PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Please, Windows Install fucked...

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 10:30 AM
I am so fucking close to killing this pc now. Was all gravy untill i rebooted, then it refused to boot. So i did a repair install and noW it says System did not finnish installing. And the partion table has been fucked with. Meaning no partion tool (iv tried 6) or the windows install disc (or my advent one for that matter) will partion it without deleting all of my partions on all hdd's.

Im having the fucking run Linux Live, iv got a fucking paper in for today (i'll just call sick tho) and i need to get to my fucking windows files (linux cannot read NTFS file systems)

Tifosi
01-10-2005, 10:34 AM
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html

Might help...

muchspl2
01-10-2005, 10:51 AM
fdisk is your friend :)

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 10:53 AM
fdisk is your friend :)

Tried, along with partion magic 8, and 5 other things. iv tried 3 different types of Fdisc as well. Its all on a boot disc i have. It has 99 usefull non windows tools but all of them show it fucked becuase of the partion table is messed. menaing i would loose 120gb of un burned dvdrs. 50 gb of movies, 40gb of music all my work and everything :angry:

100%
01-10-2005, 10:54 AM
If i can't boot i always use this method, and its worked everytime..so far
(although you should have done the following methd Before repair installing.

Start your PC with the 6 XP install disks. which you can get here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=&freetext=boot+disk&DisplayLang=en (choose Home or Pro) (its a pain in the ass method-six disks(make sure the floppies are formatted)

Select Repair ® option.
Go to the DOS prompt.
Now type "chkdsk /r" (space after Chkdsk without " ")and enter leave it to finish. Now restart by typing "exit" and press enter. It should work.

if it doesn't

Type chkdsk /p /r + enter. When check disk is finished, type fixmbr + enter.

If it doesnt - type "chkdsk /p" and enter. If it finishes. type "fixboot X:" (X being the drive letter windows is installed on, it's usually C, but sometimes it can be a virtual drive like E). Next press enter.

Finally type exit to restart. It should work.

Good luck

In total disaster situations you will always be able to retrieve the files, even if you delete the partition or format the partition...whith ontrack easy recovery
but seriously avoid this...
Take your time - this is solvable

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 11:05 AM
If i can't boot i always use this method, and its worked everytime..so far
(although you should have done the following methd Before repair installing.

Good luck

In total disaster situations you will always be able to retrieve the files, even if you delete the partition or format the partition...whith ontrack easy recovery
but seriously avoid this...
Take your time - this is solvable

I'll give that ago now. I wouldnt be so pissed off if i could just format C: and still have all my download and work data. As iv formatted 3 times in the last two days anyway (pc got a virus) However the C: partion has been formatted a few times and had data re-writen onto it. And the virii is gone.

I can setup windows again in a quick tiem i dont give a shit baout thats, its my work and my downloads i care about, as iv got a 13 page project thats in for today that needs finnishing.

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 11:29 AM
BTW what do those commands going to do to my pc? Just so i know. Just formatted 6 discs and about to try.

100%
01-10-2005, 11:31 AM
If you know exactly where your files are
then it is always possible to copy thenm over to another partition.
I suck at msdos so youll have to find the correct language
but in this case i had to fix shell32.dll

1. Boot to Recovery Console.(same method with the discs see above)

2 . type the following commands
c:\ [enter]
copy c:\windows\backup\SHELL32.DLL c:\windows\system32
hit enter

3 Type EXIT and hit enter

I think if you type for example
C:\Documents and Settings\"yourusername"\My Documents
then type expand itll show everything listed there
so iguess you could transfer everything from my docs to lets say partition G:\ or even to your floppy A:\
but with the size of files you want to copy....but maybe you could atleast extract the vital small ones for now

this msdos is tricky...im sure there is another simpler way.

100%
01-10-2005, 11:35 AM
BTW what do those commands going to do to my pc? Just so i know. Just formatted 6 discs and about to try.

Its completly safe, they scan for errors, and fix errors, if it works, your boot will be set to default settings, and you may loose some tweaks you may have done -
see this link - Recovery Consolehttp://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techref/en-us/W2K3TR_ReCon_Tools.asp

Chkdsk

Creates and displays a status report for the disk. The chkdsk command also lists and corrects errors on the disk.

