PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo owner Hiroshi Yamaushi owns MS CEO!

Formula1
01-06-2005, 09:21 PM
I honestly found this kind of funny, not that i hate Xbox..

http://www.theinq.net/?article=20547

Balls in the other court

By Nick Farrell: Thursday 06 January 2005, 09:10
Tyan Tomcat i7221 Server board
NOW HE IS safely retired, the 77-year old former Nintendo boss Hiroshi Yamaushi is regaling Wired magazine about how he reverted to abuse to silence the mighty Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

Apparently Microsoft was making a bid to buy Nintendo for absolutely huge amounts of money. Vole was confident that Nintendo would take it. The Game Cube wasn't doing particularly well at the time and there was a lot of money involved. Ballmer himself showed up at the negotiations to have a quiet word.

However Yamaushi didn't like the deal, which he saw as a loss on a level similar to World War Two. He said he ranted a bit about Japanese values and identity but it went no-where. So in the end he said in Japanese "suck my yellow balls Mr Ballmer".

The translator looked embarrassed and was clearly not translating the phrase exactly, although Ballmer did smile at a sentence that included the word 'yellow' in it.

Frustrated Yamaushi stood on a chair, put his hands around his mouth and very slowly and in English said: "Hey Ballmer why don't you suck my tiny yellow balls."

He said Ballmer and team were speechless. They were as scandalised as if he had shown them a nipple at the Superbowl, he said.

It is nice to know that high powered board room meetings involving billions of dollars use the same language and methodology of a Kave piss-up. A copy of the interview can be found here but is probably illegal so you should buy a copy of the February issue of Wired.

Smith
01-06-2005, 09:30 PM
lmao, good one.

fight the power!

TheDave
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
right :wacko:

TheDave
01-06-2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.gamerah.com/noticias.php?bias=180#180

jebus cripes this guy is nuts!! :lol: :glag: :lol:

TheDave
01-06-2005, 10:05 PM
1, http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?game_id=&article_id=6989
2, http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000977025769/
3, http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000293025999/

news spreads fast but it could still be fake :ermm:

mike45450
01-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Ah damn, it's a fake? I was really getting into the article too...oh well, might aswell finish reading it

It'd be cool if it was true :P

colt45joe
01-07-2005, 01:53 AM
i hope its true, this guy is awesome as displayed in this article:

http://www.gamerah.com/noticias.php?bias=180#180

funny quote from him
"He designed Kirby , and even if it now looks outdated and, lets be honest, homosexual, it still is a popular character...."

"If it wasnt for me Nintendo would still be in the Card Making Business. High Quality Cards mind you, superior to the western ones just like every japanese product is superior to its western equivalent."

and he says a bunch of other cool stuff.

this guy is awesome.

edit: wow..this guy is..just..wow...i really like nintendo now...so hopefully it is true

iMartin
01-07-2005, 02:07 AM
I'd have to say this is all fake, but it'd be hella awesome if it were true.

ofbz
01-07-2005, 11:25 AM
ha!!!

reminded me of:

Eric: Why don't you suck my balls Mr. Garrison.
Mr. Garrison: What did you say Eric?!
Eric: oh...oh... i'm sorry... what i wanted to say was... (takes out megaphone): WHY DON'T YOU SUCK MY BALLS, Mr. Garrison...

nsane
01-07-2005, 03:08 PM
lol @ ofbz

but on a serious not. EVERYTHING he said was true, Sony & M$ are greedy pigs, nothing else. this is why i've been a long time nintendo supporter, they have values. sony & M$ are just hell bent on "better graphics, sucky games with no story, and more money", same bullshit different day & game :rolleyes:

and the part about the PSP had a good point, loading screens suck, especially when it comes to hand helds :\

TheDave
01-07-2005, 05:03 PM
it was faked by a guy with an agenda. but the pokemon reference... :whistling

Busyman
01-07-2005, 06:27 PM
lol @ ofbz

but on a serious not. EVERYTHING he said was true, Sony & M$ are greedy pigs, nothing else. this is why i've been a long time nintendo supporter, they have values. sony & M$ are just hell bent on "better graphics, sucky games with no story, and more money", same bullshit different day & game :rolleyes:

and the part about the PSP had a good point, loading screens suck, especially when it comes to hand helds :\
Uh yeah....that's why you are a Nintendo supporter? :lol: :lol:

I don't care how greedy they are. If they have good games, I'm playin 'em.

