PDA

View Full Version : New Pc

musicmaster
01-09-2005, 06:56 AM
I am getting ready to build a new pc. My cousin who used to build them has a P4 that he is going to sell me for $150.00 It is retail and I believe its a 3.4 ghz or close to that. Anyway, I want to know if I can get some info on the newest and best quality mobos w/power supply included of course (quality one) with all the bells and whistles eg. firewire, usb 2.0 , on board sound etc. I also believe he mentioned that I should get what I think he said was dual channel memory or something like that... so instead of gettting one 512 chip I would get 2 256s or instead of 1 1gb I would get 2 512s etc.

I dont know much about these items, hence the post.. I am going to use my existing hard drives... both WDs 120 and 200 gb and my new NEC ND-3500A DVDRW I am thinking of leaving out my old PlexWriter, because the DVD burner can do it all as far as I am concerned to its just a waste of space to have it in the box if I dont need it. Maybe I can put in a third hard drive in that space where the other cd drive would have been.

Anyway, in the past we used to go with Asus, but he mentioned that Intel has really good quality mobos now... but he suggested I ask around and I told him I would post on the forum.

I know I will get some AMD responses, but I am not going with AMD, as I like the 'family sedan'

Anyway, thanks in advance for the infomation.

NikkiD
01-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I dunno mm... for the performance I really prefer the AMD. :P

fkdup74
01-09-2005, 07:08 AM
AMD pwns joo pentium boy! :w00t:

and teh dual channel dont mean gettin two 256s to equal 512
cuz you can ....... oh never mind.......
get an AMD then we'll talk :P

:lol:

clocker
01-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Look here (http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4) for info on Intel platform boards.
Dunno nuttin bout 'em myself.

bigdawgfoxx
01-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Dont be ignorant dude...how much are you willing to spend? The A64 chips are better then the P4 anyway...

Virtualbody1234
01-09-2005, 02:53 PM
We keep seeing the same thing here in Hardwareworld. People come here to ask our advice but don't want to hear what we tell them.

AMD is the way to go. You get more for your money.

Check out the Athlon 64 - 90nm Winchester technology. Click review. (http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=118)

ahctlucabbuS
01-09-2005, 03:11 PM
A supposedly quiet case:

http://reseller.armsystems.com/reseller/ezconfig2/index2.cfm?ID=538152798

(have not tested it myself)

peat moss
01-09-2005, 06:56 PM
While I have an Intel P4 right now , your doing your self a disfavour by having a closed mind. If and when I upgrade I'll be looking to an AMD 64 bit system. Good to see your using your near new parts , hdd, dvd . etc. Look and learn find a good deal , don't limit yourself. Asus mobo's are a good choice , why the change?

Mabye decide on the cpu then the mobo.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487,00.html

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 12:05 AM
AMD pwns joo pentium boy! :w00t:

and teh dual channel dont mean gettin two 256s to equal 512
cuz you can ....... oh never mind.......
get an AMD then we'll talk :P

:lol:

READ fkr... I said what you said... but I spelled it out ugh

I also believe he mentioned that I should get what I think he said was dual channel memory or something like that... so instead of gettting one 512 chip I would get 2 256s or instead of 1 1gb I would get 2 512s etc.

:frusty: :frusty: :D :D :D

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 12:11 AM
We keep seeing the same thing here in Hardwareworld. People come here to ask our advice but don't want to hear what we tell them.

AMD is the way to go. You get more for your money.

Check out the Athlon 64 - 90nm Winchester technology. Click review. (http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=118)

I was joking with Nikki and fkdup about putting them on ignore Virtualbody... but please have some consideration in talking shit to me about my post, because I have a brand new P4 and am not going AMD, is it that hard to understand? FFS man.. I had a pc with AMD about 5 years ago and it wouldnt do anything.... not to mention that the computer builder who sold me the pc didnt mention they werent putting Pentium inside it.

I asked specifically about Pentium boards and if you like AMD ... more power to you... but dont give me shit because I dont want to use your brand. Say for instance I was asking about Mac... would you say get a pc?? Probably.. but I dont think the person who made the post would appreciate you just going off on them... so please lighten up, I am seeking real info.. not the get an AMD. You give me the money back for the P4 and maybe I will think about buying an AMD.

