PDA

View Full Version : Skype 1.1 released

{I}{K}{E}
01-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Skype, announced version 1.1 of its Internet telephony service, adding new design and improved instant messaging features to put it better placed compared with other messaging rivals such as MSN Messenger.

While Skype has always been superior to its main rivals in terms of voice quality, critics pointed to its rather spartan instant messaging functions. The latest version indeed puts its wealthy rivals to shame with its smart clear interface and total absence of any advertising. Other benefits over other voice chat, instant messaging and file transfer programmes are the Skype encryption, which keeps all communications private and immune to hacking.

In addition to these features, the new version 1.1 for Windows now gives Skype users the ability to start chat rooms of up to 50 people. Other new features include improved contact list management and smarter look, with avatars alongside highlighted contacts and alerts that help users to monitor when their contacts come online.

Skype has also begun to experiment with a voicemail service, hoping to introduce new paid offerings such as offering incoming calls from landlines to capitalise on its success.

Skype is already growing faster than Hotmail at its zenith, with 20.2 million registered users and around 100000 new users signing up daily.

Changelog:
http://www.skype.com/products/skype/windows/changelog.html

http://www.skype.com/

Virtualbody1234
01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for pointing it out. Downloaded and updated. :)

browser
01-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Can anyone please clarify. If I update, I will still have all my contacts, yes?

NikkiD
01-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks IKE :)

Great little package, audio is as clear as the telephone most times. :)

{I}{K}{E}
01-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks IKE :)

Great little package, audio is as clear as the telephone most times. :)

they say the audio is even beter then a normal telephone

Samurai
01-06-2005, 06:06 PM

Virtualbody1234
01-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Can anyone please clarify. If I update, I will still have all my contacts, yes?
Yes, you'll still have your contacts. I just installed the new version on top of the old. No uninstall. Worked like a charm.

Samurai
01-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Yes, you'll still have your contacts. I just installed the new version on top of the old. No uninstall. Worked like a charm.

Yeah the program's pretty basic although not in the sense that it's dull or boring. Far from it. I just mean I think only the executable has been updated. I may be wrong though as I haven't installed it yet :)

iMartin
01-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Better use it while it's free of cost, and free of spyware. :dry:

NikkiD
01-07-2005, 04:38 AM
I think the only thing they charge for is calling land lines - the pc to pc calls are going to remain free, unless that has changed?