PDA

View Full Version : whatever.Xvid.MPAA -- anything to worry about?

Timz
01-08-2005, 05:18 PM
hey i dunno if this has been going on for a while, but recently i noticed a bunch of screener releases have been on ET etc. w/ the MPAA at the end of the name. When i tried to watch one it also has this blue page w/ and FBI warning saying that the screeners have "digital watermarks" that are used to trace the movie to the downloader. Is this anything to worry about?

{I}{K}{E}
01-08-2005, 05:27 PM
MPAA is a release group like Deity/BRUTUS etc..

MPAA is their name just to play with the MPAA :P

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=59344

SCREENER (SCR) -
A pre VHS tape, sent to rental stores, and various other places for promotional use. A screener is supplied on a VHS tape, and is usually in a 4:3 (full screen) a/r, although letterboxed screeners are sometimes found. The main draw back is a "ticker" (a message that scrolls past at the bottom of the screen, with the copyright and anti-copy telephone number). Also, if the tape contains any serial numbers, or any other markings that could lead to the source of the tape, these will have to be blocked, usually with a black mark over the section. This is sometimes only for a few seconds, but unfortunately on some copies this will last for the entire film, and some can be quite big. Depending on the equipment used, screener quality can range from excellent if done from a MASTER copy, to very poor if done on an old VHS recorder thru poor capture equipment on a copied tape. Most screeners are transferred to VCD, but a few attempts at SVCD have occurred, some looking better than others.

DVD-SCREENER (DVDscr) -
Same premise as a screener, but transferred off a DVD. Usually letterbox , but without the extras that a DVD retail would contain. The ticker is not usually in the black bars, and will disrupt the viewing. If the ripper has any skill, a DVDscr should be very good. Usually transferred to SVCD or DivX/XviD.

Filliz
01-08-2005, 05:27 PM
"digital watermarks" that are used to trace the movie to the downloader.

bollocks.

{I}{K}{E}
01-08-2005, 05:31 PM
When i tried to watch one it also has this blue page w/ and FBI warning saying that the screeners have "digital watermarks" that are used to trace the movie to the downloader. Is this anything to worry about?

Bullshit.
They can maybe only find out who released the SCREENER to an release group, they can locate the downloader of the movie. but they dont do that especially when you dont live in the US

Peerzy
01-08-2005, 05:58 PM
<]PRE[> [Group] MPAA
<]PRE[> [Releases] 4 [Nukes] 0 (0.0%)
<]PRE[> [FIRST] In.Good.Company.DVD.SCREENER.XViD-MPAA got released 5d 10h 15m 51s [0103] ago [ DIVX / MPAA | 703MB in 50F ]
<]PRE[> [LAST] Million.Dollar.Baby.LiMITED.DVD.SCREENER.XViD-MPAA got released 1d 10h 19m 24s [0107] ago [ DIVX / MPAA ]

T'is a group.