Nah, I dont like AMD.

---End of Post---

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 12:15 AM
While I have an Intel P4 right now , your doing your self a disfavour by having a closed mind. If and when I upgrade I'll be looking to an AMD 64 bit system. Good to see your using your near new parts , hdd, dvd . etc. Look and learn find a good deal , don't limit yourself. Asus mobo's are a good choice , why the change?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487,00.html

I appreciate your concern peat.. but I dont feel as I am limiting myself... as I do not plan on overclocking. Put it this way... I am using a 733 now. I have a 3.4ghz P4... so anything remotely a bit higher than that wont be noticable to me... and I am more than happy with Intel products, havent had a problem with them in the past. So, for just a couple ghz more speed I cant go wrong. Additionally, everyone is saying "more bang for the buck" so tell me this... am I getting a bad deal on a P4 3.4 ghz for $150.00??? Can I get a better deal on an AMD chip?

I wasnt actually thinking of going with an Intel board... just my cousin who used to build pcs mentioned that they had a good one.... but I will stick with ASUS if they still have the best ones.. and from what I have experienced... they are.

clocker
01-10-2005, 12:26 AM

I believe that he aready has picked the CPU...it's just that nobody here wants to believe it.

Although true in many cases, this is not one of them, IMO.
This time it's us who aren't paying attention.
FFS, if he wants to run Intel ( and already HAS it) then why bombard him with proAMD nonsense?

freak
01-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Wow I'm sorry but u deserve getting a hard time... First u make a 2nd post which was not needed then u post 4 times in a row?! Use the edit button... Most people here like AMD! U like intel fine but don't expect abunch of people to know a good intel mobo when most/alot here use AMD

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 12:44 AM
Wow I'm sorry but u deserve getting a hard time... First u make a 2nd post which was not needed then u post 4 times in a row?! Use the edit button... Most people here like AMD! U like intel fine but don't expect abunch of people to know a good intel mobo when most/alot here use AMD

Thanks Clocker Rizindon ... as for you freak, I deserve getting a hard time huh? Thanks for being my parent.

Ya know something... if in fact this was an "AMD" board, which its not... this topic of this category woudl be "AMD World" but fortunately, yes I say fortunately ... for you it is not AMD World and it is just Hardware in general. You may eventually get someone on here posting about Mac too... imagine that!!!

So please dont insult my intelligence by saying that I shouldnt expect a bunch of people to know a good intel mobo... because if a category is labelled Hardware World... with the large amount of people registered on this forum... I think there would be a substantial amount of those that know something about good intel boards.

And, yes I did have to post two threads....

And yes I do know how to use edit... I chose not to.

Rperry, thanks for what you said on the other thread although what clocker posted was a link for an overclocking site. I am not interesting in change the specs of the hardware I purchase... but more interested in getting peoples personal views on what mobos are better and what types of things it should and shouldnt have etc.

I guess I will google and find a site that tested and rated them.

Please close this when you have a chance.

Thanks.

freak
01-10-2005, 12:51 AM
ok whatever! I never said it was AMD world I just said alot of people here use AMD! And if alot of people here are more AMD prone. Then no you shouldn't expect people to know a good intel board.

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2005, 01:35 AM
My fault. I didn't realize you already had the CPU.

You see... When you post:
I am getting ready to build a new pc. My cousin who used to build them has a P4 that he is going to sell me for $150.00
It doesn't say that it's only the CPU. :rolleyes:

Edit: Could you tell us more precisely what CPU it is? What socket type?

tesco
01-10-2005, 01:59 AM
You asked our opinions with us thinking you were going to be buying not already bought a P4.

Because if you hadn't boguht it yet you could have got a better performance AMD chip.
doesn't matter though since you already bought it.
Be more clear next time before you post.

I had a pc with AMD about 5 years ago and it wouldnt do anything.... not to mention that the computer builder who sold me the pc didnt mention they werent putting Pentium inside it.
Maybe it wouldn't do anything because it was 5 years old. :frusty:
The same priced intel CPU would have had the exact same limitations.

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 02:35 AM
You asked our opinions with us thinking you were going to be buying not already bought a P4.

Because if you hadn't boguht it yet you could have got a better performance AMD chip.
doesn't matter though since you already bought it.
Be more clear next time before you post.