The chkdsk command with the parameters listed below is only available when you are using the Recovery Console The chkdsk command with different parameters is available from the command prompt.

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.
drive:
Specifies the drive that you want chkdsk to check.

/p

Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

/r

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Okay but i think the thing that is wrong with them is the partion table ( a little table that shows where each partion and file starts and ends) In partion magic i cannot do anything with my first hdd becuase it says partion table is fucked.

100%
01-10-2005, 11:38 AM
so you CAN get into windows?:blink:

if so dont bother with any of the above, it just fixes your boot sector , partitions is a different story

I thought you couldnt boot....sorry, wasted space.. :ph34r:

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 11:41 AM
I can't boot. I have a special boot cd that has 99 helpfull tools. So i can load partion magic without windows and such. I cannot boot windows.

100%
01-10-2005, 11:52 AM
ok then the primary post should work
enjoy loading the disks :lol:
done it countless times

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 11:53 AM
ok then the primary post should work
enjoy loading the disks :lol:
done it countless times

Primary post? As in the stuff in your first post yeah?

100%
01-10-2005, 12:17 PM
yes

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Didnt work :(

chkdsk just said some is fucked and cannot be repaired.

fixmbr warned me that i could loose all my data if i did it so i canceled.

And fixboot c: just wrote something then when i try and boot now it says system file missing.

Tifosi
01-10-2005, 12:43 PM
Did you look at the link I posted?

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Also Windows setup has no c drive any more on my first disc, it also doesnt have my other 3 partions. All it shows is one partion (fat) which is 130gb and only has 10mb free. It also shows no unsured/free/unpartioned space. Even though the disc is 160gb.

I also cannot install windows on my second hdd. If gives out an error.

Yes i looked at the link and although it looked like i might be able to view my ntfs partions i could not understand how to, and i need an exptreamly quick fix, even if it is not perminant.

Tifosi
01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic6502.html

100%
01-10-2005, 12:54 PM
too bad - it must be extremly serious
which did it say which system file is missing?
if so this is possible to replace using the copy from a: method (as long as it isn't 100s of files missing)

do you also know exactly where your project is located on your hardrive?

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic6502.html
Whats a linux kernal? And i mount what? All im using is a linux live boot cd that iv booted up twice. I have no knowledge of linux whatsoever

15% can't remember it said something like I***.SYS

I'll have a look again...

Tifosi
01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Think of the kernel as basically the process that's running all the time and 'controls' the operation of the OS. I've not used any of the linux live discs and have never used linux myself.

100%
01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
in the meantime peerzy have you looked on google...http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=partition+cant+boot&spell=1

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 02:04 PM
How much % of the data will i be able to recover if i do a quick format?

fkdup74
01-10-2005, 02:18 PM
How much % of the data will i be able to recover if i do a quick format?

if you format you lose everything on the disc/partition

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 02:20 PM
if you format you lose everything on the disc/partition

Yes but you can recover alot of it if you do not write any more data to the disc.

Another option is i had some shitty like 8gb hdd's so i put one of them in as master install windows and then try and sort things out from there.

Im on a windows pc now so im not having to fuck around with linux.

fkdup74
01-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Meaning no partion tool (iv tried 6) or the windows install disc (or my advent one for that matter) will partion it without deleting all of my partions on all hdd's.

that just doesnt seem right dude
even the windows disc gives you the option of what partition to mess with
i'd say go with an acronis boot disk, never failed me, but....
if you dont have it already, i dont know...
dont look like youre in a position to be able to dl it

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Im on my second pc, thats got a 1.5mb net connecton so i can download.

Yeah its changed now, it does not show my partions it shows one partion on my first hdd with 130gb used and 10mb free, which for some fucked reason its saying is FAT (not even FAT32). (the disc is 160gb though and it shows no 'unpartioned space') and my second disc it shows one partion (normal).