PS2 has more good games than the GC and that's indisputable.

I support that.

TheDave
01-10-2005, 12:32 AM
i dispute it. gc definatly has a better good game:bad game ratio than xbox, ps2 or pc.

nintendo are perfectionists and take that Pride thing a lot further than anyone else

killer04
01-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Well i find that the GBA has lots of good games especially the RPG's etc...

Busyman
01-10-2005, 03:23 PM
i dispute it. gc definatly has a better good game:bad game ratio than xbox, ps2 or pc.

nintendo are perfectionists and take that Pride thing a lot further than anyone else
The GC's good games are almost all made by Nintendo and then there's the Resident Evil games.

What's that.....15 games maybe? :huh:

Wind Waker
Ocarina Of Time
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime Echoes
Super Mario Sunshine
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Star Wars Rogue Squadron

keep going......that's 10

PS2

Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank Going Commando
Ratchet & Clank Up Your Arsenal
Jak & Daxter
Jak II
Jak III
Sly Cooper
Sly Cooper 2
Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 4

I can easily keep going for a whole page of this thread, as anyone else could and that's only 13. :dry:

btw Who cares about the good:bad game ratio? It proves nothing.

Ya buy the games that are good. :blink:

TheDave
01-10-2005, 03:37 PM
for a start i said ratio

gc was first with viewtiful joe
we got good weird games too like doshin the giant (even though its an n64 port) and animal crossing. 1080 snowboarding, pikmin, smash bros, mario party and f-zero.

we had 5 resi-evils which all sucked IMO especially compared to eternal darkness, now thats a real scary game.

yeah most the good exclusive games are in-house but is that such a bad thing, nintendo support themselves with games guaranteed to sell and experiment with the change.

Busyman
01-10-2005, 04:01 PM
for a start i said ratio

gc was first with viewtiful joe
we got good weird games too like doshin the giant (even though its an n64 port) and animal crossing. 1080 snowboarding, pikmin, smash bros, mario party and f-zero.

we had 5 resi-evils which all sucked IMO especially compared to eternal darkness, now thats a real scary game.

yeah most the good exclusive games are in-house but is that such a bad thing, nintendo support themselves with games guaranteed to sell and experiment with the change.

For a start I said.....

PS2 has more good games than the GC and that's indisputable.
Then you said
i dispute it,

Again ratios mean nothing..

5 games made and they are all good versus

20 games made and 15 are good.

:dry:

TheDave
01-10-2005, 04:06 PM
wave race
harvest moon
luigi's mansion
warioware
paper mario (i haven't actually played it, i admit)

TheDave
01-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Again ratios mean nothing..

ratios mean i higher standard.

so nintendo really are interested in publishing the very best games, not just the money for selling them

Busyman
01-10-2005, 04:19 PM
ratios mean i higher standard.

so nintendo really are interested in publishing the very best games, not just the money for selling them
As a consumer, what do I care? :blink:

With the GC I have less choice. So you are saying that's a good thing. :dry:

Nintendo is also missed the ball on the online front.