Maybe it wouldn't do anything because it was 5 years old. :frusty:
The same priced intel CPU would have had the exact same limitations.

I agree I didnt say "bought" because I didnt want any AMD responses as I had said in the very first sentence. I was really super clear Rossco, people just didnt stop and read word for word, that I didnt want the AMD. 5 years ago means that when I bought the current pc I am using now... it was brand new. In 2000 I bought it... the people built me a new computer, put an AMD chip/mobo in it... I got it home... it didnt work. I was none-the-wiser about the processer until I brought it to my cousin and he told me that they put in AMD. Then, I took it back... they replaced it with OEM Pentium... that broke... and my cousin said to them... they need to put in retail Pentium... so I had a bad experience with the company I bought the computer from in the first place... and subsequently I chose not to use AMD because of that bad experience... not to say that AMD isnt good... I just dont prefer using them, hence my explicit words in the first sentence of my post.

Anyway, now getting better performance from an AMD chip as opposed to a Intel chip is like saying Mac works better than pc... IMHO of course... but for $150 bucks you can argue with me about this all day... but I know you cant get the same deal on an AMD for a buck fifty.

fkdup74
01-10-2005, 02:58 AM
.... but I know you cant get the same deal on an AMD for a buck fifty.

oh but you can.....pwned! :01:
j/k mm, take a pill ffs :P

now...as i am part of the intel haters (heheh)....
i cant really say what board, cause i never looked into em, but...
i say stick with the known brands, i.e. asus, abit, gigabyte
maybe try to stay away from MSI
they are good for AMD 64s, but i had a bad experience with em just recently
ended up taking two of em back and getting a gigabyte :lol:
maybe they are better with the pentium platforms, dunno

about the intel boards....maybe not a bad idea
dont think they make intel mobos with VIA, nVidia, etc chipsets (but they might)
more than likely its gonna be an intel chipset, so....
all your support will be in one spot, which i think is a little better
if you need drivers, BIOS, whatever, they'll all be in one spot
instead of having to jump back and forth between, say, asus' site & intel's
just read some reviews before you buy

bigdawgfoxx
01-10-2005, 03:02 AM
fine put a person who knows what there talking about on ignore...less power to you And in your first post you never said anything about already having a P4...and you are being ignorant...and you still havnt told us how much you wanted to spend

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 03:05 AM
fine put a person who knows what there talking about on ignore...less power to you And in your first post you never said anything about already having a P4...and you are being ignorant...and you still havnt told us how much you wanted to spend

You are not on ignore.... but if you see, plainly, that I do not want AMD why persist?

And, I did not say I had the P4 already, you are right, but if you read the last post I stated the reasoning behind that. I was being honest and I could have said I already had the chip, but I didnt... I just said I do not want AMD... its really not that difficult to understand. And you do not know more or less than I do... but you do not seem to understand that I dont want AMD.

Just because a person doesnt want what you have doesnt make them more or less intelligent. Again I say, talk with a Mac user and they will say what you are saying to me... "PC sucks, get a Mac"

So please lay off of the pushing AMD on me. I am not getting AMD. Ok?

Thanks. Btw, just curious, how much did you pay for your 2310mhz athlon?

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 03:12 AM
oh but you can.....pwned! :01:
j/k mm, take a pill ffs :P

now...as i am part of the intel haters (heheh)....
i cant really say what board, cause i never looked into em, but...
i say stick with the known brands, i.e. asus, abit, gigabyte
maybe try to stay away from MSI
they are good for AMD 64s, but i had a bad experience with em just recently
ended up taking two of em back and getting a gigabyte :lol:
maybe they are better with the pentium platforms, dunno

about the intel boards....maybe not a bad idea
dont think they make intel mobos with VIA, nVidia, etc chipsets (but they might)
more than likely its gonna be an intel chipset, so....
all your support will be in one spot, which i think is a little better
if you need drivers, BIOS, whatever, they'll all be in one spot
instead of having to jump back and forth between, say, asus' site & intel's
just read some reviews before you buy

I havent had a problem with either the chip or the mobo.. and I do have pentium and asus now... so the tech support shouldnt be an issue. I am just wondering about what board/powersupply I should get. My cousin did buy a board for me last year for I think it was $140 or something like that.. .but he didnt have a chip at the time and I didnt have the cash... so he sold it. It didnt matter any, cuz I wasnt ready to buy the rest of the parts. One of my main concerns acdtually is the case. I am going to put a new hd in the box, so I want it big enough to fan all three hard drives properly. What do you suggest with that?

