PDA

View Full Version : microsoft spyware remover

4play
01-06-2005, 04:41 PM
microsoft have just released the first beta of their spyware remover.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en&Hash=5BMW635

meant to be pretty buggy. apprently microsoft are starting to include pay subscribtion for updates. :ohmy:

Money Fist
01-06-2005, 05:05 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en&Hash=5BMW635

meant to be pretty buggy. apprently microsoft are starting to include pay subscribtion for updates. :ohmy:

bollox to that
i aint payin for that shit!!

its there fault windows software has a flaw that allows spyware

johannes001
01-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Theres an idea , Microsoft pays us for putting up with their shit!! compensation !!!! :)

Smurfette
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
its there fault windows software has a flaw that allows spyware
Spyware is most often installed by people not reading license agreements or blindly clicking 'yes' to activx prompts for installs called YOU_MUST_INSTALL_THIS_TO_DOWNLOAD_YOUR_PR0N so it's not always the fault of security flaws.
The majority of spyware/malware infestations that I clear up are the fault of the users and nothing to do with the OS... Messenger Plus! is always a great money maker for me, and it fucking warns users about the shit it carries then asks if they want to install with or without it!

zapjb
01-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Just installed the beta. Seems fine. Same results (after a scan) as before.

100%
01-06-2005, 11:14 PM
I Spy with my little eye something begining with $

tesco
01-06-2005, 11:17 PM
by the time it's out of beta this will be in the low end of good spyware removers, imo.

zapjb
01-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Oh well I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Maybe just maybe it'll still be OK. And maybe I'll still be able to use it for free. After all I've been told I wear an eyepatch on the net. Heh heh.

tesco
01-06-2005, 11:36 PM
I just tried it.
It's actualoly not that bad. :)
It picks up any threats then tell you what they are, where they're located, etc.
You can click a little icon beside the spyware name and it tells you about the spyware.
It does a good job removing them as well.

And it has a built in tool kind of like "hijackthis!" too.

KUALKIERA
01-07-2005, 12:48 AM
I Spy with my little eye something begining with $

Lots of them..............

peat moss
01-07-2005, 01:28 AM
I'll stay with Giant till the subscription runs out , or the cracks what ever comes first. :lol:

@Rossco Does it look, work like Giant ? I read this so......

Note to Users of Giant AntiSpyware:
Current Giant AntiSpyware users with active subscriptions are advised to continue to use their existing software. Click here for more information.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/currentcustomers.mspx

fkdup74
01-07-2005, 01:36 AM
@Rossco Does it look, work like Giant ? I read this so......

Note to Users of Giant AntiSpyware:
Current Giant AntiSpyware users with active subscriptions are advised to continue to use their existing software. Click here for more information.

was about to ask that myself :P
Giant carries a fairly decent reputation...
so did M$ just rip them off? :P

-edit- ahhh...just went to that link peat posted
looks like M$ bought em out or somethin?
but i dont see anywhere it says that you will have to pay for the M$ version...
enlighten me :P

peat moss
01-07-2005, 01:38 AM
was about to ask that myself :P
Giant carries a fairly decent reputation...
so did M$ just rip them off? :P

Ya shit, I'm curious too ! But don't want to unistall Giant . :D

Expire
01-07-2005, 01:38 AM
why dont they spent there time preventing us poor fuckes not to get the shit in the first place...all i have to say to mS...is a big FUCK YOU!!!

fkdup74
01-07-2005, 01:41 AM
why dont they spent there time preventing us poor fuckes not to get the shit in the first place...all i have to say to mS...is a big FUCK YOU!!!

hmmm....now dont get me wrong....not defending M$, but....
you should go back a page or so and read smurfette's post ;)

and yeah M$ bought em out
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1743087,00.asp?kc=EWNKT0209KTX1K0100440
and its gonna be free for windows according to that article
fuck this might not be a bad idea :lol:
i mean at least they went and got one of the best apps
(even though some of the features are gonna disappear)

peat moss
01-07-2005, 01:47 AM

You know if Microshit bundled this program in their O/S or offered it free I would be impressed. I mean fuk it's not like they could n't use the PR . :whistling

Expire
01-07-2005, 01:48 AM
hmmm....now dont get me wrong....not defending M$, but....
you should go back a page or so and read smurfette's post ;)

lol, i did read it and i dont click yes on nothing that may be risky...but ive still had it a few times.

but hey, maybe it will be good for the people who use the MS firewall :)

4play
01-07-2005, 01:50 AM
If microsoft included this program in their os or did not charge for it they would be torn apart for anti competitive behaviour.
seems a little harsh really since this is really needed to protect users from themselves.

fkdup74
01-07-2005, 01:50 AM
lol, i did read it and i dont click yes on nothing that may be risky...but ive still had it a few times.

firewalls dont do shit for spyware ;)

and read up peat! i edited my post
link to an article, says its gonna be free
and i didnt see anything on the M$ site that says you gotta pay :blink:

tesco
01-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Ya Giant works and looks exactly as the Giant one did.

