PDA

View Full Version : Discusting School Policies

Rip The Jacker
01-07-2005, 06:07 AM
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/education/4049149/detail.html

I find this really upsetting... :no:

The policy said because their classrooms are on the second floor, teachers are to lead them to the second-floor stairwell and leave them there and wait for the fire crews to come to their rescue while everyone else evacuates.
What do you think?

tesco
01-07-2005, 01:21 PM
That's sad.

stupid school.

100%
01-07-2005, 01:28 PM
question
how many kids in that school?
how many stairwells?
how many exits?

thought
if everybody runs out at the same time - what is the effect?

edit: the above is reaction to your quote

just read the link - There should be better solutions for the handicapped, wtf? are they doing upstairs?
obviously in emergencies elevators arent supposed to be used
their class should be downstairs

TheDave
01-07-2005, 01:29 PM
they could cause an accident in the rush but i think its the teacher responsibility to get them out even if it means carrying them when everyones downstairs

Barbarossa
01-07-2005, 02:34 PM
question
how many kids in that school?
how many stairwells?
how many exits?

thought
if everybody runs out at the same time - what is the effect?

edit: the above is reaction to your quote

just read the link - There should be better solutions for the handicapped, wtf? are they doing upstairs?
obviously in emergencies elevators arent supposed to be used
their class should be downstairs

I thought that, but they said they're upstairs because otherwise they can't get to the canteen in time at lunchtime!

Possible solutions I have for escape are:

1. A big ramp/slide thing, like on an aeroplane
2. Someone should leave the chairs, give the kids piggybacks
3. A big mattress outside the window, the kids can be chucked out onto it.
4. A Stennah Stairlift.

:cool:

manker
01-07-2005, 02:45 PM
From the kid's point of view; my school never had a fire and if I was in a wheelchair and it was a hassle to get to the canteen every dinnertime, I'd probably prefer to be upstairs in class.

Having said that, safety is safety and the big aeroplane ramp thing sounds quality :01:

Maybe if they didn't want to leave their chairs behind some sort of cresta run apparatus could be devised :unsure:

100%
01-07-2005, 03:00 PM
according to the law of modern architecture
this is illegal

there should be easy handicapped axess everywhere (public areas)
even the firemen should have said something about this

They should get sued

Virtualbody1234
01-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Move them downstairs and rebuild the cafeteria downstairs. Simple no?

People can be so stupid sometimes with this kind of stuff.

manker
01-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Rebuilding the cafeteria will cost a lot more than my Cresta Run idea http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/snooty.gif

Smith
01-07-2005, 04:28 PM
wow thats sad...

Barbarossa
01-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Rebuilding the cafeteria will cost a lot more than my Cresta Run idea http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/snooty.gif

Cheapest would be to get someone to bring the food downstairs for them at lunchtime... :P

100%
01-07-2005, 05:17 PM

Rebuilding a dead person is priceless

Virtualbody1234
01-07-2005, 07:58 PM
They shouldn't have biut the cafeteria on the second level to begin with.

That's what I meant when I said:
People can be so stupid sometimes with this kind of stuff.

bigboab
01-07-2005, 10:27 PM
This is the standard procedure in most colleges and schools. :( In the event of a fire every second counts. Therefore it is faster to get all the able bodied people out first. Any attempt to get handicapped people out first would create a 'backlog' which could have disastrous results. :(

I know it sounds cruel. But in these situations we have to put the safety of the majority first. :(

I suppose the answer would be some kind of ramp sytem on the outside of the buildings. Something similar to the American fire escapes, but with ramps instead of stairs. Or even an outside mechanical lift that would not be in any way electrically controlled.

tesco
01-07-2005, 11:51 PM
The guy that designed that school is an idiot.
Who would put the lunchroom upstairs anyway. :frusty:

bigboab
01-07-2005, 11:56 PM
The guy that designed that school is an idiot.
Who would put the lunchroom upstairs anyway. :frusty:

There are also classrooms and labs upstairs that need to be accessed by handicapped people. They can access these by lifts under normal conditions. But in the event of a fire the lifts are 'out of bounds' for obvious reasons.

tesco
01-07-2005, 11:58 PM
There are also classrooms and labs upstairs that need to be accessed by handicapped people. They can access these by lifts under normal conditions. But in the event of a fire the lifts are 'out of bounds' for obvious reasons.
ya, so no matter what there has to be some way for handicaps to get downstairs... ;)

Mr. Blunt
01-07-2005, 11:58 PM
This is kind of how my high school is. The top floor in the main building is only accessable by handicaps if they use the elevator. If case of a fire, the elevator is the only way down.

bigboab
01-08-2005, 12:02 AM
ya, so no matter what there has to be some way for handicaps to get downstairs... ;)
That is the whole point of this thread. The policy in most schools and colleges is for handicapped people to be left to the last. Sad, practicable, but true. :(

Money Fist
01-08-2005, 12:25 AM
they should have at least tried to commando crawl down the stairs!

but still
it takes the piss they were left behind