That boot disc looks nice, but on there site it says Price: $49.99, any chance you have a cracked version and can upload it? (http://s5.yousendit.com/)

fkdup74
01-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Im on my second pc, thats got a 1.5mb net connecton so i can download.

Yeah its changed now, it does not show my partions it shows one partion on my first hdd with 130gb used and 10mb free, which for some fucked reason its saying is FAT (not even FAT32). (the disc is 160gb though and it shows no 'unpartioned space') and my second disc it shows one partion (normal).

That boot disc looks nice, but on there site it says Price: $49.99, any chance you have a cracked version and can upload it? (http://s5.yousendit.com/)

yeah i just caught a little more of the prob reading back
this sounds baaaaaaad :(
but yeah i can do ya an ISO of the boot disk, no prob
i dont have BT installed atm, so if you can log into slsk that'd probably be quicker
i will just need a few mins. to make the iso and share it

-edit- i just saw your link :P
i'll try that, the ISO wont be too big

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 02:36 PM
yeah i just caught a little more of the prob reading back
this sounds baaaaaaad :(
but yeah i can do ya an ISO of the boot disk, no prob
i dont have BT installed atm, so if you can log into slsk that'd probably be quicker
i will just need a few mins. to make the iso and share it

Don't have slsk or any apps on this pc and cannot install, thats why i asked if you could upload it though that website (its legal they cannot trace you or even look at your files) and pm me the linkage.

gildan2020
01-10-2005, 02:40 PM
ok, looks like nuthin works for u and since ur desperate...
take out the hdd, bang on ur fren's door...beg for ur fren's help

that's the only way i can think of that may help u...

gildan2020

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 02:42 PM
ok, looks like nuthin works for u and since ur desperate...
take out the hdd, bang on ur fren's door...beg for ur fren's help

that's the only way i can think of that may help u...

gildan2020

Whats a fren's, and where can i buy one :unsure:

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Install the 8 GB drive as Master and install Windows on it. Shut down and connect the newer drive as a slave to retreve your data. Backup everything you want to keep (you should have already done this before) then use killdisk or something similar to erase the drive. Drive makers have drive diagnostic utilities. Download one and do a drive diagnostic.

100%
01-10-2005, 02:53 PM
1.Peerzy did you find it out which Core files you where missing?
2.The main reason why this is urgent is because you need some files for a project you need to hand in. So instead of trying to fix the entire system in a rush, try to remember where the project filesare, this should not be too difficult to retrieve if there not too big.
3.Before giving up and formatting, i seriously advise you to,post on other forums and wait for answers, people are still at jobs or sleeping, give it a day or two.
I am quit certain this problem is solvable
if worst comes to worst and you HAVE to format, pm me and ill send you the program to retrieve files from a partitioned drive (and no you wont get everything back, but alot(no garantuee)

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 02:59 PM
1.Peerzy did you find it out which Core files you where missing?
2.The main reason why this is urgent is because you need some files for a project you need to hand in. So instead of trying to fix the entire system in a rush, try to remember where the project filesare, this should not be too difficult to retrieve if there not too big.
3.Before giving up and formatting, i seriously advise you to,post on other forums and wait for answers, people are still at jobs or sleeping, give it a day or two.
I am quit certain this problem is solvable
if worst comes to worst and you HAVE to format, pm me and ill send you the program to retrieve files from a partitioned drive (and no you wont get everything back, but alot(no garantuee)

1) No, windows no longer even attempts to boots, the pc just stops after checking if there is media in the cd drives.
2) File is at least 25mb, i can if worse comes to worse talk my way into a few weeks extension maybe.
3) Iv already asked on another forum yes.
4) Luckly all my work, favourites, my pictures and settings files are on a usb drive as i formatted a day ago. Its just this one piece of work i needed to delete from the drive for space.

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Well tried taking out both drives and put them one at a time into my working pc and both times it caused my pc to refuse to boot. So iv done as VB1234 susgested, so im on my new pc, on a 20gb hdd with a brand new windows install. Im using Norton Ghost to create an image so hopefully i won't have to conintually make 100's of installs and do all that bullshit.