I think the microsoft one will need paying when it goes final but it's not yet.

fkdup74
01-07-2005, 01:55 AM
blah.....
will someone plz link or quote where it says its a paid subscription....
i cant find it....

Chewie
01-07-2005, 01:56 AM

I see that since you posted your first comment in this thread, you've found what passes for a brain at your residence.

Expire
01-07-2005, 01:56 AM

confused...did i say firewalls DID do owt for spyware???

tesco
01-07-2005, 01:57 AM
Couple screenshots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/rossco_2004/msantispy_loading.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/rossco_2004/msantispy_loaded.png

:)

peat moss
01-07-2005, 01:58 AM

Read up? Link: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=87960

fkdup74
01-07-2005, 02:02 AM
confused...did i say firewalls DID do owt for spyware???
well unless i misinterpreted it and you meant it as a knock on M$ firewall users in general...
but thats not really a good comparison then....
cuz yes....M$ firewall is shit, but....
giant anti-spyware was not, and this is basically gonna be a scaled down giant
so it should be good, and ive seen at least one post that says its not bad
think that was rossco posted that....

anyway....WHERE THE HELL DOES IT SAY YOU GOTTA PAY?!?!?!? :P

peat moss
01-07-2005, 02:02 AM
well unless i misinterpreted it and you meant it as a knock on M$ firewall users in general...

Quote : Many have asked about licensing and pricing. Previously, Giant AntiSpyware had been made available to customers for a yearly subscription fee, and my expectation is that Microsoft will continue using that model. However, that isn't, in my opinion, what the company should do. Instead, I'd like to see Microsoft offer Giant AntiSpyware free to all Windows users, as a benefit of using their OS. Frankly, it is the architectural problems in Windows that lets spyware and other malicious malware infect users' systems, and Microsoft should fix that problem for free. For now, the software giant says it hasn't yet decided on licensing and pricing.

fkdup74
01-07-2005, 02:06 AM
Quote : Many have asked about licensing and pricing. Previously, Giant AntiSpyware had been made available to customers for a yearly subscription fee, and my expectation is that Microsoft will continue using that model. However, that isn't, in my opinion, what the company should do. Instead, I'd like to see Microsoft offer Giant AntiSpyware free to all Windows users, as a benefit of using their OS. Frankly, it is the architectural problems in Windows that lets spyware and other malicious malware infect users' systems, and Microsoft should fix that problem for free. For now, the software giant says it hasn't yet decided on licensing and pricing.

:lol: yeah i just got to that link :P
but thats pauls theory :P
no what i meant when i said read up was to my post....
theres a link to an article that says it gonna be a free windows tool

Expire
01-07-2005, 02:09 AM

u got me :)

yeah it might be a bad example but are people really gonna use this, i just cant c it

tesco
01-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Quote : (...)Frankly, it is the architectural problems in Windows that lets spyware and other malicious malware infect users' systems, and Microsoft should fix that problem for free. (...)
Unless that was their plan from the start. :shifty:

peat moss
01-07-2005, 02:11 AM
@FKDUP74 , I think were splitting hairs here. No firm decesion on pricing yet.Like any of us here on this forum would pay for a fucking program anyway! :lol:

fkdup74
01-07-2005, 02:12 AM
u got me :)

yeah it might be a bad example but are people really gonna use this, i just cant c it

were it a M$ developed app, i would agree :lol:
but they are acquiring an app with a heavy reputation...
so unless they fk it up.....it should still be pretty good

Like any of us here on this forum would pay for a fucking program anyway!

:lol:

Expire
01-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Unless that was their plan from the start. :shifty:

more $$$$$$$ for good old MS

iMartin
01-07-2005, 02:14 AM
I'll just stick with my "proudly" pirated SpySweeper.

Expire
01-07-2005, 02:15 AM
@FKDUP74 , I think were splitting hairs here. No firm decesion on pricing yet.Like any of us here on this forum would pay for a fucking program anyway! :lol:

couldent of said it any better myself lol

4play
01-07-2005, 02:27 AM
1) build crappy os with lots of wholes
2) buy anti-virus, spyware cleaning apps
3) charge for subscribtion
4) profit

http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/index.php/archives/2005/01/06/microsoft-anitspyware-first-impression/
people cant seem to fugure out if m$ is gonna charge for this yet. hopefully it will remain free.

muchspl2
01-07-2005, 02:36 AM
I don't truest it, too little too late.
they wouldn't need a program like this if they would fix windows in the first place.

peat moss
01-07-2005, 02:40 AM
@4play I love this quote !

