PDA

View Full Version : Why is my internet so slow...

silent h3ro
01-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Why is my internet so slow lately? Right after I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro I installed my Wireless Connection drivers and tried the internet out and it was slow as feck. MSN homepage took like 15 secs to load while FST took like 30 secs and when I tryed to dl shit like aim I get a top speed of 3 KB/s WTF! Even when I dled my COD patch I got only a top speed of probably 15 KB/s. WTF. I have Comcast Cable Internet and I share my connection but its never been this bad. Also I am connected to our home network wirelessly but still it was never even close to this bad. Before I got upwards 200KB/s easily dling AIM and such other programs. Whats wrong? :helpsmili

Spam-King
01-06-2005, 09:29 PM
firewall???
spyware?
virus??

Samurai
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
cause you touch yourself at night

silent h3ro
01-06-2005, 11:13 PM
cause you touch yourself at nighttee hee :dry:
@ Spam King- I just installed XP so I don't think I could have gotten any of those so quickly but I guess I'll have get some anti-v and spware programs and scan my computer and see if that helps. Thx.

Rick Phlegm
01-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Have you tried turning off XP's built in firewall for your connection?

muchspl2
01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
check your single strength, is it slow with it directly connected to the modem
most like a weak single

tesco
01-06-2005, 11:45 PM
what about the other computer? is it getting that shitty speed or is it normal?
if both are shite then try plugging the modem directly into the computer.

silent h3ro
01-07-2005, 12:08 AM
check your single strength, is it slow with it directly connected to the modem
most like a weak single My signal strength is the hightest it can get (Excelent) and it seems to be sending and recieving like normal. I set up my IP address, Gateway, DNS Servers, ect. correctly for our home network too. Everything is running normal yet its still slow. :huh: Thx for the help though, muchspl2.

@ rossco_2004- Yea, both computers are running shitty on the connection and they are both set up correctly. I can't directly connect the modem to the computer because I dont have a RJ45 jack in either room.

@Rick Phlegm- Yea, my Windows XP Firewall is off.

tesco
01-07-2005, 12:20 AM
My signal strength is the hightest it can get (Excelent) and it seems to be sending and recieving like normal. I set up my IP address, Gateway, DNS Servers, ect. correctly for our home network too. Everything is running normal yet its still slow. :huh: Thx for the help though, muchspl2.

@ rossco_2004- Yea, both computers are running shitty on the connection and they are both set up correctly. I can't directly connect the modem to the computer because I dont have a RJ45 jack in either room.

@Rick Phlegm- Yea, my Windows XP Firewall is off.
well, does transferring files from one computer to the other go slow as well?
if not then it's a problem with your modem or ISP.
try calling them, reset mode, reset router, etc.

silent h3ro
01-07-2005, 09:20 PM
You guys won't believe this but I did a bandwith test and here are my results: ( I dident photoshop this I sware. :ohmy: )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Gam3Guy/internetspeed.jpg

Peerzy
01-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Those tests are bullshit unless you pause all downloads/uploads and open programs (stuff in your task bar and everything)

silent h3ro
01-07-2005, 09:49 PM
Those tests are bullshit unless you pause all downloads/uploads and open programs (stuff in your task bar and everything) No d00d they arent and I did close all that shit. I used to beat T3, yes I said T3. :dry: Now I can't even beat the slowest dial up out there. It can be that much bs to put me under dial up even if I was running shit, I'm on Comcast CABLE internet. :ermm:

silent h3ro
01-07-2005, 09:52 PM
And btw u have no idea what I'm talkin g about till u actually use my internet. Lately it is worse than dial-up. FST takes a good 5 mins to load a page. Those tests arent bs. :(

SingaBoiy
01-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Those tests are bullshit unless you pause all downloads/uploads and open programs (stuff in your task bar and everything)
Yes, they are less accurate when you are downloading/uploading.

1. Firewall, spyware, adware.
2. Start > Run > type in cmd and hit enter. Type in "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew".
3. If still not working, reset your cable modem and router (unplug power to both then plug back in).
4. Call you ISP.

HailAntonLaVey
01-08-2005, 01:17 AM
tis alittle something we call "LAG".Lag is a decrease in bandwith due high server traffic or poor connection.It happens to everyone at any time,no matter if youre on a T-based line or 56k we all get it.Try cleaning out your cache and power cycling your modem out,followed by a restart.Then try it.Tell then adieu

Formula1
01-08-2005, 02:04 AM
Why is my internet so slow lately? Right after I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro I installed my Wireless Connection drivers and tried the internet out and it was slow as feck. MSN homepage took like 15 secs to load while FST took like 30 secs and when I tryed to dl shit like aim I get a top speed of 3 KB/s WTF! Even when I dled my COD patch I got only a top speed of probably 15 KB/s. WTF. I have Comcast Cable Internet and I share my connection but its never been this bad. Also I am connected to our home network wirelessly but still it was never even close to this bad. Before I got upwards 200KB/s easily dling AIM and such other programs. Whats wrong? :helpsmili

This is why i always stick with the Cables :sick: . I've had experiences with wireless cards , these things would just disconnect from the internet after like 15 mins... Wired once didn't...

silent h3ro
01-10-2005, 03:41 AM
No wirless internet is fine. About same speeds as wired. Btw I got my problem fixed - I just had to reset the router.

h121589
01-10-2005, 05:02 AM
You guys won't believe this but I did a bandwith test and here are my results: ( I dident photoshop this I sware. :ohmy: )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Gam3Guy/internetspeed.jpg
101z d00dz :D :P

tesco
01-10-2005, 01:23 PM
I said to do that on the 9th post. :P