PDA

View Full Version : Do U copy rented DVDs?

worldpease
01-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Hi, does anyone here makes copys of the DVDs you rent from Bockbuster or any other Store?

Darth Sushi
01-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Why ask such a question in a pirate forum?

worldpease
01-11-2005, 04:45 AM
Well, Im just curius about how many people still use that method

Skiz
01-11-2005, 05:14 AM
still

Is there something better??

I do. I have an account with Hollywood Video where I get unlimited rentals for $10/month. I have quite the movie collection :01:

worldpease
01-11-2005, 05:44 AM
It is just that I do copy the movies I rent,
and well, as I said earlier, I started wondering, as you might know by now happens with me, I wonder abou everything, ...lol.

cpt_azad
01-11-2005, 05:51 AM
as for me, yes i do, but only the crap or not "worth it's cost" ones, the good movies i buy because well i want an original collection, not a rip collection. speaking of which i think i have close to 200 original dvd's, and 100-120 rips thanks to rogers video and blockbuster.

sameer0807
01-11-2005, 06:23 AM
I normally download the DVD-rip movies from internet (BT) then burn it on the DVD.
Put some original label on the DVD, Print original DVD case inserts...and finally I have DVD which looks like i have bought them!

ofbz
01-11-2005, 06:31 AM
i don't do that... its illegal....

i just get the divx rip from the net... lol

(nah... i just haven't mastered the methods yet....)

{I}{K}{E}
01-11-2005, 08:30 AM
yes.

it is legal if you do it for school projects etc.. :01:

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 08:43 AM
I normally download the DVD-rip movies from internet (BT) then burn it on the DVD.
Put some original label on the DVD, Print original DVD case inserts...and finally I have DVD which looks like i have bought them!

Apart rom no menu's, special features and low-ish quality (compared to original) video. Bitrate on DVD('s are in the 7000-8000, Xvid dvdrips are usually about 1200 :rolleyes:

Tifosi
01-11-2005, 11:58 AM
I honestly can't tell the difference between a good xvid dvd rip on a decent TV with a decent DVD player and the original DVD. The huge difference in bitrate is irrelevant really, it's how the video looks that matters.

Gre1
01-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah I think I copy rented DVD i'm not sure :lol:

Peerzy
01-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I honestly can't tell the difference between a good xvid dvd rip on a decent TV with a decent DVD player and the original DVD. The huge difference in bitrate is irrelevant really, it's how the video looks that matters.

Zoom in ever so slightly or stand near the tv, ARHHHHHHHHHHH pixal hell

nsane
01-11-2005, 04:32 PM
i copy movies from blockbuster :)

i actually have friends that work there so i get all the movies that aren't out yet. like i just copied catwoman, the forgotten, fiday night lights, and a few others :D :P

Busyman
01-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Hollywood Video $10 a month
Netflix $18 a month

As soon as I get a movie, I rip it and drop it back in the mail (Netflix) and take it back to the store the next day (Hollywood), sometimes the same day.

Blockbuster is too expensive in comparison. :dry:

nsane
01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
the blockbuster online pass is $14 a month (cheaper than netflix) :blink:

and unlike hollywood, there pass doesn't have late fees and you can use it on new releases ;)

i get em for free, so i could care less :P

Busyman
01-11-2005, 05:26 PM
the blockbuster online pass is $14 a month (cheaper than netflix) :blink:

and unlike hollywood, there pass doesn't have late fees and you can use it on new releases ;)

i get em for free, so i could care less :P
I thought you were referring to the B&M store.

Also Blockbuster Online dropped there price rather recently in response to Netflix.

BlockBuster Online has a shit collection in comparison.

As far as new releases, those are too easy to come by. I want to get the older obscure movies which BB Online falters.

nsane
01-11-2005, 05:47 PM
that's because netflix dropped their price in response to BB's online pass. it's just a big loop, one goes lower than the other, then the other does the same :lol:

have you actually tried their online pass? cause i know for a fact (being an ex-employee and all) that their inventory is ALOT bigger than netflix :lol:

plus, they're about to merge the Movie Pass & the Online Pass into 1 program. which means netflix is fuhcked with no physical stores ;)

Busyman
01-11-2005, 06:34 PM
that's because netflix dropped their price in response to BB's online pass. it's just a big loop, one goes lower than the other, then the other does the same :lol:

have you actually tried their online pass? cause i know for a fact (being an ex-employee and all) that their inventory is ALOT bigger than netflix :lol:

plus, they're about to merge the Movie Pass & the Online Pass into 1 program. which means netflix is fuhcked with no physical stores ;)
Yes I have tried it but......if they merge the two then I'm switchin'. ;)

Netflix has the biggest online library period. I have looked for the obscure many a time to only find it on Netflix. BB has been playing online catch-up.