fkdup74
01-10-2005, 03:15 AM
I am going to put a new hd in the box, so I want it big enough to fan all three hard drives properly. What do you suggest with that?

lots of drive bays :P
depends on how you wanna cool those drives basically

tesco
01-10-2005, 03:17 AM
I agree I didnt say "bought" because I didnt want any AMD responses as I had said in the very first sentence. I was really super clear Rossco, people just didnt stop and read word for word, that I didnt want the AMD.

you said: "My cousin who used to build them has a P4 that he is going to sell me for $150.00"

again: "...GOING TO SELL ME FOR $150..."

meaning you hadn't bought it yet. :P

Formula1
01-10-2005, 03:42 AM
@music master

What exact pentium 4 is your cousin selling you ? a used 2.67ghz cpu ? Seriously , dude you should listen to the guys at the forum. AMD ATHLON 64 BIT cpus are alot better than intel p4 and alot cheaper. Do you know an amd athlon 64 bit 2800+ match up to the performance of an intel 3.0 cpu, and their speed is only 1.8 ghz (and they only cost 130$).... got to forum.overclocking.com and you'll know why. I just got a and amd 3000+ at newegg.com and this thing is alot faster (programs load in second) than my other p4 2.67 ghz in my hp pc. just try out the amd 64 biit cpus, you won't regret it... http://newegg.com is your friend if you plan on building a pc..

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2005, 05:58 AM
I guess you forgot that I asked what CPU you have.
Edit: Could you tell us more precisely what CPU it is? What socket type?

Anyway, musicmaster, you don't seem to want to take any responsability for the controversy of this thread. I guess your ideas must all be right otherwise you wouldn't be asking for help. Right?

Maybe you could post a few boards which you are trying to choose from? Just an idea. :unsure:

fkdup74
01-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Do you know an amd athlon 64 bit 2800+ match up to the performance of an intel 3.0 cpu, and their speed is only 1.8 ghz (and they only cost 130$)....

yeah i find that funny, cuz my old athlon xp 2400+ @ about 1995 MHz...

not only matches P4s @ 2.8 GHz....
it pwns em :w00t: :01: :w00t:

both my bros got 2.8 GHz P4s, brand new, i got a 3 yr old AMD....still no contest :P

blah but anyway.....
you gotta decide how much you wanna spend too mm....
i've seen mobos anywhere from, like, 60 bucks, all the way up to 180 or so
decide what you need out of it, i.e. SATA, # of PCIs, AGP speed, etc.
(though i think most newer mobos are gonna run 8x AGP)
or PCI x-press, but dont worry about that unless you wanna fork out money for a new GFX card
# of RAM slots too should be considered, and what size module those slots support

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Ya know something fkd... these guys all 3 posts above you dont seem to listen. I did say "why" I said that I had acquired the chip already. And, no, its not a used Pentium-S 133 that I am getting from a toothless inbred. ffs, its brand fucking new in the box top of the line P4 for 150 bucks socket 775 model 550, but yeah the AMD is much better... because of what?? Price/performance... God man!!! you boys need help.

Please close this thread. I dont need to post anymore here.

BTW, you 16 year old geeks can be a little more considerate and read when I type something, in the first place instead of jumping down my throat and acting like I dont know what I said. I do. Have some respect.

The next time I post a thread it surely wont be asking you guys for help, because you dont give it. You shame anyone who would have come here in the first place to ask for help. I was thorough in what I asked in the beginning saying no AMD info, and then you continue with it. I think it will be fairly amusing in about 5 years or so when another company pops up with a faster better and CHEAPER chip than AMD, and you will tell everyone to get that.

