PDA

View Full Version : What type of Forum Member are you?

100%
01-11-2005, 07:44 PM
I post this here because I am sure you will appreciate the analysis.

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/

alot of truths can be found - although in most cases it is a mix of characters which embody a member
however a bit too many personas....
although aren't we all unique?

TheDave
01-11-2005, 08:13 PM
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/bigcat.htm

Big Cat would rather not fight...he enjoys peacefully observing forum conversations and laconically participates when the moods strikes. He playfully chases interesting threads, and from time to time uses a Newbie or Propellerhead as a convenient scratching post. He enjoys being stroked or petted, and tends to purr loudly. CAUTION: Don't be fooled by his fuzzy, playful exterior. When provoked, Big Cat reacts with lightning speed and almost always lands on his feet after an attack. Big Cat often indulges himself by toying with his victim before delivering his lethal blows.

i'd like to think this me :ph34r:

manker
01-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Yeah, right Dave :D

I dont know which is me but they're funny and for almost everyone I read I think "that's like ... ."

It would be unfair to equate these caricatures to other people, I feel http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/angel_not.gif

TheDave
01-11-2005, 08:26 PM
:lol: :(

(>Zero Cool<)
01-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Yeah, right Dave :D

I dont know which is me but they're funny and for almost everyone I read I think "that's like ... ."

It would be unfair to equate these caricatures to other people, I feel http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/angel_not.gif

unfair ....perhaps :unsure:
fun.....indeed ;)

TheDave
01-11-2005, 08:44 PM
who's me? who's me?

(>Zero Cool<)
01-11-2005, 08:48 PM
who's me? who's me?

you are inviting...no in fact asking manker to pigeonhole you???? :ohmy:

On your own head be it :unsure: ........manker take it away :01:

manker
01-11-2005, 09:27 PM
who's me? who's me?Team chat says him (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/rebelwithoutclue.htm) :P

You're not tho' but I cant find a suitable one. I seen myself all over that site :ph34r:

TheDave
01-11-2005, 10:14 PM
:shifty:

100%
01-11-2005, 10:34 PM
On the outer layer : I would have presented the layout of the site in a scroll formation, for easier scanning.
The Patience of forum members is limited
The pictures become too stereotypical (and soft) after the first five.
As a "member" of (forum) "discussion groups" as they call it, i am also interested in the actual "concept" of a forum and am trying to understand the absurdity of this social "need" which i have found myself leaning towards.
It is strange and fascinating how one "charectirizes" members by there responses , their avatar and other info (sigs etc)
yet in the end all there is are "words"

tesco
01-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Who am I?
It's ok, be honest. :shifty:

Biggles
01-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Tis disturbing indeed. I think I will refrain from identifying myself. :ph34r:

Although there are a couple I wouldn't mind being, I suspect I might fall into a category less comfortable for teh ego. :ermm:

manker
01-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Who am I?
It's ok, be honest. :shifty:

I imagine you to be rather more aesthetically pleasing than the chap in the pic ... but you're a bit like him (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/propellerhead.htm) :D

tesco
01-11-2005, 11:25 PM
I imagine you to be rather more aesthetically pleasing than the chap in the pic ... but you're a bit like him (http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/propellerhead.htm) :D
:dry: way off.
My hat is orange and green. :01:

jk. :P

manker
01-11-2005, 11:34 PM
As a "member" of (forum) "discussion groups" as they call it, i am also interested in the actual "concept" of a forum and am trying to understand the absurdity of this social "need" which i have found myself leaning towards.
It is strange and fascinating how one "charectirizes" members by there responses , their avatar and other info (sigs etc)
yet in the end all there is are "words"I too wonder about this.

It's much easier to log onto a forum and chat with many people to enthrall - or not - at their viewpoints, rather than organise a night with many RL friends. It's not really a substitute but is still a valid form of social intraction, and we all need/crave that.

Althought we only see words, it doesnt require a great leap to imagine the person typing them and when a member posts a pic of some small part of their life it can be quite an event. The written medium being the default accentuates this.

All in all, forum dwelling provides a refreshing and entertaining change to what society deems 'real life'.

Cheese
01-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Cyber Sisters are an extremely fierce confederation of fighting females who act something like a shrill Greek chorus, echoing and amplifying one another's voice until their foes retreat in disarray. They are generally leaderless, but anyone who challenges one Cyber Sister can expect to be savagely attacked by the others. Only the most powerful and battle-hardened of Warriors is strong enough to weather a Cyber Sisters attack.

Not sure who I'm thinking of here... :mockinnocence:

Rat Faced
01-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Im scared to ask... :unsure:

tesco
01-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I too wonder about this.

It's much easier to log onto a forum and chat with many people to enthrall - or not - at their viewpoints, rather than organise a night with many RL friends. It's not really a substitute but is still a valid form of social intraction, and we all need/crave that.

Althought we only see words, it doesnt require a great leap to imagine the person typing them and when a member posts a pic of some small part of their life it can be quite an event. The written medium being the default accentuates this.

All in all, forum dwelling provides a refreshing and entertaining change to what society deems 'real life'.
I use it as a place to talk about computers originally.
Now it's just a habit. ;)

ahctlucabbuS
01-11-2005, 11:57 PM
It's a habit for me as well.