I don't have to be an ex-employee. I know first-hand from browsing and read video store trade journals.

Nevertheless, all that aside, if BB merges the two, they will crush Netflix.

The only thing Netflix could do is lower the price more.

edit: Damn man, I do remember reading about the merging but hell, that was about 2 months ago. I read it in Video Store magazine.

When are they actually gonna do it?

3RA1N1AC
01-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Netflix has the biggest online library period. I have looked for the obscure many a time to only find it on Netflix. BB has been playing online catch-up.
netflix has it all. well maybe not all. but most of it. :P

busy, you say you have the hollywood mvp rental plan and they let you get a different movie every day? i looked at the brochure a while ago and it only said there's a 7-day limit per rental or sumfin like that, so i was kinda confused about how often you could rent on that plan. i might wanna cancel my hollywood game rental plan and start the mvp one... i ran out of games i wanna try at my local h-wood.

Busyman
01-11-2005, 07:23 PM
netflix has it all. well maybe not all. but most of it. :P

busy, you say you have the hollywood mvp rental plan and they let you get a different movie every day? i looked at the brochure a while ago and it only said there's a 7-day limit per rental or sumfin like that, so i was kinda confused about how often you could rent on that plan. i might wanna cancel my hollywood game rental plan and start the mvp one... i ran out of games i wanna try at my local h-wood.
Limit? The only limit is most new releases.

worldpease
01-11-2005, 08:11 PM
About cost, well, here in Tj, I rent the new release for $25 pesos, ($2.50 Dlls), or I rent two new releases for $5 US Dlls andthe third one is free, so, I take them home, rip them and take them back the next day.
But some times (very often if girls are arround), the store guy gives me a wrong movie, but I take it home, and if its good, I rip it imidiatly, then take it back and ask for the right movie I wanted in the beggining, lol.

How much is a movie rent where you live?

nsane
01-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Limit? The only limit is most new releases.
and you still have late fees :P

and about the merge, when they were testing the movie pass they found their current computer system is bogged down by requests from other stores, which is why you can only use the pass at the store you bought it from. so just imagin what request from a internet database would be like. they're working on some sort of update which wouldn't require hardware upgrades for all stores worldwide (very expensive, in the billions). it'll happen within the year, tho, i'm sure of it. which means you'll also be able to use your pass at any blockbuster store, as long as you returned your other movies ;)

btw, when you get the online pass, as in right now, you start getting free rental coupons in the mail every month. so it's kinda like having their 'rewards' program too

3RA1N1AC
01-11-2005, 11:00 PM
blockbuster and hollywood video have both been sued several times by consumer groups over their late-fee policies. i imagine that blockbuster has ceased charging late fees not because it's fair to the customers, but because they've been feeling the heat from netflix.

people are fed up with paying late-fees that were not properly explained to them when they signed up for their rental accounts, or the fees were hiked up after they signed up, or they bring the video back on the wrong day because a teenaged store clerk accidentally told them the incorrect due date. why put up with that, when they can just have their movies delivered by netflix and not get screwed by unexpected fees? so people have been staying home, and blockbuster needs to give them incentive to leave the house: "okay, okay, we're not gonna rip you off anymore. no more late fees. but if you keep a movie for more than 7 days beyond the return date, then we'll automatically charge your credit card for the full retail price of the movie (minus the original rental price)." there's the catch! instead of late fees, now you've bought the movie if you're more than a week late. of course the commercials don't mention that part, but you can dig it up in the fine print if you're the sort of person who reads fine print. i would not recommend renting top shelf titles (like Criterion Collection dvds) from blockbuster now, if you have trouble returning 'em on time... unless you want them to charge you $40-$50 under their "keep it a week late? keep it forever" policy. :P

but yeah. if blockbuster gets their online inventory diversified with the kind of stuff that keeps netflix customers hooked (has anyone ever seen a blockbuster store with a good, diverse selection of vintage/indie/foreign/anime titles? i haven't!)... then i guess netflix will be finished. and then blockbuster will jack their subscription fees up. 'cause. you know. once the competition's been shut down, you can charge customers whatever the hell you want until the another big competitor comes along. if they come along. maybe. someday.

nsane
01-12-2005, 02:44 AM
they bring the video back on the wrong day because a teenaged store clerk accidentally told them the incorrect due date
the right ones on the receipt. maybe learning to read would help?

