PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

sammydee
01-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, and the whole p2p idea, and so I've just got a coupla questions... if you guys woudn't mind answering a few that'd be great. If they have already been answered in previous posts (which I'm sure that quite a few have) then please feel free to redirect me to the right post. Thanks :D

1. I apologise if I blaspheme, but it was before my time - What is (or was) Napster?
2. Who funds p2p networks like Winmx where there are no adverts? Somebody has to pay for the servers, and there are not even any "donate" button, so where does the money come from?
3. Why does everybody slag off kazaa so much?
4. How do "fake" files come into existence - surely people wouldn't deliberately keep them on their pc?
5. I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here...I'm sure I'll get some conflicting answrs... but which is the BEST all round p2p transfer network/program/application/thingy?

Ta.

Spam-King
01-10-2005, 11:37 PM
1. Basicly its what bitttorrent is today
2. --
3. because of the fakes, viruses, spyware and adware in most of the files
4. people are too dumb to delete them
5. Bittorent

lee551
01-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Hey guys. I'm new to the forum, and the whole p2p idea, and so I've just got a coupla questions... if you guys woudn't mind answering a few that'd be great. If they have already been answered in previous posts (which I'm sure that quite a few have) then please feel free to redirect me to the right post. Thanks :D

1. I apologise if I blaspheme, but it was before my time - What is (or was) Napster?
2. Who funds p2p networks like Winmx where there are no adverts? Somebody has to pay for the servers, and there are not even any "donate" button, so where does the money come from?
3. Why does everybody slag off kazaa so much?
4. How do "fake" files come into existence - surely people wouldn't deliberately keep them on their pc?
5. I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here...I'm sure I'll get some conflicting answrs... but which is the BEST all round p2p transfer network/program/application/thingy?

Ta.

1. napster was like a first-gen p2p program. its like a less-functional kazaa. one thing i remember was that there was no pause button for the downloads. :lol:
2. they're made by companies. some are made by groups of people too, dont cost anything then.
3. kazaa has become full of fake files, viruses & spyware. it pales in comparison to many newer p2p programs.
4. they are distributed by companies paid by the RIAA
5. a few good all-around ones: ares, limewire, & emule

muchspl2
01-11-2005, 01:36 AM
newsgroups are the best IMO but its not really p2p its leeching, unless you post a file.

sammydee
01-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks

lightshow
01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Napster did not support mult-source downloading, and also it could only search for music files.

Skiz
01-12-2005, 05:17 PM
Welcome to FST :01:

nsane
01-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Napster did not support mult-source downloading, and also it could only search for music files.
ever hear of Wrapster? :P

it added an MP3 header to a file of your selection (zip, exe, jpg, whatever) at which napster would detect as a music file. i downloaded photoshop 6 off napster ;)

lee551
01-13-2005, 04:16 AM
ever hear of Wrapster? :P

it added an MP3 header to a file of your selection (zip, exe, jpg, whatever) at which napster would detect as a music file. i downloaded photoshop 6 off napster ;)

wow! that brings back memories. i remember some of my friends telling me about it. i never did get to use it, but it always sounded cool.

sammydee
01-13-2005, 03:38 PM
When was napster? Back in the days when everyone had dialup (as opposed to just me)?

nsane
01-13-2005, 05:11 PM
it was back in '99-'01 (i think) :unsure: