PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS

Rip The Jacker
01-06-2005, 04:40 AM
I was just wondering... am I the only guy who thinks the 2nd screen on the DS is completely useless? I mean, what the hell, 80% of the games DS has uses the 2nd screen to display a stupid map. You'd rather make a bigger handheld, and pay more for a 2nd screen, rather than press Start to see a stupid map? Lets look at some of the games:

Super Mario DS: The 2nd screen is a map.
Castlevania: The 2nd screen is a map.
Mario Kart DS: The 2nd screen is a map.
Frogger: The 2nd screen shows your status (score, time, etc).
Animal Crossing: The 2nd screen shows your status.
Super Princess Peach: The 2nd screen shows cute animations of the princess.

Here is an idea. Make a new handheld with N64 graphics, but with only 1 screen! It can be a touch screen if you want... You know, that way the DS can actually fit in your pocket, and won't cost as much. It does make very little difference. What? Are the gamers too lazy to press Start to see their map?

Am I the only guy who thinks the 2nd screen is useless? I think I'll take the PSP over the DS, thank you.

colt45joe
01-06-2005, 04:54 AM
it also kind of acts like a joystick for some of those games, except its flat.

i thought it was a stupid idea also, but i spend some time with it annd i enjoy it thouroughly.

Monkeee
01-06-2005, 05:15 AM
thats why the PSP will pwn the DS

ofbz
01-06-2005, 06:10 AM
hmm... i smell a "wich is better: psp or DS" thread....

lol...

Rip The Jacker
01-06-2005, 08:18 AM
hmm... i smell a "wich is better: psp or DS" thread....

lol...
:P

I'm not trying to start a PSP vs. DS thread, I just thought I'd get that out. I mean, I find the 2nd screen so useless, even when it acts like a joystick, its more annoying than useful. I played the Metriod Demo that comes with the DS, turning around with the 2nd screen was a pain in the ass.

3RA1N1AC
01-06-2005, 09:04 AM
I was just wondering... am I the only guy who thinks the 2nd screen on the DS is completely useless? I mean, what the hell, 80% of the games DS has uses the 2nd screen to display a stupid map.
that's not a problem with the hardware, that's a problem with unimaginative game designers making crappy launch titles. the second screen has potential and the game designers just haven't used it.

if you want to see a DS launch title that makes use of the second screen, try Sega's Feel The Magic: XY/XX.

TheDave
01-06-2005, 09:31 AM
the touchscreen is pretty good but i wish i could hide the top-one sometimes cos gba games make it look broken

suprafreak6
01-27-2006, 09:55 PM
hahahhah yeah i feel your pain