I'll put my hdd's into the new pc soon but as my old pc refused the boot with them in (i tried both drives on master and slave and even tried a brand new ide cable.)

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Okay tried hdd's in new pc and still no luck. Niether my new or old pc will boot if i connect either of my hdd's. I get an error right after it checks for cd media. the error just says something is wrong shutdown.

Snee
01-10-2005, 07:19 PM
I am so fucking close to killing this pc now. Was all gravy untill i rebooted, then it refused to boot. So i did a repair install and noW it says System did not finnish installing. And the partion table has been fucked with. Meaning no partion tool (iv tried 6) or the windows install disc (or my advent one for that matter) will partion it without deleting all of my partions on all hdd's.

Im having the fucking run Linux Live, iv got a fucking paper in for today (i'll just call sick tho) and i need to get to my fucking windows files (linux cannot read NTFS file systems)
Linux can read them, just not write to them, if you have the latest kernel.

What Live CD would that be?

Edit: I could read from ntfs no prob with knoppix 3.6 I think it was.

EDit2: the kernel is the part of the os that interfaces directly with the hardware, kind of a core the rest of the os depends on. Every os has a kernel, the question is whether yours doesn't have one new enough to interface with discs using ntfs.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html knoppix

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 07:49 PM
I have Knoppix 3.6 Live....although i don't have clue how to use it... i'll have another go with it now.

Can it read FAT as well? As the only way i would be able to tranfer data from the drives is to a shitty USB drive.

BTW While the pc posts it correctly names the hdd thats in there, but if its either of the two i had in my pc then the pc will simply refuse to boot.

Snee
01-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I have Knoppix 3.6 Live....although i don't have clue how to use it... i'll have another go with it now.

Can it read FAT as well? As the only way i would be able to tranfer data from the drives is to a shitty USB drive.

BTW While the pc posts it correctly names the hdd thats in there, but if its either of the two i had in my pc then the pc will simply refuse to boot.
It can most certainly read FAT, yes.
Try playing around with the boot options on knoppix, or the cheat codes as they are called, fb1024x768 for a laptop, for example.

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Well i booted it up and it mounted and i could view my files on my usb Fat drive all nice and cool, it also showed 1 hdd on the destop (not sure whcih one, my okay 20gb with windows or the fucked one) but alas i couldnt mount it. And the ntfs wizard needed files that MS wouldnt let me download.

EDIT: Anyone know anything about the Master Boot record? I went into a shop and told the guy that my pc wouldnt boot and he jumped in right away and said it was my master boot record and it would be 1-2 hours word and cost £60 :ohmy: , he didnt even give me chance to explain the situation properly so im not sure if he's talkng bullshit to get my money.

Snee
01-10-2005, 08:29 PM
If it shows up on the desktop all you should have to do is double click it, worked fine for me.

It should work fine in read only.

EDit: I think it sounds like your partitions may indeed be corrupted, and yeah, the mbr may be too. The xp disc lets you do fix mbr or fixboot, or whatever it is, it didn't work very well for me tho'.

I had some other rescue tools a while ago which I got for someone else, winternal or systernal's disc I think it was, dunno' how good it is.

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 08:30 PM
If it shows up on the desktop all you should have to do is double click it, worked fine for me.

It should work fine in read only.

Yeah its there, and i double click and it gives an error saying cannot mount :unsure:

Anyone know anything about the Master Boot record? I went into a shop and told the guy that my pc wouldnt boot and he jumped in right away and said it was my master boot record and it would be 1-2 hours word and cost £60 , he didnt even give me chance to explain the situation properly so im not sure if he's talkng bullshit to get my money.

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Right i don't give a shit anymore, either way this isnt gonna get sorted soon enough, so i might as well face the shit and start re-doing my project and other files. Anyone know a way i can kill these discs so they ar elike brand new. Right now i can't find anything that will read them so i can not format them :fuckingpissedoff:

Gonna try some boot cd's and such....

Snee
01-10-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't help, if they work the same in your other 'puter too, I'm stumped. I tried looking around here http://www.ntfs.com/ but there was really nothing new.