Still, the most important thing is that it protects your computer. I feel pretty secure with it (as long as it runs), but then again, that proves nothing. My suggestion / plan? Stop using any other antispyware programs for two weeks, making sure Microsoft AntiSpyware is active the whole time. Then, run your regular programs. If they find anything MS-AS missed, keep ‘em. Otherwise, we’ve got a new front-runner on our hands. One thing you can rely on: The internet hates Microsoft when it comes to security, so if there is a major threat that Microsoft AntiSpyware doesn’t detect, it’ll be on Slashdot within 20 minutes.

4play
01-07-2005, 02:53 AM
slashdot news for nerds. stuff that matters, unless its pro windows

I can only ever remember reading one pro windows story on slashdot in the past 6 months and that was a write up by the team behind xp sp2. so if there is any wholes in this you can pretty much guarantee /. will know about it.

zapjb
01-07-2005, 04:08 AM
I like this app. I threw both spysweeper & pestpatrol off my puter. Imo they stink & f'd up my sys. I'll keep M$/Giant it works. Those other 2 are sh*t (imo again).

100%
01-07-2005, 01:37 PM
http://media.big-boys.com/files01/bbpics/pic0363.jpg

jrzofclay
01-08-2005, 02:40 AM
delete

Izagaia
01-08-2005, 03:31 AM
Spyware is most often installed by people not reading license agreements or blindly clicking 'yes' to activx prompts for installs called YOU_MUST_INSTALL_THIS_TO_DOWNLOAD_YOUR_PR0N so it's not always the fault of security flaws.
The majority of spyware/malware infestations that I clear up are the fault of the users and nothing to do with the OS... Messenger Plus! is always a great money maker for me, and it fucking warns users about the shit it carries then asks if they want to install with or without it!

The lady has a valid point.

I cannot recall the sheer number of times that users at ThemeXP who would download their wrapped .exe files, then blindly run the applications without reading the agreements, unchecking the appropriate boxes, etc... just to get at the visual theme/screensaver/wallpaper file inside. Then blaming ThemeXP (who is not responsible for wrapping the file in the first place) when the wrapped .exe installs three to five known spyware applications that literally cripples their system.

Mind you, that reading a few of the forum posts or paying attention to what they were clicking "OK" to would have alleviated their woes on the spot. And they would have ended up with a clean download to boot.

baccyman
01-08-2005, 03:34 PM
i think this is the giant anti spyware renamed by microsoft

peat moss
01-08-2005, 07:30 PM
i think this is the giant anti spyware renamed by microsoft

Found this quote: Kaplan said the free version of Microsoft's new spyware-removal software will expire July 31 and pricing for future versions is still undecided. Rival anti-spyware tools, such as Lavasoft Inc.'s popular Ad-Aware product, offer similar functions to Microsoft's, and many are free.

Oh give me a break ! :rolleyes:

4play
01-08-2005, 08:01 PM
flexbeta.net (http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=84) compares Microsoft's new spyware fighting tool, Windows AntiSpyware, to Ad-Aware and SpyBot S&D; the two leading spyware tools on the market today. The review sets up an infected PC using VMWare Workstation and scans the machine using all three tools to see which tool detects the most spyware. Though still in beta, Microsoft AntiSpyware does an amazing job at detecting spyware by finding twice as many infected files as Ad-Aware and nearly three times as SpyBot.

source (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/01/08/196234&tid=172&tid=201&tid=218)

peat moss
01-08-2005, 08:05 PM
@4play Good find , didn't you mention slashdot earlier ? :D

baccyman
01-08-2005, 08:34 PM
that is because what microsoft bought was a good product to start with

Snee
01-08-2005, 08:36 PM

Is it really meant to be buggy, have they said that? :nuke:

'co that would be the most honest ever they have been

4play
01-08-2005, 11:41 PM
no microsoft would never admit to it being buggy. i read it on a few sites reporting about it but it seems to be untrue as everyone i talked to seems to like it.

peat moss
01-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Why no uninstaller I wonder? I realize it's Beta but still . Another idea, I would n't run that valitation tool from microsoft . Download from here instead .

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Microsoft-Anti-Spyware-Beta/3000-8022_4-10353596.html?tag=tid_s

tesco
01-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Why no uninstaller I wonder? I realize it's Beta but still . Another idea, I would n't run that valitation tool from microsoft . Download from here instead .

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Microsoft-Anti-Spyware-Beta/3000-8022_4-10353596.html?tag=tid_s
It does have an uninstaller... :huh: