PDA

View Full Version : wow...i'm cursed

Mr. Elmo
01-12-2005, 12:57 AM
i have went through 2 motherboard in the last 2 months, neither have worked upon arrival. i went to newegg last week, ordered a Epox EP-8RDA3I and it arrived today. got it, poped it in, and i get a "FF" boot code on the LED. As far as i understand, "FF" either mean sucessful boot, or total failure. if it doesnt go through other code and goes straight to FF upon power up, its total failure....and that is the case.

now back into the box it goes, another $7 to send it back to newegg, $8 restocking fee....

*sigh* how can newegg do this to me....

but on the other hand, 3 motherboard did the same thing, power up the fan, hdd, just no boot....could this be a cpu problem? DAMNIT...i have no other amd system to put my Amd in....

guess I'll try an Asus....hopes it work, if not, im going to say "fuck it" and upgrade to 64bit

Virtualbody1234
01-12-2005, 01:00 AM
FF is at the end of the POST. Ready to load.

Mr. Elmo
01-12-2005, 01:05 AM
not if it goes straight to FF upon powerup and my screen is blank :(

Virtualbody1234
01-12-2005, 01:10 AM
Did you clear the CMOS?

Mr. Elmo
01-12-2005, 01:17 AM
yea, cleared cmos, but what's weird is that even though the cmos is in "clear" it still powered up, heck, even w/o the cap on either cmos setting, it still powered up.

shouldn't it....not power up if the cmos is set to clear?

i've tried 2 different memory stick, tried removing everything execpt videocard.

still nothing :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

lynx
01-12-2005, 01:23 AM
tried removing everything execpt videocard. Try removing the video card (I bet it's a Radeon).

tesco
01-12-2005, 01:27 AM
you might be doing something wrong with the CPU. :blink:

3 motherboards is dead bad luck. :huh:

Spicker
01-12-2005, 01:39 AM
ok 3 mobos...is not luck...its probably what lynx said...the radeon....also do u have the copper standoffs installed on ur case before u put the screws for the mobo..?

Virtualbody1234
01-12-2005, 01:50 AM
yea, cleared cmos, but what's weird is that even though the cmos is in "clear" it still powered up, heck, even w/o the cap on either cmos setting, it still powered up.

shouldn't it....not power up if the cmos is set to clear?

i've tried 2 different memory stick, tried removing everything execpt videocard.

still nothing :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
Powering up the board while the jumper is set to 'Clear CMOS' will cause damage to the board. NEVER DO THAT!

Mr. Elmo
01-12-2005, 02:12 AM
yup, have the copper, have the standoff.

w/o the videocard, it's still a "FF" as soon as i turn it on. I've tried switching the radeon with a old mx4000 but still no luck.....maybe newegg hates me.

zapjb
01-12-2005, 02:33 AM
Buy Asus or Abit.

Spicker
01-12-2005, 02:44 AM
lol i read ur post again...U CLEARED UR CMOS BY TuRNING IT ON in clear cmos postion??:o !!!!

LOL!!!

try taking out the battery instead of using jumper....

and do it When the MOBO IS OFFF!!!!

Virtualbody1234
01-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Does it beep?

Mr. Elmo
01-12-2005, 04:08 AM
lol i read ur post again...U CLEARED UR CMOS BY TuRNING IT ON in clear cmos postion??:o !!!!

LOL!!!

obvisouly you cant read too well....i said it have it set to cleared, i've tried turning it on with it set to clear.....

btw, I ThInK YoU aRe SoOoOOOO cOoL

tesco
01-12-2005, 01:30 PM
So does it get a beep when you turn it on? (internal speaker has to be connected).

You're using those copper risers right? (between motherboard and case)

the power supply is known to be working? how many watts?

try disconnecting all of the drives, pci cards, video card, everything but ram, cpu and heatsink/fan and try again.

Mr. Elmo
01-12-2005, 05:39 PM
i dont have an internal speakers lying around :(

yes, copper standoffs and those plastic ones that came with the case

I've tried 2 PSU, 1 300watt the other is 550watt.

I've tried that, didnt work, i've even tried to disconnect everything BUT the motherboard, no cpu, no ram, no vid....to see if it gives me any other post code. As soon as i turned it on , the LED shows "FF" :no: :no: :no: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Mr. Elmo
01-12-2005, 07:19 PM
just placed an order for another motherboard....Aopen ak79. I've read a lot of professional reviews on this board and it scores quite well on all of the reviews it had recieved. The oc capabilities seem to be good, lots of extra features, and most important, its not priced too high as i am tire of my money taken away on restocking fee....(more $$$ boards, more $$$ restocking fees)

if this doesnt work, it is probably my cpu...in which case, i am going to return the motherboard and get a amd64 system

this motherboard has an internal speaker so hopefully i'll get find out what exactly the problem is

Spicker
01-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Try emailing newegg and explain ur situation and what u have been through maybe they can cut the Restocking fees for u... ;)

btw i know im k00l :cool:

Mr. Elmo
01-14-2005, 08:09 PM
well...it's not the motherboard...i guess.

3rd motherboard arrived, same thing, woohooo for a new cpu :(

put the motherboard in, turned it on, and i get a weird beep sequence which i have no clue what it means...i've check the phoenix bios beep code...

but w/o the cpu on the motherboard, the internal speaker would not beep....with the cpu in, it beeps. How can it be a faulty cpu if the speaker only beep with the cpu in it's socket.....arg....so frustrating

Snee
01-14-2005, 08:12 PM

LOL!!!

I once left the jumper set to "clear" and turned my 'puter on, years ago.

Nothing broke, but it went "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" until I pulled the plug.

Not my finest hour.

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-14-2005, 08:31 PM
I have an AMD sitting here, and the mobo went bad, and took the CPU with it, I didnt find it out untill i got a new board also (but it didnt take me 3 mobos, lol) good luck with your new system.:)

Mr. Elmo
01-14-2005, 10:11 PM
yea, now i have to rma this board...and spend $300 on amd64 system

oh well, at least i'll be able to play CS:S and HL2 on the new setup