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't help, if they work the same in your other 'puter too, I'm stumped. I tried looking around here http://www.ntfs.com/ but there was really nothing new.

Thanks for all the help :) yeah same on the other computer, still refused to boot. I don't care about the data any more, it can over time be replace, Over 400gb worth of hdd from my wallet will not be so easly replaced, especially as in close to broke.

Snee
01-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Well, if it's only the mbr and the partition table that are busted, it should still be possible to remove the partition(s) altogether, I think. Even the xp disc should be able to do that, at least I think so as it worked for me. (then you can just make a new partition.)

But it'll be harder to recover any files.

DanB
01-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Maybe give teh shop man a whirl?

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Maybe give teh shop man a whirl?

No money, all that xmas bud is catching up :( , plus i just told him the pc wouldnt boot and i couldnt get windows to work and he started talking about stuff iv never heard of before, saying it would take him ages and would cost me alot :unsure:

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Well tried taking out both drives and put them one at a time into my working pc and both times it caused my pc to refuse to boot. So iv done as VB1234 susgested, so im on my new pc, on a 20gb hdd with a brand new windows install. Im using Norton Ghost to create an image so hopefully i won't have to conintually make 100's of installs and do all that bullshit.

I'll put my hdd's into the new pc soon but as my old pc refused the boot with them in (i tried both drives on master and slave and even tried a brand new ide cable.)
Sorry but what you say is very unclear to me.

You say you did as I suggested? Could you "see" the data on the drive?

Peerzy
01-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Sorry but what you say is very unclear to me.

You say you did as I suggested? Could you "see" the data on the drive?

I did as you said, got a new fresh 20gb drive and installed windows on it, runs fine im using it right now to post this. The second i connect either of my other hdd's (the 250gb and the 160gb) BAM! the pc refuses to boot up windows. iv tried, doing it as master and slave, iv tried different positions in the case, a whole new IDE cable. I even tried it in a whole different pc. As soon as i plug either or those two drives into any pc the pc refuses to boot. No program can view the data or even see the disc and i cannot find a way to format it.

4play
01-10-2005, 10:58 PM
true tales of knoppix coming to the rescue. it also recomends a few tools that maybe able to help you.
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/02/knpxhks_1.html

sorry i have not read the whole thread yet but i wanted to give you something to do before you wiped the drive.

edit: gpart (http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/)

howto (http://linux-universe.com/HOWTO/LILO-crash-rescue-HOWTO/disk_partition_rescue.html)

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2005, 11:27 PM
What model HDD is it? Have you tried the drive diagnostics?

sammydee
01-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Only thing I can think of to mess up a HDD this bad is if you have a problem with your BIOS. I have heard that there are viruses around that can take root in your bios and play all kinds of havoc with your pc. If you wanted to risk it you could maybe try the broken HDD in another pc entirely?

Will your BIOS recognise the broken drive?

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Only thing I can think of to mess up a HDD this bad is if you have a problem with your BIOS. I have heard that there are viruses around that can take root in your bios and play all kinds of havoc with your pc. If you wanted to risk it you could maybe try the broken HDD in another pc entirely?

Will your BIOS recognise the broken drive?

Iv tried on two different pc's.

250gb = Maxtor
160gb = Hitachi Deskstar

No VB1234 havnt tried yet as i cannot get anything but the bios to even noticed they are there.

@4play - I'll have a read thanks, and "before you format" i can't even fucking format :angry:

lynx
01-11-2005, 10:10 AM
If all else fails and you really want to wipe the disks, try the attached prog. You can only run it from a DOS boot disk, there are instructions enclosed.

It just wipes the first 128 sectors so it is very fast, but it is enough to make any utilities think the disk is blank.

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 10:38 AM
If all else fails and you really want to wipe the disks, try the attached prog. You can only run it from a DOS boot disk, there are instructions enclosed.

It just wipes the first 128 sectors so it is very fast, but it is enough to make any utilities think the disk is blank.