Less game selection, but the few they have are good, and very little online play. What a grand combo. :ohmy:

TheDave
01-10-2005, 05:06 PM
who plays consoles online anyway (tunnelling software excluded as that exists for gc anyway)

they're way way ahead with the quality of multiplayer games, you just cant play em online. anyway part of the fun is punching gits for git tactics.

it maybe an age old fanboy cliche but you should care as nintendo's philosophy is whats stopping rivals putting out more shit and less quality games

Busyman
01-10-2005, 06:19 PM
who plays consoles online anyway (tunnelling software excluded as that exists for gc anyway)

they're way way ahead with the quality of multiplayer games, you just cant play em online. anyway part of the fun is punching gits for git tactics.

it maybe an age old fanboy cliche but you should care as nintendo's philosophy is whats stopping rivals putting out more shit and less quality games
You're right. It's an old fanboy cliche.

What's stops rivals from putting out more shit is simple competition.

Put out to much shit and that equals less sales.

As far as online console play, you haven't a clue.

Bottomline:

The GC stumbled by not having DVD capability.
The GC stumbled with it's lackluster online capability.
The GC stumbled with it's lack of great games:number of games ratio.

I would love to have more good GC games. The problem is not enough were made in the first place.

btw Luigi's Mansion (which I have) is not a great game. An ok game but not a great game whatsoever. (you forgot Ikaruga)

The PS2's list would top the GC's in a heartbeat.

Devil May Cry
Castlevania
Gran Turismo
R-Type Final

You are a fanboy.

I recognize each system for what it is. The GC is good for it's paltry number of exclusives and that is all. :dry:

TheDave
01-10-2005, 06:31 PM
devil may cry is a very bad game (IMHO)

did ikaruga not come out on ps2 and dreamcast

i know its simple competition and nintendo's dedication to quality is what keeps rivals on their toes, even if they're beating nintendo in sales

Busyman
01-10-2005, 06:37 PM
devil may cry is a very bad game (IMHO)

did ikaruga not come out on ps2 and dreamcast

i know its simple competition and nintendo's dedication to quality is what keeps rivals on their toes, even if they're beating nintendo in sales
I didn't know PS2 had Ikaruga.

Competition in general keeps rivals on their toes.

If there was no Nintendo, Sony couldn't slack off because there's still Xbox. If not Xbox someone else would rise to the challenge.

GC is not the end all be all. It's my least played system and for good reason.

NOT ENOUGH GOOD GAMES. :dry:

So you think DMC is a very bad game but Luigi's Mansion is good.

What games that you played do you think are good for the GC then? (besides the 4 you named)

Snee
01-10-2005, 06:51 PM
He sounds like a narrow-minded old man.

But it's true that nintendo does seem to go for originality and quality rather than pure profit.

And japanese workers and businessmen do seem have a different, more dutybound mentality compared to others.

EDit: no one had to harness the power of the atom to beat them tho', that was overkill, as the allies were already winning.

TheDave
01-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I didn't know PS2 had Ikaruga.

Competition in general keeps rivals on their toes.

If there was no Nintendo, Sony couldn't slack off because there's still Xbox. If not Xbox someone else would rise to the challenge.

GC is not the end all be all. It's my least played system and for good reason.

NOT ENOUGH GOOD GAMES. :dry:

So you think DMC is a very bad game but Luigi's Mansion is good.

What games that you played do you think are good for the GC then? (besides the 4 you named)

i own most of the games we've mentioned. devil may cry 2, (i cant remember what the first is like :blushing: ) has a crap engine and every fight can be done the same way. jump in a circle and shoot :yawn:

GC is the least played system for a bad reason, a very bad reason. according to many 13 year olds the GC is made for kids and the ps2 is for adults.

nobody wants to play a kids game like mario or zelda. they wanna play a hardcore adult game like tomb raider or devil may cry. they dont even have to be good, just throw in some tits and expletives and your laughing :w00t:

Busyman
01-10-2005, 07:38 PM
i own most of the games we've mentioned. devil may cry 2, (i cant remember what the first is like :blushing: ) has a crap engine and every fight can be done the same way. jump in a circle and shoot :yawn:

GC is the least played system for a bad reason, a very bad reason. according to many 13 year olds the GC is made for kids and the ps2 is for adults.

nobody wants to play a kids game like mario or zelda. they wanna play a hardcore adult game like tomb raider or devil may cry. they dont even have to be good, just throw in some tits and expletives and your laughing :w00t:
Well you buy into hype and rumour.

I bet the Xbox is just a crap PC too huh?

DMC 2 was shit. If you can't even remember part 1 then you have no room to base opinion.

You say that GC is the least played for your hyped reason.

Games without substance end up being exposed for what they are.

Tomb Raider used to be a good series. DMC has no expletives. BMX XXX was shit. GTA is a good series without the hardcore. It has the freedom.

DOA for instance is a good fighter that has tits, Very simple.

How many good fighters does the GC have?
How many good shooters, FPS, platformers, etc.........

Ratchet & Clank isn't a hardcore adult game...it's just great.

The thing is people don't play a GC as much because they are done with it already. :lol: :lol:

I will be getting RE4 this week however. :unsure:

Snee
01-10-2005, 07:50 PM
You are both subjective.

The thing is, that hardwarewise the xbox may be a bit sharper when it comes to graphics and storage. Whereas the gamecube's strengths lie in it's originality both when it comes to structure in the way the software is built and the way the machine is built.

The xbox does come closer to being a sort of pc, which is good in that it's easy to port to and from, and bad in that whatever it can do a pc can probably do too.

EDit: The rest is just personal opinion as to whether one game is good and another is not.

TheDave
01-10-2005, 07:51 PM
i'm talking about more people than you, and thats the reason sony and microsoft sell more than nintendo.

they got a few good shooters, e.g. timesplitters 2 and XIII
they got a few good beat em ups too, e.g. smash bros and soul caliber 2

Formula1
01-10-2005, 07:54 PM
nintendo faboys are really annoying eh, Busyman ?

Busyman
01-10-2005, 07:58 PM
The xbox does come closer to being a sort of pc, which is good in that it's easy to port to and from, and bad in that whatever it can do a pc can probably do too.
This is hype crap I'm talking about.

How is the Xbox bad "in that whatever it can do a pc can probably do" if the other consoles are less powerfull? :blink:

I agree on the subjective front although sales figures for Halo 2 and GTA San Andreas kick any GC game in the teeth.

TheDave
01-10-2005, 07:59 PM

we were having a gentlemanly discussion :dry:

Busyman
01-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Any fanboy is annoying. :dry:

Snee
01-10-2005, 08:02 PM
What I mean is that it seems a bit unnecessary getting one if all you have to do is wait for the pc port, and if they don't do a pc port then that is kinda' dumb too, as it's so frikkin easy.

Porting from the GC is a bitch tho' as the hardware is different(which doesn't necessarily mean inferior), which in turn means that many titles may become exclusive for that reason alone.

Busyman
01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
What I mean is that it seems a bit unnecessary getting one if all you have to do is wait for the pc port, and if they don't do a pc port then that is kinda' dumb too, as it's so frikkin easy.

Porting from the GC is a bitch tho' as the hardware is different(which doesn't necessarily mean inferior), which in turn means that many titles may become exclusive for that reason alone.
Isn't the PS2 different as well? :huh:

Why would I wait a year for a PC port anyway?

I play console games for a reason.

I can hook it up to any TV. Don't have to configure it. Don't have to buy another $300 card to take advantage of the updated graphics.

Splinter Cell on the Xbox wasn't unnecessary by the least. :dry:

TheDave
01-10-2005, 08:15 PM
i prefer playing xbox games (halo) on pc anyway

the $300 card is weak cop out. it turns out more expensive to play pc games but not that expensive

Snee
01-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Yeppers, the ps2 is linux based I think, and notoriously difficult to program to, or used to be at least. I like it, but they seem to have picked a pretty roundabout way in making it. They own at blurring things tho'.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick one that is less likely to have its games remade, quite possibly even enhanced (as pc's are constantly getting better), for a platform I already have. But as it is I play them all with no particular bias.