but if you keep a movie for more than 7 days beyond the return date, then we'll automatically charge your credit card for the full retail price of the movie (minus the original rental price)." there's the catch! instead of late fees, now you've bought the movie if you're more than a week late.
yes, until you return the movie, then the charge is removed. people would rent them and not return them if there wasn't some sort of charge <_<

has anyone ever seen a blockbuster store with a good, diverse selection of vintage/indie/foreign/anime titles? i haven't!
that's because little punk ass kids steal all the good ones :(

a little tip before ranting on again....responsibility. if you can't learn to return things on time then that's you fault, you KNEW when it was due back. stop trying to transfer the blame ;)

btw, people getting mad like that used to make great entertainment when i was bored working there. i used to smirk and be like "it aint my fault your ass was late lady. YOU knew when it was due, it's your fault. plus i'm just here to push buttons, bitching me out and ganna get your no where. have a nice day." :D

h121589
01-12-2005, 03:19 AM
nah i dont rent dvds i jus d/l them all :-)

Skiz
01-12-2005, 04:42 AM
but if you keep a movie for more than 7 days beyond the return date, then we'll automatically charge your credit card for the full retail price of the movie (minus the original rental price)." there's the catch! instead of late fees, now you've bought the movie if you're more than a week late.

yes, until you return the movie, then the charge is removed. people would rent them and not return them if there wasn't some sort of charge

I don't rent from Blockbuster and haven't for years because they're a bunch of nazi assholes, but out of curiosity, why would that encourage someone to bring the movie back if the charge is credited back to the card? Is there a time limit to where they won't remove it?

3RA1N1AC
01-12-2005, 06:35 AM
blah blippidy blah blah
oh, you've worked in customer service. no wonder the company is always right and the customer's always a complete idiot, the way you explain it. i have responsibility. i return shit on time. your personal anti-customer issues are way off-topic. i mean. maybe you want to live in a world where every customer service number you call is answered by someone who hates your guts, and every hamburger you buy has been spat upon. DARE TO DREAM!

more for the entertainment of other forum members than to argue with nsane, since he's basically gone off on an "i love blockbuster, i hate customers, i will now say you are personally to blame for this and that" troll-trip:

i've kept a membership in good standing with blockbuster for approximately a decade. would it help if i make a big announcement at the end of each transaction? "HI. I JUST FORKED OVER $5 TO RENT THIS THING, SO WHEN YOU PUT IT IN MY HAND, TELL ME THE CORRECT RETURN DATE SO THAT I DON'T HAVE TO COMPARE WHAT YOU SAY WITH WHAT MY RECEIPT SAYS. DO YOUR GODDAMNED JOB, 'CAUSE YOU WORK HERE AND I DON'T. PLEASE FORWARD THIS STATEMENT TO YOUR MANAGER, AS WELL, SO THAT HE KNOWS I WANT HIM TO DO HIS JOB TOO. THANKS." i hardly ever go, though, so i don't have the opportunity to try it out. if anyone here still goes to blockbuster, please try making that speech and let me know if it has any effect.

terms of membership are subject to change at any moment without notice, and so forth and so forth. but really. they found the time and postage to send me a decade worth of junk mail, but they couldn't inform me of even one single change to the membership agreement? "no can do. we're too busy sending out junk mail and collecting late fees, idiot... i mean... er... customer..." yeah. a little courtesy would've been nice. or a free hand-job once in a while, at least.

in summary, netflix is awesome.

Adster
01-13-2005, 12:34 AM
no shit I rent 7 out for $7 and copy them 2 DVDr about 1 hr later.

or a new release $6.50 a night better then paying $30 for the movie hehehe

the Pirate king!! I also print the covers to the DVD covers and the DVD label for teh disk it looks like the real thing then

Adster
01-13-2005, 12:37 AM
i don't do that... its illegal....

i just get the divx rip from the net... lol

(nah... i just haven't mastered the methods yet....)

got news for you

don't know if you were joking or not buyt downloading dix rips is kinda ilegal too

{I}{K}{E}
01-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Keep it on-topic!

muchspl2
01-13-2005, 05:35 AM
I don't think its such a good idea posting about copying rented movies publicly
maybe I just see the FBI logo too often :lol:

Adster
01-13-2005, 05:38 AM
well FBI can come all the way down here in Australian and get me now I want to make the front page of the world paper!!! PM me FBI if your watching il give you my name and address and phone number I challenge you!

worldpease
01-13-2005, 06:00 AM
I think it has been like two weeks since I rent a movie (and there are some good new ones by now), just because I havenīt been able to go to San Diego Ca. (US) to buy some DVD-Rs. So, if I canīt copy them, there isnīt worth renting, lol.