Thanks, Im gonna give it a try! Lucky its only DOS, windos refuses to boot with either disc attached :(

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Update:

Tried with the 160gb and it sapped it, i then went into partion magic and it showed it there so i formatted it to NTFS, however my 20gb refuses to boot while the 160gb is attached, even though its formatted now. So still the same problems i can just see the partion in DOS programs now. I tried to KillDisk it but waited like 30mins and it didnt even do 1%. When i boot them together in the BIOS it shows:

Master: NONE
SLAVE: @

But then i take out the Slave and it shows the master 20gb drive.

The 250gb drive just refused to be zapped and didnt show anything in the BIOS.... i think the 250 maybe fucked...as in hardware fucked.

Snee
01-11-2005, 12:51 PM
It can't possibly be the jumper settings can it?

I remember trying to use a drive set to cable select once, together with another drive set to master, and it wouldn't let me boot at all. But nah, you know to set that right or you are using sata, right?

It sounds weird that both hd's won't work tho'. If it was just the one, hardware errors might start to seem really probable.

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 12:55 PM
It can't possibly be the jumper settings can it?

I remember trying to use a drive set to cable select once, together with another drive set to master, and it wouldn't let me boot at all. But nah, you know to set that right or you are using sata, right?

It sounds weird that both hd's won't work tho'. If it was just the one, hardware errors might start to seem really probable.

I tried with no jumpers on my 20gb and slave jumpers on the fucked hdd's i was trying, and then i tried master on the 20gb and slave on the fucked hdd and thyen i tried no jumpers on all of them :( no there all IDE. Its wierd for me as well, as if i did something and they both got fucked.

Iv got the 160gb formatted the NFSu but still refueses to boot with the 20gb in. Im currently typing as fast as i cna to type up 25 pages onto pc :dry: and backing up every paragrahy. As soon as im done later on im gonna remove the 20gb so its just got the formatted 160gb and try and install windows on it, as all my partion programs can see it and view it now ;) .

No luck on the 250gb hdd though :no: still unformattable, un viewable and only the bios even knows its there.

Snee
01-11-2005, 01:05 PM
It can't be the cable either, since you tried it on another computer and prolly used what was already in there.

This must all be very frustrating. Might not want to give up on 250GB hd yet tho', if that sapper thing is dos based it might be that it just can't handle that big a disc, maybe (although I can't figure out how it'd be so). :blink:

Anyhow, you have tried moving them from ide 0 to ide 1, and changed the boot order and things like that too by now, so if it were I, I'd have no idea what to do next. :no:

If you can get the drives to spin at all, how do they sound? Normal? Wailing?

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 01:10 PM
It can't be the cable either, since you tried it on another computer and prolly used what was already in there.

This must all be very frustrating. Might not want to give up on 250GB hd yet tho', if that sapper thing is dos based it might be that it just can't handle that big a disc, maybe (although I can't figure out how it'd be so). :blink:

Anyhow, you have tried moving them from ide 0 to ide 1, and changed the boot order and things like that too by now, so if it were I, I'd have no idea what to do next. :no:

If you can get the drives to spin at all, how do they sound? Normal? Wailing?

Both drives are silent, but thats how they should be :( , yes tried different pc, different ide cable, different power molex (i thought i could have fucked one of htem up maybe), the error i got from zap was something like Invalid section/place/whatever, i tried formatting IDE 0 and ! even though i knew it was on 1 and still no luck. Its not really the data iv lost now its the 410gb worth of hard drives that i dont have the money to replace :(

The zapper zapped the 160gb with no errors but refuses to zap 250gb :crying:

Will shaking the hdd help? or throwing it at stuff :ermm:

Snee
01-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Will shaking the hdd help? or throwing it at stuff :ermm:
Might help your nerves, but that's about it.

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 01:36 PM
Might help your nerves, but that's about it.

