PDA

View Full Version : NY Mets - Buying a WS??

rookiecrd1
01-12-2005, 02:27 PM
First it was Signing Pedro Martnez
then it was signing Carlos Beltron (over paid for him)
now they are looking at signing Carlos Delgado and possible trading for Sammy Sosa

Looks like the Mets are serious about winning it this year.

Beltran isn't worth 20 million a year. His numbers are pretty much the same as Bobby Abreu's, and Abreu sign a contract worth a whole lot less.

Brian

RPerry
01-12-2005, 10:28 PM
its ok Brian, The Mets haven't won a series since 86, and the Yankees try to buy one every year. :rolleyes:

rookiecrd1
01-13-2005, 01:52 AM
I actually took a class called "Sociology of Sport" in college. It was rather interesting. Studies showed that teams (all sports) that had turn over of players at the central positions tend to have below average seasons. In baseball the central positions are Catcher, 2nd Base, SS, and CF.

In football they are Center, the 2 Guards, and the QB on Offense, and I think the linebackers on defense.

In Basketball I believe that it was the 2 guards and center.

ibadk
01-13-2005, 05:14 PM
k, first of all i don't agree at all with the salary cap rules in baseball. It leaves for absolutly no competition in the league for teams that have rich owners will continue to flurish, and those that are less fortunate will diwindle down in a spiral that will eventually lead to their collapse. Take the Expos for example, fans want to see a winning team, and now a'days in baseball it isn't possible without coughing up 100 million per player. Unfortunatly, you gotta do what you gotta do, and in these circumstances I believe that the mets r doing exactly what needs to be done in order to win a championship. Good job.

IbAdNesS the MAdNEsS

primo
01-13-2005, 09:39 PM
if they didnt have a salary cap... the same thing would just happen except like 10x worse.

the rich teams will get ALL the good players and leave the not so rich with scrubs

SingaBoiy
01-14-2005, 02:36 PM
if they didnt have a salary cap... the same thing would just happen except like 10x worse.

the rich teams will get ALL the good players and leave the not so rich with scrubs
Nooo.... it would be more like football.

The best players would eventually get spread around. Giving any team a chance to compete.