End of Post

fkdup74
01-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Ya know something fkd... these guys all 3 posts above you dont seem to listen.

ahhhh....relax a little mm
remember you ARE in hostile territory askin about pentium
j/k f00ker :P

but anyway, look here (http://www.pcclub.com/product_browse.cfm?cat=Motherboards)
browse through the socket 478 mobos
theyre a so. cal store, but i dont know if you have one near you though
they give a fair estimate i think of what youre lookin at in price
(unless you go newegg or somethin online)
and you can check out the features too

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Ya know something fkd... these guys all 3 posts above you dont seem to listen. I did say "why" I said that I had acquired the chip already. And, no, its not a used Pentium-S 133 that I am getting from a toothless inbred. ffs, its brand fucking new in the box top of the line P4 for 150 bucks socket 775 model 550, but yeah the AMD is much better... because of what?? Price/performance... God man!!! you boys need help.

Please close this thread. I dont need to post anymore here.

BTW, you 16 year old geeks can be a little more considerate and read when I type something, in the first place instead of jumping down my throat and acting like I dont know what I said. I do. Have some respect.

The next time I post a thread it surely wont be asking you guys for help, because you dont give it. You shame anyone who would have come here in the first place to ask for help. I was thorough in what I asked in the beginning saying no AMD info, and then you continue with it. I think it will be fairly amusing in about 5 years or so when another company pops up with a faster better and CHEAPER chip than AMD, and you will tell everyone to get that.

End of Post

Wow! Finally you tell us what model P4 it is then you go off ranting that you want the thread closed?

I think you need to look at your own behaviour before bitching at us.

fkdup74
01-10-2005, 04:14 PM
oops.......scratch what i said about 478 mobos then :P

but yeah they got 775 mobos too :P

musicmaster
01-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Wow! Finally you tell us what model P4 it is then you go off ranting that you want the thread closed?

I think you need to look at your own behaviour before bitching at us.

My behaviour is appropriate based on many of the infantile responses I have receieved thus far. The only decent one seemed to be from clocker and fkdup.

You know... if you guys pay a little more attention to what people are asking and dont say this is good go with this ONLY because I use it... then you might get a better response from people who are initiating the threads. And, they might take your advice.

But, saying things like "dont be ignorant" "we keep seeing the same things in here" etc... dont you get it? Arent you understanding why you are getting the same responses??? You push your propoganda on people instead of giving them sound advice as to why you think the AMD would be a better purchase etc, than the Pentium, but you dont do that and get this:

I didnt want AMD, I said that... I say it now... and I will say it again... so lay off !!!!

freak
01-11-2005, 03:17 AM
Maybe you should word your posts better then! Hell theres 38 posts and on the 33rd post you finally give the model of "your" P4. When at first you said you did not have it "yet" but now you do?!

My suggestion is look for a board yourself! Since you don't want the input. But it also makes me question should you even be building a puter when you can't make a simple choice by yourself and decide which is better for you!

lol @ Adster

musicmaster
01-11-2005, 03:27 AM
Maybe you should word your posts better then! Hell theres 38 posts and on the 33rd post you finally give the model of "your" P4. When at first you said you did not have it "yet" but now you do?!

My suggestion is look for a board yourself! Since you don't want the input. But it also makes me question should you even be building a puter when you can't make a simple choice by yourself and decide which is better for you!

HUH? I have an AMD already, where have you been? This whole thread was just started to get idiots like you to expose yourself for what you are. Now, if someone who really needs help, comes here to get it... you might wanna just STFU and not respond because you are making yourself look idiotic.

AMD PWNS!!!!! Long live Athlon, The queen is dead btw :w00t: :w00t:

bigdawgfoxx
01-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Thanks. Btw, just curious, how much did you pay for your 2310mhz athlon?

$80 ;) and my friend has a 2.5Ghz Athlon for $80 ;)

peat moss
01-11-2005, 04:41 AM
Wow I really missed the party ! So its a p4 have you decided on the mobo yet? Or are you still looking ? :)

peat moss
01-11-2005, 04:48 AM
There are a few good reviews here !

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2293

musicmaster
01-11-2005, 04:51 AM
Why did the pirate fail the spelling bee?

He only knew two words Ayyyyyyyyyeeeeee and Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Thanks Peat... I appreciate the info and help

I got that http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2293 link and another link for Tom's I believe it was...on another forum.

Cheers :D

{I}{K}{E}
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Closed.

This sections is not for useless threads ( use the lounge for that.)

threads that are not hardware related will be removed.

Off-topic replies will be deleted from threads

RPerry
01-11-2005, 08:27 AM
hey Ike, just wanted to let you know I'm already on it ;)