I can hook my pc up to any tv I want already, and as for hardware constantly getting better and you having to buy new cards to take advantage of that, the xbox isn't getting better, so it can only do the graphics it does today, how is that any better?

Busyman
01-10-2005, 08:22 PM
i prefer playing xbox games (halo) on pc anyway

the $300 card is weak cop out. it turns out more expensive to play pc games but not that expensive
The PC is better for all FPS's.

There's mouse look and unlimited mods.

$300 is not weak whatsoever. Quite expensive every 2 years for a very small number of good games.

I'm sure Halo was better......a year later.

TheDave
01-10-2005, 08:23 PM
every two years though

Busyman
01-10-2005, 08:27 PM
every two years though
and............how many great new games do I benefit from this new advance in technology?

2 or 3....maybe?

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 08:31 PM
and............how many great new games do I benefit from this new advance in technology?

2 or 3....maybe?

half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Unreal Tourny 2004 to name the big ones.

TheDave
01-10-2005, 08:32 PM
10-15 i'd say

say you spend $200 a year upgrading teh pc, thats only 55 cents a day

Busyman
01-10-2005, 08:38 PM
10-15 i'd say

say you spend $200 a year upgrading teh pc, thats only 55 cents a day
I agree with Peerzy but 10-15 is bullshit.

Equating how much one spends in a day to a one time cost is crap as well.

My washer and dryer cost $2200. So what,

TheDave
01-10-2005, 08:42 PM
last year:

bf:vietnam
rct3
half life 2
doom 3
ut 2004
rome

thats one year i'll let you work out 2 :whistling:

edit: i forgot we're in 2005

Busyman
01-10-2005, 08:54 PM
last year:

bf:vietnam
rct3
half life 2
doom 3
ut 2004
rome

thats one year i'll let you work out 2 :whistling:

edit: i forgot we're in 2005
Don't know all those games but let's double it to 12.

12 games for $300. :blink:

TheDave
01-10-2005, 08:59 PM
its not really comparable to consoles though, if you count everything else a pc does.

Busyman
01-10-2005, 09:05 PM
its not really comparable to consoles though, if you count everything else a pc does.
The $300 price tag is directly comparable since it's for games.

Snee
01-10-2005, 09:09 PM
And rendering software, if you are so inclined.

ready1
01-18-2005, 04:18 AM
....And getting back to the original thread topic

An Interview with Hiroshi Yamauchi
An interview with Hiroshi Yamauchi, former president of Nintendo, has been doing the rounds. It's supposedly published in the February issue of Wired. The interview is quite colorful, to say the least. For instance, at one point Yamauchi claims that during a meeting with Microsoft's Steve Ballmer he said to him, 'hey, Ballmer, why don't you suck my tiny yellow balls.' This was his response to Microsoft's offer to buy Nintendo. The quotation is offered up in bold letters in the sidebar, so there's no chance you'll miss it. There's also some other equally outrageous stuff. Is any of it real? No. It's a fake interview and a fake Wired magazine mock-up. Digit magazine has an article debunking it.

Update: Inquirer.net apparently thought the article was real.

Update 2: According to this article, Nintendo has officially confirmed that the interview is a hoax.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/an_interview_with_hiroshi_yamauchi/

http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4653

3RA1N1AC
01-19-2005, 09:27 AM
the ps2 is linux based I think
nah. sony did release a version of linux for ps2 as a hobby item, but ps2 games do not run on linux. it's just that linux is (relatively) easy to convert to all sorts of computer platforms, including game consoles. ps2 games are written in the traditional console fashion: directly "to the metal," with no operating system. in contrast, xbox actually deviates from the traditional console formula because it uses microsoft's pc-style directx software (acting as a "hardware abstraction layer") to make the system easier for game-developers to understand & control.