:helpsmili :helpsmili :helpsmili

Anyone know the answer :unsure:

fkdup74
01-11-2005, 01:42 PM
shit man....this is teh stumper of the year so far.....
what mobo are you runnin? i assume it has the LBA support or whatever it is
have you messed about in the BIOS?
im gonna take a shot in the dark and say clear CMOS and see what happens
i mean ffs youve tried everything else :huh:

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Some Intel board, this is my 'puter:

http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/Images/Articles/%7B4E802B16-DD2D-43B1-8739-3B8145CFD56C%7D/170.JPG
Advent 3519
Some Linkage (http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/layout.aspx?CatID={544f813a-2cca-423a-8d90-99a7b614f357}&ID={4e802b16-dd2d-43b1-8739-3b8145cfd56c})

fkdup74
01-11-2005, 01:49 PM
hmmm....an MSI mobo...they can be kinda touchy
can you take the 160 and get it to boot in another pc/mobo?

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 01:50 PM
hmmm....an MSI mobo...they can be kinda touchy
can you take the 160 and get it to boot in another pc/mobo?

No, same problems in a totally different AMD system.

Snee
01-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Hmm, have you tried the "on"- switch? :unsure:and was it plugged in at the time? :unsure:

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=83466 <- useful guide

fkdup74
01-11-2005, 01:53 PM
No, same problems in a totally different AMD system.

even after you got it to zap and format huh?
damn...hard to see frying two drives just like that :blink:

well if all fails...can you still RMA the drives?
or are they out of warranty already?

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 02:01 PM
even after you got it to zap and format huh?
damn...hard to see frying two drives just like that :blink:

well if all fails...can you still RMA the drives?
or are they out of warranty already?

The 160gb was OEM, and the 250gb came with this pc that i brought off a person. No the 250gb still does the same and refuses to be zapped. The 160gb has been zapped but refuses to boot with anything else in there with it.

@SnnY - Im not sure....my other pc does kinda look like the second picture, but i dont have a cat :unsure:

100%
01-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Wow...peerzy its still not fixed.....
by the end of this thread you will know every pcfix trick on this planet
and youll be able to start your own company.

Good luck, hope you find the solution, but post solutiion if you do.

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Wow...peerzy its still not fixed.....
by the end of this thread you will know every pcfix trick on this planet
and youll be able to start your own company.

Good luck, hope you find the solution, but post solutiion if you do.

yeah i will, so anyone know how to totally wipe a drive that no program can read :unsure:

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 11:30 PM
PC now refuses to boot at all with the 160gb in. It just stays on the advent screen. The advent screen apears before the BIOS screens.

Peerzy
01-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Bump :crying:

fkdup74
01-12-2005, 03:53 PM
damn peerzy...this really sux...wish i could think of a magic trick or somethin...
cause it looks like every other trick isnt workin :blink:

me, i would just disconnect the drives...load out my rifle...
nah somehow i dont think a bullet through the drives would do it either :P

if you havent done so yet, try f00kin about in the BIOS
check all your IDE options, see if theyre fkd :unsure:
but i dunno, seeing as how the drives wont go in another pc....

Peerzy
01-12-2005, 04:29 PM
damn peerzy...this really sux...wish i could think of a magic trick or somethin...
cause it looks like every other trick isnt workin :blink:

me, i would just disconnect the drives...load out my rifle...
nah somehow i dont think a bullet through the drives would do it either :P

if you havent done so yet, try f00kin about in the BIOS
check all your IDE options, see if theyre fkd :unsure:
but i dunno, seeing as how the drives wont go in another pc....#

Iv tried the BIOS stuff its all good and i fucked with it for a bit
:angry:

sammydee
01-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Have you tried wiping the bios? There should be a jumper somewhere on the motherboard that you can move and then it will wipe it but u'll have to ask somebody else where it might be... my PC's a home built job.

Peerzy
01-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Have you tried wiping the bios? There should be a jumper somewhere on the motherboard that you can move and then it will wipe it but u'll have to ask somebody else where it might be... my PC's a home built job.

I did consider this but then i asked myself why would it not work on other pc's as wel :unsure:

sammydee
01-12-2005, 06:40 PM
messed about with the jumper settings on the drive? if its already fucked what have you got to lose?

Peerzy
01-12-2005, 07:07 PM
messed about with the jumper settings on the drive? if its already fucked what have you got to lose?

Done that, iv tried no jumpers, iv tried as slave, iv tried as master iv tried random positions :no: