PDA

View Full Version : console games on computer

Draconos
01-08-2005, 06:46 PM
pardon my ignorance, I've never dl'd games b4

my brother in law told me that there is a program that you can download that makes it that you can play game cube and ps2 games on your computer. i dont know if you need to dl them or get an original copy or whatnot.

is there such a prog? and if there is, whats it called and where can I get it, is there a tutorial etc...

thanks
D

silent h3ro
01-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Its called an emulator and they do exist. Try googling emulator and roms.

Vamp
01-08-2005, 08:11 PM
But not for Gamecube or PS2 afaik

Guyver
01-08-2005, 08:20 PM
There are emulators for those consoles, but no where near to fully playing the game....try back in 2006 or 7 lol:P

SingaBoiy
01-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Yes there are emulators (working) for GC. But dont even try for ps2 or xbox.

Draconos
01-09-2005, 12:53 AM
is it worth it thought? is the quality of the game diminished and what not? and where do you get the games?

mike45450
01-09-2005, 01:03 AM
is it worth it thought? is the quality of the game diminished and what not? and where do you get the games?

Honestly...no. Most commercial games crash after a while and you need a real bitch of a computer to be able to run them properly at decent FPS.

cpt_azad
01-09-2005, 01:30 AM
hell even an Alienware/Top of the line comp can't do what you ask of (run console games on a ur comp)

Shiranai_Baka
01-09-2005, 03:35 AM
is it the program itself that makes it hard to run games on an emulator or is it really the hardware issue?

muchspl2
01-09-2005, 03:38 AM
game cube yes, xbox/ps2 no not yet
game cube emul runs good if you have a decient system last time I heard anything about it.

Xilo
01-09-2005, 07:45 AM
console games on computer
TV-Card... :P

3RA1N1AC
01-09-2005, 07:48 AM
is it the program itself that makes it hard to run games on an emulator or is it really the hardware issue?
it's the fact that (aside from Xbox) a console and a pc are two completely different types of computers designed to run two completely different computer languages. and consoles have gotten so complex nowadays that it's getting more & more difficult to emulate them-- especially without access to all of the documentation that explains what every piece of metal on the console's motherboard does and how it does it (understandably the console manufacturers aren't just going to share their tech secrets with the world). emulator authors might never figure out how to emulate a certain console with 100% accuracy. there are always going to be accuracy problems when you're trying to substitute an emulation program for microchips which don't exist in the pc.

i don't think there's even such a thing as an absolutely 100% accurate NES emulator yet-- many of them do a very fine job of running nearly every ROM that you'd wanna play, but there still is no NES emulator that can accurately run every single ROM because the original cartridges used several dozen different "memory mappers" and each mapper has to be emulated differently (which has made NES emulation more complicated than you'd prolly expect it to be).

then there's the matter of hardware resources. emulation is inefficient. emulation has a certain amount of bloat because you're trying to run games on a system that it wasn't designed to run on. just because one pc cpu is similar in speed to a console's cpu, it doesn't mean it's going to run the games at full speed 'cos the pc's operating system is using a chunk of cpu power, and the emulator is using another chunk of cpu power to translate the console's computer language into something that the pc can understand. and THEN it's using another chunk of power to actually run the game and the graphics. typically you need a pc several times faster than a console, to run that console's software.

so it's both a software and hardware issue. emulation takes a long time to get up to speed because emulator authors need time to figure out how to emulate the console accurately, and then it might take even longer for pcs to become fast enough that they can make up for the inefficiency of emulation.

orcutt989
01-10-2005, 02:23 AM
it's the fact that (aside from Xbox) a console and a pc are two completely different types of computers designed to run two completely different computer languages. and consoles have gotten so complex nowadays that it's getting more & more difficult to emulate them-- especially without access to all of the documentation that explains what every piece of metal on the console's motherboard does and how it does it (understandably the console manufacturers aren't just going to share their tech secrets with the world). emulator authors might never figure out how to emulate a certain console with 100% accuracy. there are always going to be accuracy problems when you're trying to substitute an emulation program for microchips which don't exist in the pc.

i don't think there's even such a thing as an absolutely 100% accurate NES emulator yet-- many of them do a very fine job of running nearly every ROM that you'd wanna play, but there still is no NES emulator that can accurately run every single ROM because the original cartridges used several dozen different "memory mappers" and each mapper has to be emulated differently (which has made NES emulation more complicated than you'd prolly expect it to be).

then there's the matter of hardware resources. emulation is inefficient. emulation has a certain amount of bloat because you're trying to run games on a system that it wasn't designed to run on. just because one pc cpu is similar in speed to a console's cpu, it doesn't mean it's going to run the games at full speed 'cos the pc's operating system is using a chunk of cpu power, and the emulator is using another chunk of cpu power to translate the console's computer language into something that the pc can understand. and THEN it's using another chunk of power to actually run the game and the graphics. typically you need a pc several times faster than a console, to run that console's software.

so it's both a software and hardware issue. emulation takes a long time to get up to speed because emulator authors need time to figure out how to emulate the console accurately, and then it might take even longer for pcs to become fast enough that they can make up for the inefficiency of emulation.

I have a NES emulator for my dreamcast, and it has like 1 million games on it. It seems to do a great job. It even has the game that Indian game that Super Mario 2 was based off of.

cpt_azad
01-10-2005, 02:36 AM
indian :blink: ?

3RA1N1AC
01-11-2005, 04:56 AM
I have a NES emulator for my dreamcast, and it has like 1 million games on it. It seems to do a great job. It even has the game that Indian game that Super Mario 2 was based off of.
i didn't say NES emulators aren't good. they are very good. but they're still not 100% compatible and 100% accurate with every NES ROM.

@azad: Nintendo's Japanese sequel to Super Mario was just Super Mario with the levels changed around. otherwise, it was the same game with the same graphics. instead of releasing that game in the U.S. as Super Mario 2, they took this Arabian-themed game they had lying around called Yumekojo Doki Doki Panic, changed the character sprites and called it Super Mario 2. that's why there are flying carpets, the little Toad guy looks like he's wearing a turban, etc. i liked Yumekojo/Mario 2 a lot... it was one of my favorite NES games... but people seem to hold it in lower esteem than most of the other Mario games 'cos everyone knows it's just a conversion of a non-Mario game.

buncha pics of the original game: http://www.progressiveboink.com/archive/dokidokipanic.html

the original Japanese Super Mario 2 is now known as "The Lost Levels" because it's really just an expansion of Super Mario rather than an upgrade.

scribblec
01-11-2005, 08:30 PM
ohhhhh this explains the shitness of the second mario :S sorry any lovers but this game was by far the worst in the seires

muchspl2
01-11-2005, 11:04 PM
wow I didn't know that
#2 had the best ending IMO out of all of them

scribblec
01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
wow I didn't know that
#2 had the best ending IMO out of all of them

never completed number 2 :( actually the only mario ive fully completed is number 1 and world

2 didnt bothered
number 3 the last world was hard as fuck but ive seen the ending

3RA1N1AC
01-15-2005, 08:59 AM
ohhhhh this explains the shitness of the second mario :S sorry any lovers but this game was by far the worst in the seires
well SMB 2's reputation comes not only from the fact that it was a conversion, but also because fans mistakenly believe that it is not the work of Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc). Miyamoto was in fact directly involved with the production of Doki Doki Panic and its conversion into a Mario game for the west. to add a sense of perspective: supposedly Miyamoto had more creative involvement in Doki Doki Panic than he did in Zelda Wind Waker.

personally i think SMB 2 is hugely underrated, and it is a really important part of the Mario series for introducing a greater variety of settings and characters. Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros were both fun games, but they were really limited and repetitive. SMB 2 had a much bigger, more "anything goes" feeling to its levels and enemies. and up till then Luigi had been simply a green-colored Mario, but in SMB 2 he started to become a distinct & separate character. and so forth.

scribblec
01-15-2005, 06:54 PM
well SMB 2's reputation comes not only from the fact that it was a conversion, but also because fans mistakenly believe that it is not the work of Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc). Miyamoto was in fact directly involved with the production of Doki Doki Panic and its conversion into a Mario game for the west. to add a sense of perspective: supposedly Miyamoto had more creative involvement in Doki Doki Panic than he did in Zelda Wind Waker.

personally i think SMB 2 is hugely underrated, and it is a really important part of the Mario series for introducing a greater variety of settings and characters. Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros were both fun games, but they were really limited and repetitive. SMB 2 had a much bigger, more "anything goes" feeling to its levels and enemies. and up till then Luigi had been simply a green-colored Mario, but in SMB 2 he started to become a distinct & separate character. and so forth.

ok ok :P im gonna try complete this game now brb :p

lightshow
01-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Now back to emulation. If you go to h**p://www.zophar.net/windos.phtml

It will list all the emulators avaialbe for the Windows operating system. If you look in the Console section, you'll see all the different Consoles and their various emulators.

WolverineDK
01-15-2005, 09:49 PM
http://www.zophar.net/index.phtml

3RA1N1AC
01-15-2005, 10:43 PM
ok ok :P im gonna try complete this game now brb :p
go to it, man. :P