PDA

View Full Version : compatabile inks

Livy
01-10-2005, 10:43 PM
just wondering if there are any downsides to using compatabile ink instead of originals, ive just bought a set of 6 (3 black, 3 colour) for my new canon, ip2000 for £7.75

tesco
01-10-2005, 11:16 PM
In Epson printers (some of them, not all) the print carriage\print heads (something like that) gets clogged up after a while and u need to clean it.

But other than that if it works you won't have any problems.

Is the print quality the same?

Livy
01-10-2005, 11:35 PM
dont know, dont have the printer or inks yet. just wondering if there is any problems to using them, dont want to knacker my new printer.

im using an old hand me down canon which is a bit on the blink. its got compatabile inks in it. never really had any problems with the compatabile inks i used in my old epson,

Storm
01-10-2005, 11:37 PM
the only real problem with 3rd party inks is that it makes your wallet alot heavier.......

Livy
01-10-2005, 11:43 PM
the only real problem with 3rd party inks is that it makes your wallet alot heavier.......
yeah i know, :shifty:

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-11-2005, 05:23 AM
I think 3rd party inks are just fine, the only problem i have ever had was with this piece of shit epson i have. It clogs up badly using 3rd party ink. I now have a cannon, but i havent had the chance to try 3rd party ink in it. But i suspect it will be fine (fuck epson, they suck, and so does their tech support)

Storm
01-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I think 3rd party inks are just fine, the only problem i have ever had was with this piece of shit epson i have. It clogs up badly using 3rd party ink. I now have a cannon, but i havent had the chance to try 3rd party ink in it. But i suspect it will be fine (fuck epson, they suck, and so does their tech support)

epson has great printers, but theyre more for (semi) professionals.........

good quality printing, most DTP'ers i know swear by them

lynx
01-11-2005, 10:36 AM
It is important to make sure you get the right inks for your printer model, even with compatibles. Not only are there subtle differences in the pigment colours, there are also differences in particle size and if you get the wrong ones you can clog the print heads.

Epson printers seem to be especially at risk if you use ink intended for HP printers, particularly if you switch from one to the other without cleaning out the small reservoir above heads first. There's some solvent you can get to clean the heads if you've screwed them by doing something like that.

I don't do much printing myself but I have the same sort of results with compatibles as I get with originals, that's on an Epson C60. My brother uses about 3 black carts and one colour per month on an Epson C62. He ALWAYS uses compatibles from the same source and has no problems at all, except when he first changed over. He had to use the solvent I mentioned above, but since then everything has been fine.

Livy
01-11-2005, 04:07 PM
the cartriges i bought were bci-24 which is what the printer takes, should be ok.
just waiting on them both coming so i can try it. :)

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-11-2005, 09:41 PM

epson has great printers, but theyre more for (semi) professionals.........

good quality printing, most DTP'ers i know swear by them

I would tend to agree with you, because youre right, the print quality is excellent, but if you dont use the printer on an almost constant basis, it clogs and prints like shit for about half an hour or so, or you have to use the nozzle utility, which wastes ink, and at near 50 bucks for ink, i hate to waste it. Hopefully the cannon i just got will suit my needs better than the epson.

lynx
01-12-2005, 01:11 AM
and at near 50 bucks for ink, i hate to waste it. So would I, that's why I get compats at about £7 (about $12) a pair.

There's also a third party utility for Epson printers (sscserve) for cleaning just the black or colour cart if the other one is ok, and it can also reset ink levels on some chipped carts if you like to refill your own. Google (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sscserve&start=0) for it if you want it.

Livy
01-12-2005, 02:17 AM
i think lexmark win the game on the most expensive inks, and ive not seen any compatabile inks for them either