I might not post too regulary, so it's more of a lurking habit I fear :ph34r:

3RA1N1AC
01-12-2005, 12:37 AM
heh heh. i hadn't looked at that site in a while. some of the descriptions are really well-written. i perused most of them, trying to figure out where "libertarian" fits in... 'cause i was just reading a libertarian rant in some forum via google, and it reminded me that they always sound like nutters who've been translated into a completely alien language and then translated back into english. the grammar is correct but the words are all assigned new definitions, or they've made up a bunch of new words that sound similar to existing words.

the site had 'em listed among trogs, but i think the hardcore 'tarians are really more strange than that. they deserve to be placed in a social category alongside scientologists and other culties for all the proselytizing and long-winded introductions to their particular brands of lunacy (i.e. "i will now give you a treatise on engrams/coercivists/UFOs/etc in order to prepare you for communication with me"). and language-mangling. the way cults tend to devise almost a whole new vocab so that the ideas behind the vocabulary remain murky until you're initiated into their group. if a guy is such a freethinker, why is he standing in a group with 20 other guys who all sort of look & think similar to himself and all share an affinity for over-using the word "freethinker" to describe their subscription to the same beliefs?

"i see by your beliefs that you are a freethinker."
"i see by your nearly identical beliefs that you're a freethinker, too."

edit: as for which of those forum characters suits me best... i dunno, for sure. i thought i was a little of this, a little of that. sometimes i'm in the mood to answer questions and dole out advice, sometimes i want to seriously argue about whatever topics, sometimes i just want to throw in a joke or a brief comment/reference and go back to lurking for a while. my sparring tactics prolly correspond to whatever discussion mode i was in before the argument started. that prolly describes a lot of people though. some days they're mature(-ish), some days they're big fuggin' crybabies, some days you couldn't goad 'em into a fight no matter how hard you try.

Rick Phlegm
01-12-2005, 01:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Jesus_DeSade/lurker.jpg

DanB
01-12-2005, 01:19 AM
:unsure: I don't think I want to know

hobbes
01-12-2005, 01:57 AM
heh heh. i hadn't looked at that site in a while. some of the descriptions are really well-written. i perused most of them, trying to figure out where "libertarian" fits in... 'cause i was just reading a libertarian rant in some forum via google, and it reminded me that they always sound like nutters who've been translated into a completely alien language and then translated back into english. the grammar is correct but the words are all assigned new definitions, or they've made up a bunch of new words that sound similar to existing words.

the site had 'em listed among trogs, but i think the hardcore 'tarians are really more strange than that. they deserve to be placed in a social category alongside scientologists and other culties for all the proselytizing and long-winded introductions to their particular brands of lunacy (i.e. "i will now give you a treatise on engrams/coercivists/UFOs/etc in order to prepare you for communication with me"). and language-mangling. the way cults tend to devise almost a whole new vocab so that the ideas behind the vocabulary remain murky until you're initiated into their group. if a guy is such a freethinker, why is he standing in a group with 20 other guys who all sort of look & think similar to himself and all share an affinity for over-using the word "freethinker" to describe their subscription to the same beliefs?

"i see by your beliefs that you are a freethinker."
"i see by your nearly identical beliefs that you're a freethinker, too."

edit: as for which of those forum characters suits me best... i dunno, for sure. i thought i was a little of this, a little of that. sometimes i'm in the mood to answer questions and dole out advice, sometimes i want to seriously argue about whatever topics, sometimes i just want to throw in a joke or a brief comment/reference and go back to lurking for a while. my sparring tactics prolly correspond to whatever discussion mode i was in before the argument started. that prolly describes a lot of people though. some days they're mature(-ish), some days they're big fuggin' crybabies, some days you couldn't goad 'em into a fight no matter how hard you try.

You are a rambling assembler of wordbricks!- A masonary madman, if you will.

Vanilla_Girl
01-12-2005, 05:04 AM
um... hi ^_^
Im a newbie atm. Prolly not going to be the most active member but I'll post here and there.

3RA1N1AC
01-12-2005, 06:51 AM
You are a rambling assembler of wordbricks!- A masonary madman, if you will.
shove it, gay-lord! >:|

i've got a cold and it's making me anxious. normally i'd just delete my almost-completed response and go have a smoke, but today i'm hitting SUBMIT.

BUT YEAH. TRUE. keeping it brief and to the point is not my strongest suit. accurately observed, hobbes.

Wallace_Askew
01-12-2005, 10:47 AM
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/lurker.htm

uNz[i]
01-12-2005, 06:25 PM
To quote the sage philosophy of Popeye - I yam what I yam.

Anyone for spinach? :01:

Biggles
01-12-2005, 09:15 PM
um... hi ^_^
Im a newbie atm. Prolly not going to be the most active member but I'll post here and there.

:ohmy:

Another one ... this is a tad scary!

:ermm:

Nevertheless, welcome to teh board. :lol:

SpatulaGeekGirl
01-12-2005, 10:19 PM
um... hi ^_^

It's Gackt!!!! :w00t:

Welcome to da board Vanilla_Girl. :01:

SuperJude™
01-13-2005, 12:23 AM
I love the Flame Warrior site. One of my tactics actually to really get to the smarmy script kiddies is to link to something lame at that site and then accuse said l4m0r of being whichever one chosen.

Personally I wish there was one called Ronin, cause that would be me.

However, amongst the available list of flame warriors, y'all who know me can testify:

SuperJude™ would be Big Dog.

;)

-SJ™

j2k4
01-13-2005, 09:21 PM
I love the Flame Warrior site. One of my tactics actually to really get to the smarmy script kiddies is to link to something lame at that site and then accuse said l4m0r of being whichever one chosen.

Personally I wish there was one called Ronin, cause that would be me.

However, amongst the available list of flame warriors, y'all who know me can testify:

SuperJude™ would be Big Dog.

;)

-SJ™

Just so, although I qualify as "Expert" in the catagory of Hot-foot: Cyber-Class. :P

'Jude is Napalm/Scorched-Earth: Open-Class, owing to his quick-draw, Sonny Corleone style. :D