*on a note: just the DVD-R 25pcs. pack is $40 US Dlls (here in Tj Mexico),
when just accros the border, in US is just $11 US Dlls, and they even whant to give me a $5 Dlls. mail-in rebate.

Adster
01-13-2005, 06:04 AM
well DVD media is only just getting cheaper here used to be $4 each.

can get a pack of 10 for about $18

did the mistake of getting 50 princo for $50 cheap shit made about 45 coasters and 5 good copies out of it

worldpease
01-13-2005, 06:07 AM
what is the curency of your prices? (like US Dlls, Pesos, euro, etc)

Adster
01-13-2005, 06:22 AM
atm the 75 cents = 1 US $

3RA1N1AC
01-13-2005, 06:40 AM
did the mistake of getting 50 princo for $50 cheap shit made about 45 coasters and 5 good copies out of it
that's a shame. princo werks great for me. might have something to do with your burner's tolerance for certain brands of cheapo discs.

and yeah. the price drops in each region as the technology becomes more popular there. when there are more people buying it, retailers are able to stock larger quantities at a lower price. apparently Mexicans need to buy more DVD burners and discs, then the prices will drop. :P

worldpease
01-13-2005, 06:46 AM
lol... in the mean time, Iīm glad we have the US.
besides, is in the US they make most of the movies I rent and then copy. :lol:

natedogg
01-13-2005, 06:53 AM
i do it the old fashion way, i record movies from the movie channels and ppv :lol:

Busyman
01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't think its such a good idea posting about copying rented movies publicly
maybe I just see the FBI logo too often :lol:
Look at this logic.....

There is a thread called Do U copy rented DVDs?

Can't really do anything but uhhh...talk about copying er..rented DVDs.

No one's talking about selling them. It's the same thing I did with VHS tapes and 2 VCRS. :dry: Regardless it's called FST.

Anyway Hollywood Video ($10 a month) allows only some new releases but are pretty good for some obscure ones. With Netflix ($17) I immediately rip the movie into the HD and pop it in the mail the next day.

btw my last batch of DVD+Rs cost 6 cents a disc.
My last batch of CD-Rs were free.

Buy them on Black Friday, that's the key. Basically ALLLL electronic purchases for Black Friday.

CD-Rs are usually free after rebate and DVD+Rs are damn near free (5 50-packs at $3 per pack).

If you stock up on that day, there's no need to re-up until the next year.

ButWay
01-15-2005, 01:12 PM
nah usually I just download the DVD I want.

And now for the real reason I posted. Busyman what the h*ll is black Friday, some sort of sale one assumes... well just curious

Hanz™
01-15-2005, 02:03 PM
I (in the UK) copy DVD's I get from screenselect, however I think they are throttling my rental now, as often if i send 3 DVD's back on the day I get them, I will not get another 3 until next week (even though I have approx 60 DVD's in my queue - and they have recieved them on time).
They have also found a way of making me recieve them on saturdays alomost all the time - by sending the DVD's off on Thursday or Friday.

I have copied approx. 100 DVD's though - I still buy 2 or 3 DVD's a year which is about how much I usually used to.

Does anybody have any Ideas of how I could get round this.

Busyman
01-17-2005, 01:02 PM
nah usually I just download the DVD I want.

And now for the real reason I posted. Busyman what the h*ll is black Friday, some sort of sale one assumes... well just curious
Black Friday = the day after Thanksgiving = the third Friday in November

It's the best sale day of the year.

It signifies the start of the Christmas shopping season.
Major rebates drop prices.

DVD players - $15
CD-Rs and half-size jewel cases - free
250 GB HDs - $70
512 MB SD cards - $25
universal remote controls - free
paper shredders - free
ethernet cards - free
routers - $10
52" HD TV's - $800
.......and so on

Skillian
01-18-2005, 03:16 AM
I (in the UK) copy DVD's I get from screenselect, however I think they are throttling my rental now, as often if i send 3 DVD's back on the day I get them, I will not get another 3 until next week (even though I have approx 60 DVD's in my queue - and they have recieved them on time).
They have also found a way of making me recieve them on saturdays alomost all the time - by sending the DVD's off on Thursday or Friday.

I have copied approx. 100 DVD's though - I still buy 2 or 3 DVD's a year which is about how much I usually used to.

Does anybody have any Ideas of how I could get round this.

Quit and move to lovefilm.com?

They have a better selection anyway.

UltimatePoser
01-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Hanz or anyone i'm renting dvds with screenselect and did so to rip a few of my favourite dvds trouble is i cant rip em i've used vstrip, dvd decrypter, smartripper, dvd shrink, dvd x copy platinum and they cant rip em so seeing as you can rip em can you tell me your secret plz...........i'm fairly knowledgable in this sort of field so you dont need to ask me if i have a dvd rewriter cheers.

Any help from anyone on this is appreciated.

Thanks

Peerzy
01-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Can't rip em

Not really going into detial are we? We need more info? What error messages when do you get the errors?

UltimatePoser
01-28-2005, 06:22 PM
true...........sorry.........LET ME PAINT A PICTURE

All my commercial dvds bought from shops- i use a cracked version of dvd x copy platinum fine luvely copies them all great..............i stick a rented dvd in the drive it picks up all the chapters la de dah then spits it out and says "missing ifo file" obviously theres a lttle number in the file name of the ifo but i checked that the neccesary file that it says is missing is actually on the dvd so what is it talking about??

Smartripper, dvd encrypter, vstrip and dvdshrink all say generic errors which i think link to the same thing basically they are saying communication faults with the dvd drive.

Something else: i cannot play these rented dvds on my system but can commercial ones bought from shops SO DO YOU THINK THAT POINTS TO A DVD DECODER PROBLEM?? and therefor an authentication problem i.e the video stream needs to be unlocked so to speak before it can be ripped?

Thanks for any help in exchange for any help on this matter i can normally help with anything related to cracking, hacking, spoofing, warez etc if theres anyone that wants help in this field.

HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE SOON!!??

cheers

Busyman
01-28-2005, 07:13 PM
That's weird.

I can rip DVD's with DVDShrink or One-Click and can play them on a PS2. :huh:

cellardoor
01-29-2005, 01:24 PM
I do about 32 movies a week. 8 from netflix and 8 from bb online. Copy the day the come in and send them back the same day. Mail comes around 11:00 and I take them to the post office accros the street which picks them up at 5:00:) It can be tiresome sometimes. Oh and 2 at atime from the wantedlist.com a porn version of netflix.

Jibbler
01-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Well, Im just curius about how many people still use that method
Is there a better method?

Peerzy
01-29-2005, 04:02 PM
That's weird.

I can rip DVD's with DVDShrink or One-Click and can play them on a PS2. :huh:

Bad media.

@UltimatePoser - Its true rental copies do come with added protection over store brought ones as rentals are usually avaiable before the retial store date. Its possible your dvd burner not having a feature.

Unikum
01-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Yes. I've done it a few times..

browser
01-29-2005, 05:52 PM
I just got Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 from Blockbuster (UK). I am on the 1 month free trial and have copied every disc so far with no problem.

These 2 discs;

Vol 1- Cracked so I will send back
Vol 2- Plays fine on my DVD player but when I play it on my PC the audio is filled with other crackling noise the whole time. (It's not my speakers..i checked with other video files.)

Could it be that the rental copy does this or is it some other problem?

Jibbler
01-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I just got Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2 from Blockbuster (UK). I am on the 1 month free trial and have copied every disc so far with no problem.

These 2 discs;

Vol 1- Cracked so I will send back
Vol 2- Plays fine on my DVD player but when I play it on my PC the audio is filled with other crackling noise the whole time. (It's not my speakers..i checked with other video files.)

Could it be that the rental copy does this or is it some other problem?

Sounds like copy protection to me.

Wizards_Bitch
01-29-2005, 11:09 PM
DVD Shrink alone isnt really that great at combatting Decryption. Try DVD Decryptor then DVD Shrink. I have been with Blockbuster online for a while now but sick of waiting for favourite releases and end up calling at local Video shop so yeah I copy them!

UltimatePoser
01-31-2005, 09:14 PM
Bad media.

@UltimatePoser - Its true rental copies do come with added protection over store brought ones as rentals are usually avaiable before the retial store date. Its possible your dvd burner not having a feature.

Hi everyone, yep Peerzy you were right FOR EVERYONE OUT THERE LOOKING TO BURN RENTAL DVDS for god sake if you know whats good for you stay away from EMPREX dvd r/w drives that was the problem all along even after flashing the firmware and trying every different dvd decoder/software outhere..............its fine for burning the movies though........ its just the ripping that the poor pathetic dvd rom part of it cant cope with, theres someting thats on a rental dvd that it just didnt like.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to listen to my plight but its now over, i'm ripping disk after disk now with dvd x copy platinum works fine and along with a pioneer dvd rom drive that i bought for Ģ4 from PCWORLD (Ģ4!! i hear you say) yep i work for em and i rip them off too ;)

Laters :D

Peerzy
01-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Funny my drive is an Emprex as well. It refused to burn dvd discs when i first got it but after a firmware update it rips and burns perfect.

Mine is an 8X Single Layer DVD-/+rw drive, dunno the model number though.