and rant.

anyway. i doubt that's the kind of answer you're looking for, but it's an angle that i think is worth considering: that engaging in argument/debate is just normal and healthy for the average person. although sometimes we do see people on the 'net displaying unhealthy behavior in arguments, i suppose... :P

Happy New Year, 3RA1N1AC.

Contrary to your belief, I accept your answer as totally proper; you have described very incisively one of the reasons I am here, but just one.

It also helps one to learn how to do it.

Happy New Year to you, too, Manny. :)

j2k4
01-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Indeed, I think I said that. However my point was presented betterly.

But not simplerly.